• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conflicting CGC Artist Data on slab
3 3

23 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2021 at 7:50 PM, Mark Warren said:

Well it sure looks like Romita to me, but then I'm no expert on Larry Lieber.

Looked up grand comics database. 

And they're no help either 

Screenshot_20211215-202252_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 12/15/2021 at 5:37 PM, Mark Warren said:

So I was looking for a Tomb of Darkness #9 because I like Romita covers. And I found two different CGC copies (one with a crazily exorbitant asking price on ebay but that's neither here nor there), and...the two labels have different artist info. Does this happen often?

Unfortunately, CGC messes up label notes far too often, though it's not usually the creator information, except in the case of typos.

Lieber/Giacoia is what is currently in the system, so they must have updated it recently.

On 12/15/2021 at 11:42 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Maybe CGC got confused with Chamber of Darkness #1. Which are the first 8 issues of the run in which Romita did the covers for #1& 2.

Although the girl on the cover looks like Romita to me, the cover itself, taken as a whole, looks...like Romita had a bit of an off day maybe? So maybe it really is Lieber/Giacoia? It will save me some money if it is.

If it's Lieber his style has come a long way since that crappy Spider-Man annual where Spidey and the Torch fight a giant mechanical ape.

Edited by Mark Warren

On 12/16/2021 at 5:30 AM, Lazyboy said:

???

They note the cover artist(s). How is that "no help"?

I saw the the pencils and the inker notated, I didn't realize that was under the "cover header". I thought something else, my mistake.

Well then there you have it 😜

On 12/16/2021 at 7:08 AM, Mark Warren said:
On 12/15/2021 at 9:33 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

You should ask the mods to move this to Comics General.   It will get a lot more traction there.(thumbsu

How do I do that? Sorry, newbie here.

in the 1st post, there are 3 dots in the upper right of the post. Click on that and click report, choose nothing is wrong with the post, but ask your reason for telling a moderator is to move it to Comics General (because you think it is in the wrong area-or more eyes etc) (thumbsu 

I thought the screenshot I gave might have already solved your issue, not sure what cgc notates on current slabs, but it looks like Romita was on the older styles slab and to be an old notation they changed :cheers: 

On 12/16/2021 at 9:37 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

in the 1st post, there are 3 dots in the upper right of the post. Click on that and click report, choose nothing is wrong with the post, but ask your reason for telling a moderator is to move it to Comics General (because you think it is in the wrong area-or more eyes etc) (thumbsu 

I thought the screenshot I gave might have already solved your issue, not sure what cgc notates on current slabs, but it looks like Romita was on the older styles slab and to be an old notation they changed :cheers: 

Thanks for the help!

On 12/16/2021 at 1:33 PM, Axelrod said:

Just curious if this a situation where CGC would re-slab for free if it turns out that some of the info on the slab was inaccurate?  Regardless of how old the slab is?  

I'd be interested in learning if they did, I have a slab that says it's signed and sketched on the label.

The Signature is there.

The "sketch" is nowhere to be found :( 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM