• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Have These Books Regraded?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Now that I can see the grader notes for any book in my collection (Thanks, CGC!), I took the time to look at some of my more valuable comics to see if a clean and press would lead to a better grade. I have listed the books below, along with their grader notes.

Amazing Spider-Man #3 - CGC 4.5
light tears to cover
moderate bends to cover
moderate creasing to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover

ASM3.jpg.18cc80f8d6d90387e480561c7a64625d.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #14 - CGC 4.5
moderate creasing to cover
moderate staining to cover
small, light crease left bottom of back cover

ASM14.jpg.6adaed6b6a0b246a1184028ed4b6a638.jpg

Daredevil #1 - CGC 6.0
light tears to cover
moderate bends to cover

DD1.jpg.bd49f1e8dd7d3b157cf88ea613127659.jpg

X-Men #4 - CGC 6.0
crease left top of back cover
crease top of
light bends to cover
light spine stress lines to cover
small crease left top of back cover
small crease right bottom of front cover
small tear with crease left top of front cover
small, multiple crease right bottom of front cover
small, multiple crease right top of front cover
tape pull center of interior front cover
very small, multiple tear with crease full top of back cover

XM4.jpg.9be4ce438282cd7da8a6ad10049049c7.jpg

For ASM #3, a 0.5 increase in grade would lead to a $250 increase in value, which means it's probably not worth it. However, a 1.0 increase in grade would result in a $1,200 increase in value.
For ASM #14, a 0.5 increase in grade would lead to a $250 increase in value, which means it's probably not worth it. However, a 1.0 increase in grade would result in a $800 increase in value.

For DD #1, a 0.5 increase in grade would lead to a $2,000 increase in value, which means it's definitely worth it. However, a 1.0 increase in grade would result in a $5,000 increase in value.
For XM #4, a 0.5 increase in grade would lead to a little increase in value, which means it's probably not worth it. However, a 1.0 increase in grade would lead to a $400 increase in value. Unfortunately, XM #4 prices seem to have been in decline since the end of Wandavision, at least in the mid-grades.

Unfortunately, the only book that I can actually take a picture of is ASM #14, as the other three books are in my safe deposit box. I will try to grab some pictures from my Instagram feed, but they certainly won't be the best pictures.

I have never actually tried anything like this before. I don't know if the gain in value would offset the cost of cleaning/pressing in addition to the cost of grading. All of these would have to be sent through WalkThrough, which would mean a minimum of $150 to grade each book, plus shipping and handling. I don't want to spend $200 to see a $250 increase in value.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? @joeypost, I would really like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Edited by Math Teacher

Those experienced and trusted clean and press folk could really be put to the test here.

I would think that the notes would say "breaks color" on books in this grade range.  Has cgc verbiage changed over the years?

I seem to recall that CCS once offered a prescreen on a CGC graded book, to see if it would get a grade bump..??

On 12/27/2021 at 9:07 AM, Chief1332 said:

I would think that the notes would say "breaks color" on books in this grade range.  Has cgc verbiage changed over the years?

That's what I had thought also.

However, here are the grader notes for ASM #11 - CGC 6.0:
large, multiple crease left center of front cover breaks color
light bends to cover
small, moderate crease left top of front cover breaks color
staple recessed top of spine

These are quite specific about which creases break color.

Have they been pressed before, as part of their original CGC submission? If so it could be the law of diminishing returns in operation here. Given the potential gains involved I understand why you might want to C/P and regrade but if this would be a second pressing, you may only achieve a nicer looking book of the same grade. Good luck with any you decide to go CPR with. 

I can guarantee that ASM #3, ASM #14, and DD #1 have not been pressed. These three books have been in my collection since the early 1980s. Well, I suppose they could have been pressed, but I find that to be highly unlikely. XM #4 I bought already slabbed, but with those grader notes, I find it difficult to believe that it had already been pressed.

Tears, stains, stress lines, color breaks: these aren't going anywhere with C&P and are likely the main culprits for your grades. I'd speculate C&P would bump .5 if at all. Also tears could get much worse in the wrong pressers hands...

Hopefully J.Post chimes in for a solid experienced perspective.