• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer wants me to ship to a different address
1 1

89 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2021 at 8:36 PM, GACollectibles said:

Then that's some sh*tty advice.  There are solutions other than carpet bombing a potential valid sale.

I'm sorry--telling the buyer that you can't ship to another address and asking them to cancel and redo the transaction (which I have done numerous times and not once has someone refused or complained) = carpet bombing a sale?

On 12/12/2021 at 8:38 PM, Poekaymon said:

I'm sorry--telling the buyer that you can't ship to another address and asking them to cancel and redo the transaction (which I have done numerous times and not once has someone refused or complained) = carpet bombing a sale?

You said that was the only option.  It's not.

Never ship to anywhere but the address that prints out on PayPal

Last week I had a guy on Facebook make a payment for some figures.  The thing is he claimed it on one account.  He message me using a separate FB account.  Turns out he lives in Mexico and wanted it shipped to an address in Vegas he would give me after the fact.  I called up PayPal and they agreed and laughed when I said it seemed "shady AF" and that you should NEVER send an item using any address other than that which prints out nor should you alter it or you may not be covered under their seller protection. 

On 12/12/2021 at 7:35 PM, Poekaymon said:

Oh wait, are we doing the ol' take-things-hyper-literally-on-a-message-board game?  Of course, there are lots of other options--don't do anything, cancel your eBay account, burn the item and give a refund, just send it and hope for the best, take the red pill, the options are nearly endless.  You got me--I was using some hyperbole.   

Maybe Burn it with some flair..

Burnbabyburn.gif.d1b57c1fe00ef275d6b03f6222ea7a64.gifand just the Red Pill???? 

20210826_235012.jpg.186ea1b4dc2083859410d5e73b2e91dc.jpg

On 12/12/2021 at 4:14 PM, csaag said:

Not that ebay has a lot of seller protection but do you lose whatever they offer if you don't ship to the official address?

Yes if you ship somewhere other than the address on file you'd be in a terrible position, as a seller in a dispute. The person suggesting the OP cancel the transaction then request buyer buy again under the right address is right. If it were me I'd contact CS just to alert them of the situation. 

On 12/12/2021 at 1:00 PM, dupont2005 said:

eBayer with 3 feedback all over a year old buys a $150 magazine and says “whoops just realized that’s my old address, can you please send it to this other address?” And I am getting bad vibes. What would you do? Both addresses are in the same state 

It's in writing so I do it every time.  eBay will back you.   If the package is delivered to that address the eBay buyer said you are all good. 

I have done it at least 20-50 times over the years, never a problem.  Actually the only problem I actually had was the opposite.  eBay buyer moved and didnt change his address.  He opened a claim. and eBay closed it immediately in my favor.

All the other advice here is really bad, good lord. 

$150......yeah change the address and send it.  

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/12/2021 at 6:23 PM, Buzzetta said:

Never ship to anywhere but the address that prints out on PayPal

Last week I had a guy on Facebook make a payment for some figures.  The thing is he claimed it on one account.  He message me using a separate FB account.  Turns out he lives in Mexico and wanted it shipped to an address in Vegas he would give me after the fact.  I called up PayPal and they agreed and laughed when I said it seemed "shady AF" and that you should NEVER send an item using any address other than that which prints out nor should you alter it or you may not be covered under their seller protection. 

Agree with you here, but I believe the OP is talking about eBay

On 12/12/2021 at 1:25 PM, comicquant said:

Cancel the order and walk away.  You will lose the $150 if you don’t. 

No, you are misinformed.

On 12/12/2021 at 2:30 PM, Gaard said:

You lose any protection that Ebay offers if you ship to a different address. Shoot him a message telling him that you're going to cancel the transaction so he can change his address on Ebay and buy it again. If he puts up a fight, he's a scammer.

No you don't.  :news:

On 12/12/2021 at 5:38 PM, Poekaymon said:

No, but you are wasting your time and the buyers.

This thread is proving why so many people have issues selling on eBay cause they don't even know what eBay actually covers and does not.  Once eBay switched to "managed payments" your fees may have gone up, but overall protection has actually increased as a seller.

I have called earlier this year on the same situation.  eBay says they will cover you since they have written proof the buyer asked for the address change.  It's not a big deal, especially on just a $150 item.   

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/13/2021 at 1:15 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

No, but you are wasting your time and the buyers.

This thread is proving why so many people have issues selling on eBay cause they don't even know what eBay actually covers and does not.  Once eBay switched to "managed payments" your fees may have gone up, but overall protection has actually increased as a seller.

I have called earlier this year n the same situation.  eBay says they will cover you since they have written proof the buyer asked for the address change.  It's not a big deal, especially on just a $150 item.   

1) Laziness with things like this, shipping to addresses not on the invoice, makes it easier for scammers and is a bad habit to get into.

2. Sellers, especially, should not assume eBay has their back--it can be extremely difficult to even get a competent person on the phone.

3. It is a very small matter to simply redo the transaction properly--the time you're "wasting" is far less than you might have to waste dealing with eBay later to resolve it.

On 12/13/2021 at 1:09 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

No you don't.  :news:

A grown adult should know their address and have their account set with it.  An actual paying customer will not mind going through the transaction again to fix their own mistake.  A potential scam artist will. 

And even if they abandon the transaction and go away?  It will sell to someone else.  

I don’t trust customer service enough for me to do anything other than “by the book” in a way that serves my own self interests when it comes to eBay

Edited by Buzzetta

The issue with the responses is opinions vs facts, and that opinions are being stated as facts(and some are incorrect).

Could it be a scammer?  It's a possibility.
Is the only option to cancel and relist?  No. 

Know your options and any associated cost before making a decision.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:51 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Seems pretty simple as already stated.  Inform the buyer you’re going to cancel the transaction, and have them buy it again with the updated shipping info.

I’m curious what the easier solution is....:popcorn:

lol I am too, but I have a feeling that we're never going to find out lol 

It was only worth teasing that there were "options", nevermind that the boardie asked for help, received at least some "sound" advice. It was a post drive by!