• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staple Rust Question

14 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2021 at 5:02 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Quick question for you guys... does CGC consider dry cleaning of staple rust restoration?  Or is it permitted for a universal grade like any other cover dry cleaning?

What kind of dry cleaning did you have in mind?  hm

On 12/30/2021 at 5:02 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Quick question for you guys... does CGC consider dry cleaning of staple rust restoration?  Or is it permitted for a universal grade like any other cover dry cleaning?

Hmm... checked the CGC Labels and Grading Scales pages and looks like I found my answer... cleaning staples gets a Conserved Grade (ie, Blue/Gray label). 

On 12/30/2021 at 8:32 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Not sure... would defer to the experts.  But not if it would be treated as restoration.

Cleaned staples used to get a Qualified label, but at CGC's discretion the Conserved label incorporates staple cleaning and replacement as well...  

On 12/30/2021 at 9:33 PM, The Lions Den said:

Cleaned staples used to get a Qualified label, but at CGC's discretion the Conserved label incorporates staple cleaning and replacement as well...  

How has the market been viewing conserved labels?  I assume somewhere where between restored and universal?  But closer to restored?

Edited by EastEnd1
missed wording

On 12/30/2021 at 9:42 PM, EastEnd1 said:

How has the market been viewing conserved labels?  I assume somewhere where between restored and universal?  But closer to restored?

For me, it would depend on how much work has been done and the overall appearance of the finished product. I don't track any specific sales data for Conserved books because they're not what I normally collect, but there may be someone here on the boards that does... 

On 12/30/2021 at 9:42 PM, EastEnd1 said:

On 12/31/2021 at 8:24 AM, The Lions Den said:

For me, it would depend on how much work has been done and the overall appearance of the finished product. I don't track any specific sales data for Conserved books because they're not what I normally collect, but there may be someone here on the boards that does... 

I agree - kind of like with restoration, it really depends on what work was done. Getting a purple label for being trimmed is penalized more heavily than a purple for CT. 

Cleaning rust from Staples would be viewed more favorable than leaf casting (for example). However, it won't have the same value as a blue label. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 12/31/2021 at 8:24 AM, The Lions Den said:

Thanks for the input.  I'm curious as to CGC's thinking behind the conserved grade vs a universal grade.  On the one hand it would seem that carefully wiping off rust would be no different than gently rubbing off soiling which gets a universal grade.  But I guess in the case of rust, you're actually removing oxidized stapling (ie, an element of the original comic itself) as opposed to an external element that has migrated on to the comic??

On 12/31/2021 at 9:58 AM, KCOComics said:

I agree - kind of like with restoration, it really depends on what work was done. Getting a purple label for being trimmed is penalized more heavily than a purple for CT. 

Cleaning rust from Staples would be viewed more favorable than leaf casting (for example). However, it won't have the same value as a blue label. 

That makes sense... thanks.

On 12/30/2021 at 6:11 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Hmm... checked the CGC Labels and Grading Scales pages and looks like I found my answer... cleaning staples gets a Conserved Grade (ie, Blue/Gray label). 

This is if the staples are removed from the comic book and cleaned separately.  If you are just wiping or otherwise dry cleaning rust off, they won't give you a conservated grade.