• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer 18 Kirby Page at comiclink question
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Just got a copy of this one in the mail... 

I think if you disregard the splashes, the one from this auction is the one I'd pick. It's just the most complete page. There are 2 others with a bit better action but they come at the cost of significantly weaker character content.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:26 AM, J.Sid said:

Just got a copy of this one in the mail... 

I think if you disregard the splashes, the one from this auction is the one I'd pick. It's just the most complete page. There are 2 others with a bit better action but they come at the cost of significantly weaker character content.

I can think of other pages I'd rather have, but that doesn't change the fact that I did really want this page, but shocked at the price it went for...crazy times and tough to be a surfer only OA collector...I can't hang with most I guess

So am I to understand this page, which went for $77k, would normally hammer for maybe $40k?

I ask because it appears golden age books have all taken an overnight doubling in value. Silver age even more so, is my impression 

I am unfamiliar with the OA market, but sounds like it has been seized by the same craziness as the comic market

On 12/17/2021 at 10:31 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

So am I to understand this page, which went for $77k, would normally hammer for maybe $40k?

I ask because it appears golden age books have all taken an overnight doubling in value. Silver age even more so, is my impression 

I am unfamiliar with the OA market, but sounds like it has been seized by the same craziness as the comic market

"Normally" implies some objective standard which would be hard to demonstrate. Perhaps "previously" though.

Yes, the original art market has seen substantial inflation this year, as have all collectibles. Time will tell whether this is due to a speculative bubble, an inevitable result of the government overprinting money, or a genuine and sustainable increase in demand for the art. Or rather, in what proportions each of these is true.

On 12/17/2021 at 9:31 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I would have thought in that 40k range as well, and a little lower possible.

On 12/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, batman_fan said:

I would have thought in that 40k range as well, and a little lower possible.

I got my ss18 page for 40ish not long ago. 

On 12/19/2021 at 6:17 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Pages don’t get better than this. Action with a healthy dose of pathos

It is a great page. I bought it from the Donnellys for $1700 back in what feels like the 1930s and sold it for a massive profit of $300 soon thereafter. But don't cry for me, Argentina. I managed to keep a good one, too.