• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Edition HARDBACKS .... the "Bookie" thread.
2 2

37 posts in this topic

This is probably a bit off-topic but wanted to ask here since this is probably were I’d be most likely to get an answer:

For those of you who collect first edition hardcover books, have you ever had a custom clamshell display box made for one of your books?

I’ve found a studio here on the west coast and I’ve had one recommended on the east coast by a book dealer. 

A lot of the examples they have pictured on their sites are very cool….but very elaborate….and probably very expensive.  

The book I’m thinking of get a box for is a nice first edition but based on these studios examples I could easily spend more on the box than on the book.  So I think anything with leather is probably out…but I don’t just want a plain cloth box either. 

With both studios there’s no drop-down boxes where you pick something, the emphasis is on “custom” - you tell them what you want. 

I kind of thought of having them make a cloth box and sending them a facsimile dust jacket and they could attach the front, spine and back panels to the box….but I don’t know, that sounds kind of ticky-tacky when I really think about it. 

I have seen some cloth-covered boxes that have “sculpted” relief designs on the front that mirror the design of the book jacket…but not sure how much money I would run into having something like that done custom.

Have any of you done this and what type of box did you commission?

On 2/20/2022 at 8:27 PM, Number 6 said:

I have seen some cloth-covered boxes that have “sculpted” relief designs on the front that mirror the design of the book jacket…but not sure how much money I would run into having something like that done custom.

This might not be that complicated. It's beyond my experience, but I worked at a glass shop in my youth that did custom sand blasting to produce frosted glass designs and also for wooden signage in relief. The design is scanned or reproduced into an auto cad type setup ( like for architectural use) and a stencil is cut from a rubber adhesive film that repels the sand everywhere the design is not. Very impressive results can be achieved. A nice stain on the finished product would really pop, or a decoupage approach could also work. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/21/2022 at 6:57 AM, Number 6 said:

This is probably a bit off-topic but wanted to ask here since this is probably were I’d be most likely to get an answer:

For those of you who collect first edition hardcover books, have you ever had a custom clamshell display box made for one of your books?

I’ve found a studio here on the west coast and I’ve had one recommended on the east coast by a book dealer.

Have any of you done this and what type of box did you commission?

I don't have any high end books but if I wanted one, I'd probably go to my local machine shop and ask if they could laser cut me this out of wood/metal.

Book box. 3mm 1/8inch 4mm 4.5mm 5mm 6mm 1/4inch. Laser image 3

Etsy has the design file for this up for sale. There are others you might like. Dunno how expensive it would be.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:17 AM, jimjum12 said:

This might not be that complicated. It's beyond my experience, but I worked at a glass shop in my youth that did custom sand blasting to produce frosted glass designs and also for wooden signage in relief. The design is scanned or reproduced into an auto cad type setup ( like for architectural use) and a stencil is cut from a rubber adhesive film that repels the sand everywhere the design is not. Very impressive results can be achieved. A nice stain on the finished product would really pop, or a decoupage approach could also work. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Thanks for the response. 

Yes, the one studio I’ve seen who has examples of archival cloth boxes with “sculpted” designs seem to run about $150 which doesn’t seem terrible to me (leather boxes jump to around $250+)

I think my concern is that those prices are for boxes for which they’ve already done the tooling. My concern is that if I were to commission something I’d probably have to bear the brunt of costs for the initial tooling.  

I guess I just need to shoot an e-mail and ask, doesn’t cost me anything to find out I guess. 

On 2/25/2022 at 1:57 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Obtained "Lest Darkness Fall (pub. 1949)" in a small town in Wisconsin 2 years ago. From searching the net I noticed that Prime Press, who published the edition I have, also published a version with a black cover, also in 1949. I think this is the first edition. Also of note, all first editions are signed by L. Sprague de Camp, as is mine.

scan0338.jpg

And a cool Hannes Bok cover too!

On 2/21/2022 at 9:05 AM, Bookery said:

1886.  True first edition (precedes British edition by a few days).  Only 1200 hardback copies were produced.  Of those, the vast majority are in green binding.  This is a rare publisher's copy in maroon binding.  There seems to be uncertainty as to what this is exactly.  Some citations have listed this as a 2nd state, or even 2nd printing.  But the official Robert Louis Stevenson site which indexes all of his work does not indicate any other printings until a few years later.  It simply states copies of the original edition were produced with both green and maroon bindings.  At any rate, this is the scarcest of the versions (green hardbound and plain copies in wraps being the others).  

DrJekyll.jpg

A classic👍😷‼️