• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value on a Qualified GLOD book?

8 posts in this topic

I had my Hulk #1 come back a 1.8 Green Label with a married first wrap. How do I price this book for investment and/or insurance purposes? I'm a little more familiar with guessing values on restored books, but not Green Label books. I would appreciate any input.

I too would like to understand how it's a green and not a purple label

qualified.jpg?cb=2018-04-23

Qualified Label (Green)

A Qualified label is used by CGC for collectibles that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, a comic book with a missing coupon that otherwise grades 6.0 will receive a Qualified grade, avoiding a considerably lower grade. CGC would give this book a Qualified grade of 6.0 and a Label Text notation “COUPON MISSING FROM PAGE 10, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY.” Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as “NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER.”

restored.jpg?cb=2018-04-23

Restored Label (Purple)

This label is applied to any comic book that has evidence of repair so that it will appear as it did when it was in its original condition. Restoration can come in a variety of degrees, from slight professional restoration (A-1) to extensive amateur restoration (C-5). View the CGC Restoration Grading Scale

On 12/1/2021 at 5:47 PM, john72tex said:

I had my Hulk #1 come back a 1.8 Green Label with a married first wrap. How do I price this book?

Here's an appropriate (and very extensive) database to get you started: a listing of 100+ actual sales of comics that received CGC Qualified Grades as a result of a married cover or wrap (courtesy of the Heritage Auction Archives).  Now, all you have to do is determine the amount/percent each "married" specimen has been discounted/reduced by comparing its sale price to a contemporaneous CGC Universal Grade sale of the same issue in the same grade.  Simple, but time-consuming.  (thumbsu

It should go without saying that the results of this analysis will apply only to books qualified as a result of married covers/wraps.  The results will not be applicable to books qualified as a result of other features, such as an unwitnessed creator signature on the cover, a centerfold detached at a single staple, cleaned/replaced staples, a cover detached at a single staple, having been removed from a bound volume, or being incomplete (with one or more missing leaves or wraps), etc.  :preach:

On 4/20/2022 at 12:50 PM, Azeroth said:

I have a 1993 SSM #200 CGC 9.6 qualified grade with Sal Buscema auto and a COA number 2041/5000. Is this going to affect the price?

Every aspect, feature and defect of each comic has some say in its ultimate market value.