• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Cornfield Library lounge area thread. Off topic posts are allowed!
15 15

40,369 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2022 at 3:23 PM, kav said:

these apocryphal 'women' who would be too offended to join being used as an excuse to limit posts someone doesnt like is becoming a very tired trope.

100%

On 4/25/2022 at 5:06 PM, kav said:
On 4/25/2022 at 5:00 PM, JJ-4 said:
On 4/25/2022 at 4:52 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Do you think you should be able to post whatever you like here without any limitations?

Do you think I should be able to tell you what you can and can't post?

You stated you want the boards to be female friendly, reminds me of "it's for the children".  Do you think covers of comics that show super-heroes promoting violence could offend any potential new female board members?  Do you think Vampirella covers might offend any women?  GA bondage covers?  Pre-Code horror covers?  You just want to limit things on the board you don't like.  I'm not ok with that.  

I've said several times I'm not a fan of marwood's doo-doo jokes, but never said he cant post them.  And complaining about doo-doo jokes when you do a lot of doo-doo jokes-well that's a head-scratcher.

Posting the "clean" version as not to ruffle any feathers.  

Feel free to look up the unedited version.  

On 4/25/2022 at 11:22 PM, JJ-4 said:

You think all new potential female board members approve Vampirella, bondage, and Pre-code comics (even the racist WWII comics) and that none of them would be offended.  And you think they put comics in a good light.  Noted.

Maybe not, but they're comics and a part of comic history. You're not one of those people who want the past to be eradicated, are you, if it doesn't suit modern sensibilities?

There's no equivalence here JJ - comics are comics - offensive posts that have nothing to do with comics aren't. This is a comic forum and the moderator has set some boundaries on non comic content. That's it.

I'm off now, night time in Blighty. Have fun :)

On 4/25/2022 at 5:16 PM, JJ-4 said:
On 4/25/2022 at 5:03 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Good thing this is just a good ol' fashioned jug band. 

(Insert picture of top heavy female band here.)

I fell like you would have added an actual picture here if you had posted this yesterday or before.  Self-censor?

Sadly... Yes... :sorry:

On 4/25/2022 at 5:23 PM, kav said:
On 4/25/2022 at 5:22 PM, JJ-4 said:

You think all new potential female board members approve Vampirella, bondage, and Pre-code comics (even the racist WWII comics) and that none of them would be offended.  And you think they put comics in a good light.  Noted.

these apocryphal 'women' who would be too offended to join being used as an excuse to limit posts someone doesnt like is becoming a very tired trope.

391687474_Screenshot2022-03-086_51_00PM.png.06d0c9bcb0db7a75027979d8d9ae5c03.png.851b95752886a499c991fc05af69f057.png

On 4/25/2022 at 5:33 PM, Heavyheavyheavy said:
On 4/25/2022 at 5:22 PM, JJ-4 said:

How about Boundless? Zenescope? hm

To that point, the thread was for non comic posts.

The moderation made their claim.

I think he bore in mind the intention of the thread. Lol

We still represent a comic authority  :)

I wish there were more posters is all, its hard when a non poster criticizes the thread upon 1 visit, and claims, "we're having fun wrong".

Bare in mind the last three weeks were people crying enough lol

Idk I'll be quiet, just :ohnoez:

On 4/25/2022 at 3:28 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Maybe not, but they're comics and a part of comic history. You're not one of those people who want the past to be eradicated, are you, if it doesn't suit modern sensibilities?

There's no equivalence here JJ - comics are comics - offensive posts that have nothing to do with comics aren't. This is a comic forum and the moderator has set some boundaries on non comic content. That's it.

I'm off now, night time in Blighty. Have fun :)

You're off base, I don't want to eradicate the past at all, you are the one concerned about potential new female board members.

Again, my rights don't end because you don't like what I have to say.  If you don't like Cornfield Library, please don't go there and get offended.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:24 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

We had within our own set people who called out enough, marwood is doing well to not single anyone out, let's leave it at that, and we can all gauge what is to blame.

It's not the end of the world here peeps.

Let's not make that our goal.  :shy:

I will go ahead and say it.

It is me.  Probably 90% of the fecal posts and 20-30% of the "soft core" posts are mine.  I will take the blame(or credit) depending on how you view it.

I have tried to stay within the guidelines of what is specifically allowed on the forum and there are times where I am on the line or just over. I have received points and vacations for my missteps.  Mods have been very fair. 

One of the issues is that some may see some of these posts and feel that things are not fair. That is not the case.  

I will just quote  Gloria Loring..

Speaking of which, I'll take the time to plug the collectors call TV show, on the metv channel. @oakman29

With Lisa Whelchel.

It's a 30 minute blur that is over way fast, but is decent with not too many commercials, or quick ones at least.

On 4/25/2022 at 3:40 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

To that point, the thread was for non comic posts.

The moderation made their claim.

I think he bore in mind the intention of the thread. Lol

We still represent a comic authority  :)

I wish there were more posters is all, its hard when a non poster criticizes the thread upon 1 visit, and claims, "we're having fun wrong".

Bare in mind the last three weeks were people crying enough lol

Idk I'll be quiet, just :ohnoez:

Well, this is the point.  This thread was created in part specifically for "off topic" posts - says it right in the title of the thread.  We might note that there is no prohibition on "on-topic" posts in this thread.  The idea that posts in this thread have to be "comic related" is inaccurate because almost any post about comics is, by definition, "on topic" on this site.  In this thread "off topic" posts - of which we now have over 1000 pages - "are allowed!" and can therefore not be about comics and still meet the purpose/allowances of the thread.

Now, "off topic" does not mean "in violation of the terms of service" so Mike should certainly be moderating any posts that are and there's no problem with other users complaining to Mike about posts that actually are in violation.  But there's also a certain level of unattractive "busy-bodyness" involved in going into a thread where you know things you won't like - but that don't violate TOS - exist and then complaining about it.  I understand the strategy - complainers believe Mike has a tough job here and he's likely to want to lessen the complaining he gets, so the easy route is to lock, block, delete or whatever the things people complain about.  He's shown tremendous restraint in this area and let some pretty bogus threads run on for a while, hoping against hope they get back on track.  It did not disturb my sleep that those threads weren't instantly shut down at the first sign of trouble.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:56 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Well, this is the point.  This thread was created in part specifically for "off topic" posts - says it right in the title of the thread.  We might note that there is no prohibition on "on-topic" posts in this thread.  The idea that posts in this thread have to be "comic related" is inaccurate because almost any post about comics is, by definition, "on topic" on this site.  In this thread "off topic" posts - of which we now have over 1000 pages - "are allowed!" and can therefore not be about comics and still meet the purpose/allowances of the thread.

Now, "off topic" does not mean "in violation of the terms of service" so Mike should certainly be moderating any posts that are and there's no problem with other users complaining to Mike about posts that actually are in violation.  But there's also a certain level of unattractive "busy-bodyness" involved in going into a thread where you know things you won't like - but that don't violate TOS - exist and then complaining about it.  I understand the strategy - complainers believe Mike has a tough job here and he's likely to want to lessen the complaining he gets, so the easy route is to lock, block, delete or whatever the things people complain about.  He's shown tremendous restraint in this area and let some pretty bogus threads run on for a while, hoping against hope they get back on track.  It did not disturb my sleep that those threads weren't instantly shut down at the first sign of trouble.

That is the long version of what I said 😂

Now I don't feel so bad 😅 :roflmao:

:golfclap: