• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Edition HARDBACKS .... the "Bookie" thread.
3 3

52 posts in this topic

@Pat Calhoun

It's such a mesmerizing cover, and the color palette is fresh and unexpected. I'm toying with getting a facsimile edition, to handle. They're only around 20 bucks on eBay.GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/29/2024 at 7:00 PM, asimovpulps said:

The book that tricked me into collecting pulps - Foundation first edition/first state by Isaac Asimov. Thought it would be cheaper to collect the original pulp run in Astounding instead of buying the first edition...then I fell into the black hole of pulps....and still bought the first edition 😂.

First state: note the misspelling of "Hari Sheldon" instead of Seldon on the inside cover flap

PXL_20221211_012342154.thumb.jpg.d15d76240926b43bd1073efaee0734d5.jpg

Awesome addition!  Do you know if it's from the collection of Chad Oliver for sure, or is the name just an interesting coincidence at this point?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Oliver

I was pretty excited to get this in the mail recently.  It’s not in high-grade condition (it’s clear from the spine that it’s a read copy) but I got it for a reader copy and while not cheap was definitely less than copies in collectible condition. 

Unlike his previous Tales of Terror volume, this one Karloff actually writes an introduction for each of the stories he selected for this volume (which is why there’s more demand for it) and based on the previous volume I’d say Karloff had pretty good taste in horror stories. Looking forward to digging into this one. 

IMG_5802.thumb.jpeg.5271bef9ddd51c60f263baa30feb853e.jpeg

On 5/29/2024 at 3:28 PM, jimjum12 said:

I'm reading The Codex now, a little diddy about a billionaire who buries himself with his fortune so his 3 spoiled and entitled sons will have to find his tomb and rob it to get their inheritance. I'm reading the actual 1st Edition copy, and I feel a little dirty, but I'm doing it anyway. I also grabbed a copy of this 1st Edition vintage classic, alleged by many to be the source of the X-Men. GOD BLESS ...

The similarities between the two are pretty strong, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Stan Lee had read this book and either consciously or unconsciously drew "inspiration" from it for the X-Men.

I've noticed recently that the prices some dealers are asking for Fine/Fine copies has ticked up a bit, I wonder if the "X-Men inspiration" angle is starting to get some traction.  Of course, the Kelly Freas jacket art doesn't hurt either.

On 6/6/2024 at 12:35 PM, Number 6 said:

I was pretty excited to get this in the mail recently.  It’s not in high-grade condition (it’s clear from the spine that it’s a read copy) but I got it for a reader copy and while not cheap was definitely less than copies in collectible condition. 

Unlike his previous Tales of Terror volume, this one Karloff actually writes an introduction for each of the stories he selected for this volume (which is why there’s more demand for it) and based on the previous volume I’d say Karloff had pretty good taste in horror stories. Looking forward to digging into this one. 

IMG_5802.thumb.jpeg.5271bef9ddd51c60f263baa30feb853e.jpeg

That's a new one on me. The calligraphy is exquisite, and the overall design is superb. I presume this was the same artist who did the DJ for HPL's Great Supernatural Stories, since both were published by World around the same time...1945-46. Does this have the same low-grade, wartime paper that the HPL volume has?

On 6/6/2024 at 3:21 PM, Sarg said:

That's a new one on me. The calligraphy is exquisite, and the overall design is superb. I presume this was the same artist who did the DJ for HPL's Great Supernatural Stories, since both were published by World around the same time...1945-46. Does this have the same low-grade, wartime paper that the HPL volume has?

I think Tales of Terror was published at same time as Great Supernatural Stories (both are Tower imprint). Tales actually has a Wartime Paper blurb on the copyright page (I don’t think 1st printings of the HPL volume have that) and looks like it has the same really low-quality pulp paper as the Supernatural Stories.

This copy of And The Darkness Falls is a first printing and there’s no blurb on the copyright page. The paper feels like it is better quality, though still a bit on the pulpy side, the binding seems to be not quite as cheap as their Tower volumes. 

On 6/6/2024 at 1:51 PM, Number 6 said:

The similarities between the two are pretty strong, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Stan Lee had read this book and either consciously or unconsciously drew "inspiration" from it for the X-Men.

I've noticed recently that the prices some dealers are asking for Fine/Fine copies has ticked up a bit, I wonder if the "X-Men inspiration" angle is starting to get some traction.  Of course, the Kelly Freas jacket art doesn't hurt either.

Mine set me back 70 bucks, which is a lot for me nowadays. I think I'd like to read it. I might seek out a facsimile, which is about 20 bucks and appears exact. I really liked the jacket design, there was a crisp economy to many of the jackets from this era, GOD BLESS ... 

I'm secretly wanting a Cycle Of The Werewolf 1st edition, but they're getting pricey (... for me).

On 5/29/2024 at 10:00 PM, asimovpulps said:

...then I fell into the black hole of pulps

...and what a black, black hole that is. :cloud9: GOD BLESS ...

On 6/7/2024 at 6:24 AM, Number 6 said:

I think Tales of Terror was published at same time as Great Supernatural Stories (both are Tower imprint). Tales actually has a Wartime Paper blurb on the copyright page (I don’t think 1st printings of the HPL volume have that) and looks like it has the same really low-quality pulp paper as the Supernatural Stories.

This copy of And The Darkness Falls is a first printing and there’s no blurb on the copyright page. The paper feels like it is better quality, though still a bit on the pulpy side, the binding seems to be not quite as cheap as their Tower volumes. 

I just checked my copy of the Great Supernatural Stories, I didn't see a wartime paper notice anywhere.