• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #15-#700 Collection
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi!

I recently received my father's old Amazing Spider-Man books. He gave me issues #15 to #700. The earlier issues are beat up a bit but the newer they get the better shape they're in. After 1980 all of the issues are still unopened in their original sealed packaging (ungraded as well). I was wondering if anybody 1. Knew how much a collection of this type may be worth and 2. What should I do with the unopened comics? How do you get those graded? 

Congrats!  That’s a nice collection.  And worth some $$$ for sure.  The pics you showed are some books in (what looks like) solid mid-grade condition.  I don’t really want to throw a value on it, but It has to be close to 5 figures for a complete run (assuming the latter issues are in better shape).  Lots of keys in that run that you might want to get graded.  
First thing I’d do is buy some bags & boards (silver age sized for all) and get them protected.

Again, congrats!

Also, any books that are “unopened” that you’d want to have graded, you could remove them from the packaging (or CGC will do it for you).  Not all of those issues are key or worth the grading (imo) and those I’d just leave as is.  It’s a bit of a “novelty”.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:35 PM, chrisco37 said:

Congrats!  That’s a nice collection.  And worth some $$$ for sure.  The pics you showed are some books in (what looks like) solid mid-grade condition.  I don’t really want to throw a value on it, but It has to be close to 5 figures for a complete run (assuming the latter issues are in better shape).  Lots of keys in that run that you might want to get graded.  
First thing I’d do is buy some bags & boards (silver age sized for all) and get them protected.

Again, congrats!

Thanks! I've bagged and boarded them since these pictures were taken. I know they're not in the best shape but for sitting in a basement for years, they could be worse. I'm super curious as to what to do with the unopened, factory sealed ones from the 80s onward. Everyone I've talked to isn't exactly sure and I definitely don't want to open them.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:38 PM, chrisco37 said:

Also, any books that are “unopened” that you’d want to have graded, you could remove them from the packaging (or CGC will do it for you).  Not all of those issues are key or worth the grading (imo) and those I’d just leave as is.  It’s a bit of a “novelty”.

Ah ok, so opening them won't hurt the value? 

I doubt it.  As I said, if you were to have those graded, they’d be removed anyway.  
It’s cool/neat as you don’t see them like that often.  Might have a slight “novelty” premium?  I don’t think it would be anything exceptional.  
Where did your father buy them originally?  We’re these subscriptions?  
I’d let others chime in before doing anything with them though.  

Edited by chrisco37

On 12/13/2021 at 5:44 PM, chrisco37 said:

I doubt it.  As I said, if you were to have those graded, they’d be removed anyway.  
It’s cool/neat as you don’t see them like that often.  Might have a slight “novelty” premium?  I don’t think it would be anything exceptional.  
Where did your father buy them originally?  We’re these subscriptions?  
I’d let others chime in before doing anything with them though.  

Yeah, I'm going to see what the consensus is first! I appreciate your input. My dad was a subscriber since #15. Some are newsstand editions but the lot is mainly direct editions. He ended his subscription after the initial run which sucks.

I feel pretty confident in saying this collection is easily worth 10k to 20k.  Lot of keys in there!  Just glancing at the apparent conditions of 50, 101, 121, 129 that’s probably 3 or 4k right there.  Some big books in the 80’s too.  238, 252, 300.  If those books are in really great shape they could be worth a bunch (particularly 300).  I’d definitely have to open up a few of those and see what shape they are in!  Nice collection, thanks Dad!!

20K may be more accurate …. But man you’ll have fun browsing thru those, just some amazing covers to look at over the many years

I have 1-700 and it’s endlessly entertaining flipping thru them 

Congrats, and hopefully I’ll be able to give similar joy to one or all of my kids 

I enjoy seeing the vintage prices on books like your Amazing Spider-Man 101...$4 on a comic that sells for hundreds is always fun.

I brought some of my comics in for grading and when I was having them assessed for pressing, the guy looking at them saw my 129 and exclaimed "you paid $30 for this?!?" Lots of fun!

Agree with others. You've got a great collection! Congrats. Lots of big keys and Spiderman is a very desirable title. 

If you are looking to sell, I can make a few suggestions.  Specifically, mycomicshop.com is probably a good place to start. If you would like to hold on to them, then bags and boards in a temperature controlled setting is best. 

You should read them carefully from the beginning...then you'll see how the movies didn't follow the comic hardly at all, and you also won't want to sell them...:whatthe:

If you do decide to sell, be sure to compare your book conditions with sold copies on ebay.  That will give you a rough idea of their value.  Don't pay any attention to what sellers are asking...just look at the most recent sold copies.

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian