• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10% off to Board members sale starts today! *** Plus more important info

41 posts in this topic

Starting today and running through the 28th of October is a special sale for Board members only.

Anything you see on my website is available for this 10% discount.

When you get to my website you can click on the buttons at the left of my Home page and search through any way you like, or you can click on the FEATURED ITEMS at the right side of my Home page and look at pictures in alphabetical order. Only about a quarter of the books will show up by using the FEATURED ITEMS, so I do reccomend clicking on the other buttons as well.

The seach engine is pretty easy and you don't have to type the entire title. You can just type bat (for batman), hou (for House Of Mystery), str (for strange Adventures or Strange Tales), etc.

You will get the hang of it after a short while.

You see something your really want? Well send me an email and let's talk! I am here to work with you and if it is possible, I will make it work.

I have nearly two thousand CGC grade books on my website and access to more, so take a look!

PGC Mint - Huge assortment of CGC graded NM books

My email is pgcmintsales@aol.com

ALL my CGC graded blue books are guaranteed to be unrestored, untrimmed, etc, unless noted clearly on the label. I believe in the product and so should you.

I look forward to hearing from you

Mark Wilson

Starting today and running through the 28th of October is a special sale for Board members only.

Cool. cool.gif

Don't take this the wrong way but your books are too nice. Way outta my league. hail.gif

Cool. cool.gif

Don't take this the wrong way but your books are too nice. Way outta my league. hail.gif

Ditto.

I don't think I've ever seen a book too nice for me. These book are just too darn expensive. Nice I can handle -- unreasonably expensive... no thanks.

Well, if you see anything you want, drop me an email and let's see if we can't work something out.

I have been in this business since 1970 as a collector and then as a dealer, and without question the very top end of the hobby, the best books, have always been difficult to acquire. I built the PGC Mint on this foundation, stepping up and paying the large dollars to acquire the very best.

Yes, the books are pricey but what you get is prime condition books, are guaranteed.

Again, let's see if we can do some business and I will do my best to make it work.

Mark

I've done time payments with Mark in the past, when I was buying comics. He's very easy to work with, willing to stretch it out and very professional. Alot of dealers either aren't willing to or are just unable to (money wise) to do it that way. And now that I deal with OA only, time payments are really the only way to get the higher ticket items.....and it's always worth it.....

I'm another one who thinks the prices at PGC Mint are way beyond high -- they're ludicrous. I stopped visiting the site long ago, because of this. If you offered 50% off, most of your books would STILL be too high.

> You see something your really want? Well send

> me an email and let's talk!

Do you like negotiating with used car salesmen? I absolutely hate it. I hate haggling about prices.

That sentiment of "let's talk" is frustrating. I have a better idea -- put your best price on the book and sell it for that price. I hate haggling so much, that if everything on your site is negotiable, I'll just pass.

There's an interesting test case coming up -- Magnus #13 in CGC 9.6. You have one for sale for $395. The other 9.6 is currently up on eBay -- item 6569977769. It has a current bid of $36, which does not meet reserve. It will be interesting to see what the market price is on that book.

gozer

--------------------------

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but

somehow I managed to fit in eight hours of TV a day.

I'm another one who thinks the prices at PGC Mint are way beyond high -- they're ludicrous. I stopped visiting the site long ago, because of this. If you offered 50% off, most of your books would STILL be too high.

Do you like negotiating with used car salesmen? I absolutely hate it. I hate haggling about prices.

That sentiment of "let's talk" is frustrating. I have a better idea -- put your best price on the book and sell it for that price. I hate haggling so much, that if everything on your site is negotiable, I'll just pass.

There's an interesting test case coming up -- Magnus #13 in CGC 9.6. You have one for sale for $395. The other 9.6 is currently up on eBay -- item 6569977769. It has a current bid of $36, which does not meet reserve. It will be interesting to see what the market price is on that book.

gozer

Can we be civil and just thank Mark for making the offer. If you still think the price is too high, then either email him with an offer or move on.

If we bash all dealers because we feel that their prices are too high (I'm not say they are or they aren't), they won't continue to be on these boards (and give us forum members any deals).

Everyone wishes that dealers would just list the book at the bare minimum price they would take, but that's not the way it works. Anybody putting a reserve on a book on eBay is basically putting a minimum price but negotiating for more (as people bid).

The problem isn't Ebay or that the dealers' prices are too high. If a dealer sells books or whatever and gets their asking price, then there is no incentive to lower prices. If someone was willing to pay , for example, 5k for a book, then why would he lower it ? - True, prices seem aggressive, but it's still a sellers' market on certian books.....especially the crowd that a few dealers deal in.....

gozer

Can we be civil and just thank Mark for making the offer. If you still think the price is too high, then either email him with an offer or move on.

If we bash all dealers because we feel that their prices are too high (I'm not say they are or they aren't), they won't continue to be on these boards (and give us forum members any deals).

Everyone wishes that dealers would just list the book at the bare minimum price they would take, but that's not the way it works. Anybody putting a reserve on a book on eBay is basically putting a minimum price but negotiating for more (as people bid).

Thank you! The guy wouldn't be in business if he wasn't selling books at the listed prices...so why lower them?

He might work a deal for you but if you think his prices are so astronomical, move on! No reason to bash the man...he has a lot of books that I'd like to own but I don't bash him simply because his prices are out of my league. popcorn.gif

I'm another one who thinks the prices at PGC Mint are way beyond high -- they're ludicrous. I stopped visiting the site long ago, because of this.....

gozer

Hi gozer

I read your post response and am thinking them over. You have some points and I agree that there are certain books that need to be re-priced because of market changes and I will work on this all through this next week. However, there are many that are priced very fair based on rarity in their grade.

