• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any love for CGC graded 7.0 - 8.5???

28 posts in this topic

I guess the way I am thinking, as CGC becomes more entrenched into the hobby, maybe in 5 to 10 years it's all about CGC graded books.

I don't know anything really! I only own one CGC book, which I brought pre0-slabbed... the more I think about it, the more I feel I overpaid.

I am an Amazing Spider-man collector only, with a limited budget. I recently purchased a 9.6 Signature Series ASM Vol 2 #38 (Aunt may talks to Peter about being Spider-man). I paid $41 (including the shipping). I'm happy with the book, so I guess that's what counts, but I also am in the hobby for some potential pay off down the road. Who knows??

I just see on Ebay, slabbed CGC 7.0 - 8.5 bronze age ASM's for $25 - $35, at times I get tempted to buy them. I figure it costs about $17 to get them slabbed, and the Overstreet value is $15, so I am getting a deal. Thoughts?

By the way, im just re-entering the hobby since I stopped collecting as a kid in the late 80's. Still learning the new business!

Is it worth buying CGC mid-grade (7.0 - 8.5) books? I'm not really talking about key issues or rare books, im asking about average books from the 60's - 70's and even early to mid 80's.

Others will be able to answer the question better. Regarding golden age, you might wish to consider a VF+ before they are all upgraded to NM.

Do not take the cost of slabbing into account when buying a book,unless you are planning to slab the raw copy you buy instead.

Buying a $5 book for $22 simply because its in a slab is something almost every newbie does.Thats why you'll see books like Micronauts 3 floating around ebay.

I find 7.5 to be a perfectly acceptable grade for key SA issues...A 6.0 - 7.5 GA is also quite a treat sometimes...BA gimmee 9.2 as a min grade...MA toss 'em no matter what the grade... takeit.gif

These are pretty much my thoughts as well sumo.gif

I bought- 5-10 of these sorts of books a few years ago, but mainly see how CGC was grading these things. Looking back, I probably paid too much given that I was willing to pay around guide for these exemplars. Of course, they seemed to grade tighter back then.