• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Probably Not The Mile High Action Comics 1 But Allegedly Some Random Raw Sells Privately for $4.5 Million - Potentially...Allegedly
8 8

137 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 5:39 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

According to Bleeding Cool it was a CGC 6.0 (the Rocket Copy, gotta admit I'm not familiar with that pedigree) that sold for $3 180 000USD.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/action-comics-1-cgc-6-0-rocket-copy-sells-for-3180000/

That was an auction today (1/13) on Heritage, which occurred 3+ weeks after this unsubstantiated rumour (12/17) was reported by Key Collector for an ungraded copy. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-1-rocket-copy-dc-1938-cgc-fn-60-white-pages/a/7266-91030.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

On 1/14/2022 at 11:57 AM, Northwest said:

That was an auction today (1/13) on Heritage, which occurred 3+ weeks after this unsubstantiated rumour (12/17) was reported by Key Collector for an ungraded copy. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-1-rocket-copy-dc-1938-cgc-fn-60-white-pages/a/7266-91030.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Right, thanks for that. I'll correct my post. 

Ok. I don't know if I'm late to the party here, but it looks like the book in question is the Mile High 8.0 SUPERMAN #1, which traded hands in January for a price of $5.3 million USD. I'll attach a couple screen shots of the article. Both buyer and seller want to remain anonymous, though the brokers for both parties are named in the article.

Screenshot_20220413-122823_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220413-122826_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Joshua33
Spell

On 4/13/2022 at 3:35 PM, Joshua33 said:

Ok. I don't know if I'm late to the party here, but it looks like the book in question is the Mile High 8.0 SUPERMAN #1, which traded hands in January for a price of $5.3 million USD. I'll attach a couple screen shots of the article. Both buyer and seller want to remain anonymous, though the brokers for both parties are named in the article.

Screenshot_20220413-122823_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220413-122826_Chrome.jpg

They probably didn't disclose what book it was because this was resubmitted in January and was upgraded to an 8.5 while keeping the same cert #. 

CGC1072525-001_OBV_lg20220412105101022.jpg.5edccb74e1399e889120f8ce7f57edeb.jpg

Congratulations to the buyer and sellers!

Interesting how this keeps a blue label despite the CT. Just wondering how many SA BA books with the same pin size CT are currently in purple labels??? Curious if it depends on what book it is and who submits it?

The resubmiter either had assurances or had the biggest set of cojones in the world! 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 4/13/2022 at 1:05 PM, MGsimba77 said:

They probably didn't disclose what book it was because this was resubmitted in January and was upgraded to an 8.5 while keeping the same cert #. 

Interesting how this keeps a blue label despite the CT. Just wondering how many SA BA books with the same pin size CT are currently in purple labels??? Curious if it depends on what book it is and who submits it?

The resubmiter either had assurances or had the biggest set of cojones in the world! 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the word has always been... amongst the OGs, that many of the Mile Highs have some form of resto. Do they receive purple labels for it??? Ummm... no. Why? That's a question for somebody else...

On 4/13/2022 at 4:05 PM, MGsimba77 said:

What buffoon would apply CT to an already high-grade MH Superman #1?! ???

On 4/13/2022 at 4:27 PM, Joshua33 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the word has always been... amongst the OGs, that many of the Mile Highs have some form of resto. Do they receive purple labels for it??? Ummm... no. Why? That's a question for somebody else...

CGC has from the beginning allowed a very small amount of color touch into blue labels on GA books. 

The criteria (loosely paraphrased) basically are that it has to be GA and the touch can't improve the grade of the book.

It's been that way since CGC opened. 

On 4/13/2022 at 1:30 PM, VintageComics said:

CGC has from the beginning allowed a very small amount of color touch into blue labels on GA books. 

The criteria (loosely paraphrased) basically are that it has to be GA and the touch can't improve the grade of the book.

It's been that way since CGC opened. 

I totally get that, but that isn't the only form of resto rumored to be attributed to Mile Highs, no?

On 4/13/2022 at 4:32 PM, Joshua33 said:

I totally get that, but that isn't the only form of resto rumored to be attributed to Mile Highs, no?

Correct. Glue is another that gets a pass as a notation on GA books if it doesn't improve the grade. 

Outside of those two rules, I think anything else (or enough CT and glue to improve the grade) all get Restored designations whether they are MH or not.  

Edited by VintageComics

On 4/13/2022 at 1:35 PM, VintageComics said:

Correct. Glue is another that gets a pass as a notation on GA books if it doesn't improve the grade. 

Outside of those two rules, I think anything else (or enough CT and glue to improve the grade) all get Restored designations whether they are MH or not.  

That's the way it's supposed to be...

On 4/13/2022 at 4:27 PM, Joshua33 said:

You mean like this?

cap1.jpg

gl1.jpg

On 4/13/2022 at 1:44 PM, MGsimba77 said:

It wasn't always frowned upon back in the stone age...like before cgc. Nobody touches it now because of certification. 

I dunno... there seems to be an awful lot of buzz about "some guys" that are out there, right now, dunking books for cleaning, and using a form UV light to remove traces of wet cleaning books. These books (according to the buzz) are going through, "undetected" and receiving massive grade bumps. Anybody else hearing this, or just me?

On 4/13/2022 at 3:05 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Nobody seems to be questioning it, so maybe it's normal........but what the hell?

If the book was cracked out and "improved"......then submitted for a new grade.....wouldn't the cert# change?

And if it wasn't "improved"....and just sent back in for a review and received an upgrade with the same cert #.....doesn't that mean the original submitter received a major screw job by CGC?

:facepalm:

On 4/13/2022 at 2:55 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Nobody seems to be questioning it, so maybe it's normal........but what the hell?

If the book was cracked out and "improved"......then submitted for a new grade.....wouldn't the cert# change?

And if it wasn't "improved"....and just sent back in for a review and received an upgrade with the same cert #.....doesn't that mean the original submitter received a major screw job by CGC?

:facepalm:

Yeah, exactly.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:56 PM, grendelbo said:

Yeah, exactly.

Although......I admit I'm not familiar enough with this end of the market.

If CGC's pressing service does the work on it, does that mean it can keep the same cert#?  I have no idea. (shrug)

On 4/13/2022 at 4:48 PM, Joshua33 said:

I dunno... there seems to be an awful lot of buzz about "some guys" that are out there, right now, dunking books for cleaning, and using a form UV light to remove traces of wet cleaning books. These books (according to the buzz) are going through, "undetected" and receiving massive grade bumps. Anybody else hearing this, or just me?

Yup. A guy on FB was displaying his handiwork. Posted they are coming back universal non conserved.