I have seen most every pedigree collection known and had samples from many. I have been at this since 1970, visiting conventions, dealing through mail order, and have found that true NM books are very difficult to acquire. I would purchase hundreds of collections that would yield only very small percentages of true NM books, the average was less than one-tenth of one percent. I learned from years of experience just how scarce NM books were.

When I opened the PGC Mint in 2001, my goal was to focus on that tiny piece of the market, the very high end. CGC allowed a unique opportunity as it flushed out all of these fantastic high grade books. Learning how to price has been a real chore because it depends on so many factors. The GPA and ebay results are two wonderful gauges that we can go to for assistance but they are by no means complete.

Ebay shows sales of what certain people will pay during a given week, and the GPA reports prices that are public and in the past. They do not reflect private transactions, convention transactions, nor store transactions. Ebay is a clearing house to assemble quick cash and therefore extremely volatile, with prices swaying widely, especially with more esoteric items.

Even Heritage, as large as they are, do not handle bids but from a small percentage of our collecting community.

So pricing becomes far more difficult than one may assume, especially if the dealer (me in this instance) is willing to step up and pay full price for many items. I do not buy my books unslabbed at a fraction of cost, have them slabbed and then offer them at high prices to make a huge profit. I have done that (and wish I could figure a way to find more raw NM books) but more than 95% of my inventory came to me already slabbed. I believe in this section of the hobby and find CGC to be far tougher and consistant than any graders I have encountered since 1970. Consequently I strongly support this market that I make my sales in. Even in light of the recent controversy, CGC graded books are still a quantum leap above the old days.

I also really enjoy the books!

I wish I could get these books at the prices you think they are worth but I just can't find them that cheap. Perhaps you have a larger inventory than I have and would be willing to sell to me?

If you do, please contact me with prices and I will seriously purchace quite a bit from you, because it seems that you have a pipeline to some fantastic opportunities that I can't seem to find.

FInal note: I will pay $250.00, as a dealer, for that Magnus #13 CGC 9.6 if it has nice pages and no notes. So, anyone who buys it can always send it to me.

Take care

Mark

Ebay is a clearing house to assemble quick cash and therefore extremely volatile, with prices swaying widely, especially with more esoteric items.

Even Heritage, as large as they are, do not handle bids but from a small percentage of our collecting community.

Mark, you might like to search the forums for some statistics I wrote showing this not to be true - eBay often shows up with record prices.

George.

Once again Mark, don't let the "haters' bother you.

Where I think most dealers seem to "offend" potential clients, is with the higher graded books, that are actually rather common in high grade.

Example Fantastic Four #78 in CGC 9.4.

That book is very common. You have a price of $250 (guide is $65 in NM-). Now if you look at GPAnalysis, they show 30 (yes thirty) copies sold in this grade. The top price ever was $207 and in the last year nine copies have sold with the highest price being $158.

My point is that if I, or other collectors see a few prices like that on fairly common books, it's pretty easy to assume that there are other places to buy books for less. As I said, that is a fairly common book, but truthfully, most Marvel SA books after 1964 are.

Now I also realize that DC is more your speciality, but there are probably 10 (maybe more) Marvel collectors to every one DC collector. So even if your DC books are priced very competitively because of condition and rarity, very few collectors will know that.

Good Luck and I do check out your site every few weeks.

Now I also realize that DC is more your speciality, but there are probably 10 (maybe more) Marvel collectors to every one DC collector.

Yow! Maybe more? I mean, I can understand saying ten times more Marvel collectors because it's a round number and good hyperbole. But the maybe more part? Do you really believe this? Is that the conventional wisdom?

I assume you're just talking about the very high-end market anyway. I don't follow it closely because it's not my area of interest, but for our sales of 8.0 and below it certainly doesn't hold true. Marvel is a clear #1 but for us I'd put it at maybe three to one. Perhaps four to one if you count the people who do buy DCs but primarily buy Marvels. (A lot of those guys will buy Batman too.)

By the way, for us DC does far better than Marvel for books 1990-2005. Plus, even though we possibly have a better Atlas inventory than 1950s DCs, DC sells better in that decade too.

60s, 70s, 80s, definitely Marvel.

Cheers,

Marc

I have only had the pleasure of dealing with Mark once to date

I found a High grade copy of Sgt Fury Annual #1 (a book that I consider somewhat hard to find in high grade) on the PGC site. The book had what I thought was a very reasonable asking price however I could not afford to purchase the book right away. I shot an email to Mark asking if I could pay off the book over an extended time frame.

Needles to say we reached an agreement & the rest is history. From a buyers point of view I could not fault my dealings with PGC (Mark). 893applaud-thumb.gif

I must say the only thing that has stopped me from purchasing several other books from PGC is the initial asking price on a few books. I have considered buying a few other books but have been reluctant to send an E-mail with a reduced offer as I don't want to offend someone that I hold in good regard.

At the end of the day thats my problem to deal with & maybe I should throw in that reduced offer regardless of the initial price tag. confused-smiley-013.gif

Regards,

Russ... thumbsup2.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I also realize that DC is more your speciality, but there are probably 10 (maybe more) Marvel collectors to every one DC collector.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yow! Maybe more? I mean, I can understand saying ten times more Marvel collectors because it's a round number and good hyperbole. But the maybe more part? Do you really believe this? Is that the conventional wisdom?

I was definitely talking about HG CGC books (as that's what Mark sells). And mostly SA (though he does have some GA and BA on his site).

Part of the DC problem is that in HG, it's nearly impossible to put together full runs (even just the SA issues). That in itself eliminates a lot run collectors. And because there are very few true Key DC issues in the SA and BA compared to Marvel, that eliminates the Key buyers.