• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hidden CGC barcodes/verification #s

6 posts in this topic

I've seen some listings recently on eBay and elsewhere where folks have been posting pics of their graded comics with some form of obstruction--usually a piece of tape--covering up the label where the barcode and verification # is. Personally, this strikes me as fairly shady, since I tend to use the verification # to both make sure the item is legit, and also ideally get graders notes if it's a lower-grade copy. I was just curious what other folks thought of this practice.

On 12/28/2021 at 2:24 AM, Yale Stewart said:

I've seen some listings recently on eBay and elsewhere where folks have been posting pics of their graded comics with some form of obstruction--usually a piece of tape--covering up the label where the barcode and verification # is. Personally, this strikes me as fairly shady, since I tend to use the verification # to both make sure the item is legit, and also ideally get graders notes if it's a lower-grade copy. I was just curious what other folks thought of this practice.

I've never understood it, and I don't like it. I suspect it's either for some sketchy (not a pic of the actual book being sold) reason or possibly some overly paranoid "privacy" reason.

I have heard claims that people are paranoid that some third party will attempt to hijack the book number for use in the Registry, but such concerns have never held water for me. For one thing, CGC's Registry folks are, and as far as I know have always been, very friendly and approachable (if busy!). Such a ploy would not long endure... and is ridiculously petty besides.

Any time I've been interested in a book with an obscured certification number, I ask for that number. If they won't provide it to me, I won't buy the book. Now that graders' notes are available to all members, that goes many, many times over.

Edited by Qalyar

On 12/28/2021 at 10:40 PM, Qalyar said:

I have heard claims that people are paranoid that some third party will attempt to hijack the book number for use in the Registry, but such concerns have never held water for me.

If people want to do this, I also wouldn't care one bit. I can only surmise that just the people who are involved with that registry thing would be concerned about this.

Always wondered about this, if there was a valid reason other than slight concern someone would try to get it in the registry, but sounds like there really isn't a worry. If I do sell one of my graded books, I leave it visible so the buyer can research if they want to.