• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man vs. Firelord

31 posts in this topic

I remember reading this story (I think form the mid-80's) in Avengers or one of the spider-man books. I remember REALLY enjoying it, and want to revisit, but I can't seem to find it....Spider-man fights him for a long time, then the avengers finally show up...

Does anyone remember this arc and which books it was in?

Thanks!

Never read those issues but I might have to pick them up. Realisticly Spider-Man has no business fighting Firelord as he could just roast him with a blink of the eye. I kinda hate goofy matchups like that.

Agreed, but I think they made it make sense at the time...

see, there was this misunderstanding between Jack and Mr. Furly...oh wait, wrong show................

yeah but when you read it will make sense....I agree tho Firelord should be able to roast him in a second.

It was pretty clear in the story that Firelord would just have to roast Manhatten and Spidey (and tons of other people) would be dead.

But Firelord, being somewhat noble, just wanted to bash in Spidey without any humans getting hurt.

This kind of story is fun in one way, but it also totally destroys any suspension of disbelief. Here's a guy who's gone toe-to-toe with all the Marvel heavyweights from Thor to Hercules to Silver Surfer, and Spidey beats him?

This kind of story was one reason why I stopped buying Ultimate Spider-man TPBs, as once those human waif-chicks like Elektra and Black Cat starting kicking Spidey's butt, it just tossed logic and suspension of disbelief out the window.

This kind of story is fun in one way, but it also totally destroys any suspension of disbelief. Here's a guy who's gone toe-to-toe with all the Marvel heavyweights from Thor to Hercules to Silver Surfer, and Spidey beats him?

This kind of story was one reason why I stopped buying Ultimate Spider-man TPBs, as once those human waif-chicks like Elektra and Black Cat starting kicking Spidey's butt, it just tossed logic and suspension of disbelief out the window.

i haven't gone back and read it yet, but I don't think he did win...I think Spidey got whupped, but Cap and the Avengers (and Firelord) were impressed by his moxy....he TRIED to fight a guy that was unbeatable.....

I could be wrong, but I thought that's what happened....

i haven't gone back and read it yet, but I don't think he did win...I think Spidey got whupped, but Cap and the Avengers (and Firelord) were impressed by his moxy....he TRIED to fight a guy that was unbeatable.....

Nope, Spidey knocked him right out, and the Avengers actually stepped in to save Firelord from any further damage.

975229-spidey_170_1.jpg

975229-spidey_170_1.jpg.fd41511a531f3b870caf26bda836c279.jpg

You know, if you really wanted to retcon this one, you could say that Spidey zoned out and let the alien costume take over, thus augmenting his strength.

I hate retcons myself, but this one is not that far a stretch.

You know, if you really wanted to retcon this one, you could say that Spidey zoned out and let the alien costume take over, thus augmenting his strength.

Except for the fact that Spider-Man had discovered that his black costume was an alien a year earlier, in Amazing Spider-Man #258 (when Reed Richards removed the costume with a sonic blaster).

In ASM#269 and 270, Spidey was wearing a black replica that the Black Cat had sewn for him because she thought the black costume was sexier than the red and blue one. poke2.gif

Except for the fact that Spider-Man had discovered that his black costume was an alien a year earlier, in Amazing Spider-Man #258 (when Reed Richards removed the costume with a sonic blaster).

In ASM#269 and 270, Spidey was wearing a black replica that the Black Cat had sewn for him because she thought the black costume was sexier than the red and blue one. poke2.gif

Yes, but in the proposed retcon, the symbiote escaped FF HQ undetected and returned after defeating Firelord. poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Yes, but in the proposed retcon, the symbiote escaped FF HQ undetected and returned after defeating Firelord. poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Now you got it working. yay.gif

Whatever we think up can't be worse than what those hacks at Marvel pull out of their butts.

That "Iron Fist was really a vegetable imposter" bit was one of the reasons I stopped buying Moderns. It's like saying "You know all those 200+ Iron Fist appearances you bought and read before? Well you were reading about a walking tomato!".

Talk about lame retcons just to get a 3rd-tier character back from the dead.

Really? You missed the Namor series??!!!

27_laughing.gif

It's been awhile since I read that trash, and I have been trying to expunge as much as possible from my permanent memory, but I think it goes back to a flashback from Iron Fist #2, where Iron Fist meets up with some lame plant-like H'ylthri creatures (note the pods):

976659-ironfist_1.jpg

976659-ironfist_1.jpg.e8cf3d05367b5581e4139d6443267437.jpg