• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions on how much to offer for ASM 19-192

28 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I work with a guy who is wanting to sell his comic collection. He had a complete run from #1 up of Amazing Spiderman vol. 1, but has since sold several. What he has left is issues 19-192 inclusive.

I do have an interest, the thing is I already have a good portion of the run but he will only sell it as a complete lot.

He claims the conditions on all the books is fine-vf. I have not seen them, nor is it likely I will get to see them as he works in our East Coast office, I work in the West coast.

I personally think it would be hard to sell this lot complete without busting it up, and would require putting in some effort to sell it as smaller lots on Ebay including scanning all the books for the best dollar.

I have asked him to send me one book with what he considers it's grade so that we can see if we agree as to our grading ( I tend to be strict ).

While I want to offer the guy a reasonable amount, I also think he needs to acknowledge that he is forcing me to buy over 100 comics I dont want at all without even seeing them, and to know that he wont do better than 50% guide at any second hand comic shop/bookstore.

My question to you guys is: what would be a fair offer for the lot?

Thanks

Artboy99

Hey all,

I work with a guy who is wanting to sell his comic collection. He had a complete run from #1 up of Amazing Spiderman vol. 1, but has since sold several. What he has left is issues 19-192 inclusive.

I do have an interest, the thing is I already have a good portion of the run but he will only sell it as a complete lot.

He claims the conditions on all the books is fine-vf. I have not seen them, nor is it likely I will get to see them as he works in our East Coast office, I work in the West coast.

I personally think it would be hard to sell this lot complete without busting it up, and would require putting in some effort to sell it as smaller lots on Ebay including scanning all the books for the best dollar.

I have asked him to send me one book with what he considers it's grade so that we can see if we agree as to our grading ( I tend to be strict ).

While I want to offer the guy a reasonable amount, I also think he needs to acknowledge that he is forcing me to buy over 100 comics I dont want at all without even seeing them, and to know that he wont do better than 50% guide at any second hand comic shop/bookstore.

My question to you guys is: what would be a fair offer for the lot?

Thanks

Artboy99

Chances are they're not going to be in the grade he says, but even if they are,you still gotta sell'em.

It's gonna take you a good while to get your money back/make a profit.

I make it there are 173 books, I'd offer $5 per book, that's $865.

If that's too low for you, then a grand tops.

At least you've got something to compare with now.

Cheers

JR thumbsup2.gif

It may sound like a bargain, but if there are only 20 books you really care about and they are really in VG to Fine like most silver age books out there, then you are paying $50 a book for the 20 you want, with the longer term potential to sell the others and break even. If the later books aren't VF or better, say goodbye to the remainding books for 25 cents on the dollar.

If you talking about buying at a percentage of guide for your collection, it's not too bad, but if you're going to try and resell, then your in an uphill battle. Of course ASM are the easiest to move and you'll likely do ok.

It may sound like a bargain.

Come on, it IS a bargain. I'd pay $1K right here and now for that run (and I have all the ASM's I want), even assuming some VG's in the early mix.

I agree. Depending on condition, you could make your money back on selling 10 issues or less.

I'd be interested in a large chunk of books between #20 and #40 in the VG range...

Does that chunk include 21, 22, 27, and 32? tongue.gif

I'd be interested in a large chunk of books between #20 and #40 in the VG range...

It does the last three...but I'm watching a few books that end later this week as well cool.gif

It does the last three...but I'm watching a few books that end later this week as well cool.gif

Those are the last four I need in that range. sumo.gif

I have to say 1k sounds like about what I was thinking of offering without seeing the books. I also have to agree that it is extremely likely the books are all in the 4.0-7.0 range.

Time will tell, the seller is extremely SLOW to sell his stuff, he wants to sell but when we talk money he is always asking me "how much you are willing to pay?" instead of just telling me how much he wants. We have played this game for over a year now, I am giving him this weekend then next week will make my offer with a very good explanation as to why I am offering the price I am.

He also has a Hulk 181 he claims is in VF+ grade that we have been haggling over.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Artboy99

I have to say 1k sounds like about what I was thinking of offering without seeing the books. I also have to agree that it is extremely likely the books are all in the 4.0-7.0 range.

Time will tell, the seller is extremely SLOW to sell his stuff, he wants to sell but when we talk money he is always asking me "how much you are willing to pay?" instead of just telling me how much he wants. We have played this game for over a year now, I am giving him this weekend then next week will make my offer with a very good explanation as to why I am offering the price I am.

He also has a Hulk 181 he claims is in VF+ grade that we have been haggling over.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Artboy99

Glad to be of help thumbsup2.gif

I guess that is an idea, I should pick up a price guide and get a gauge of what it is worth at the VG and even the fine condition range. I seriously doubt he will sell at 1k regardless.

To those of you that have messaged me, should the deal fall through ( and give me at least another month ) I will definitely pass the contact information for the seller to you.

Artboy99

The seller is just getting on my nerves now. I tried to pin him down to a price to purchase and his reply was "1 million dollars"

I am tired of his game.

Artboy99

Sounds like he's one of these guys who's read a few hyped up articles in the tabloids about the 'value of comics', and thinks he's sitting on a fortune.

I'd advise him to try his luck on ebay, with all the pitfalls and fees that go with it, or to tout them around the local CS's.

Tell him to see how much he gets on option 2, but it won't be 1k, that's for sure.

Tell him the offers there, take it or leave it. thumbsup2.gif