• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

Yeah I am not saying that there is no family drama in Avatar 2 but I am just saying it is a vehicle to move the story man protecting his family so they have to move and to have some fluff to that action like their daughter being outcast because she is a less navi or their son proving him shelf to those water navi dudes. 
Still better than having some random things happen. Lets say director of Shang-Chi would have directed Avatar 2 the plot would be like avatar Jake Sully is walking in forest and finds a rock and decides that his family needs to move to water navis camp asap. Theater audience would be screaming to the screen WHY?!?

On 1/23/2023 at 9:10 AM, godzilla43 said:

Yeah I am not saying that there is no family drama in Avatar 2 but I am just saying it is a vehicle to move the story man protecting his family so they have to move and to have some fluff to that action like their daughter being outcast because she is a less navi or their son proving him shelf to those water navi dudes. 
Still better than having some random things happen. Lets say director of Shang-Chi would have directed Avatar 2 the plot would be like avatar Jake Sully is walking in forest and finds a rock and decides that his family needs to move to water navis camp asap. Theater audience would be screaming to the screen WHY?!?

In my oppinio,  the best portrayal of family in a recent comic movie is Shazam.  

The Marvels Delay Reason Reportedly Revealed

Last week, Marvel dropped the first official poster for The Marvels, the Captain Marvel sequel that will see Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) teaming up with Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris) and Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani). The poster also came with a new release date, marking yet another delay for the long-awaited sequel. The movie was scheduled to come out in July, but it has been moved to November. According to a new report from The Wrap, The Marvels was moved for a couple of different reasons. 

"Originally set for release at the end of July, Disney has instead given that late summer release slot to Justin Simien's Haunted Mansion, moving The Marvels to Nov. 10 to give more time for post-production to complete, according to studio insiders," The Wrap writes. While it's not too surprising to see The Marvels get a slight delay, it is interesting that Haunted Mansion will be a summer release rather than the fall considering its spooky nature. 

On 2/22/2023 at 4:40 PM, media_junkie said:

Most of his reviews I agree with, some I don't.  This is one I do.

He really is a rough cookie many times on things you would assume people in general would enjoy.

But on Captain Marvel... ^^

Edited by Bosco685

On 2/22/2023 at 4:40 PM, media_junkie said:

Most of his reviews I agree with, some I don't.  This is one I do.

:roflmao:

How the Hades do you review a movie that hasn’t even come out yet? Oh right, hater trolls do it all the time with Captain Marvel while making YouTube views aka money at the same time because Captain Marvel is that much of an attention magnet to the tune of a billion plus dollars and hundreds of YouTube videos fruitlessly trying to bring her down. Higher further faster, babay!

On 2/22/2023 at 6:11 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

:roflmao:

How the Hades do you review a movie that hasn’t even come out yet? Oh right, hater trolls do it all the time with Captain Marvel while making YouTube views aka money at the same time because Captain Marvel is that much of an attention magnet to the tune of a billion plus dollars and hundreds of YouTube videos fruitlessly trying to bring her down. Higher further faster, babay!

Ok, granted this wasn't a review, but it was a good statement on the situation.  I think we can all agree that Iron Man was the face/center of the MCU from the moment he was introduced.  Iron Man 1 (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), Iron Man 3 (2013), along with the Avengers movies (where he was an actually player, not some glorified cameo).

So along comes Captain Marvel in 2019 and Feige says "she is the brand going forward", well here it is 4 years later and still nothing but one movie, some crappy cameos in TV shows that have bombed on streaming, and a sequel that has now been split from 1 "star" to 3.  Push all you want, Captain Marvel cannot, and will not be able to carry the MCU forward like Iron Man did.  It started with him and ended with him.  Everything that has come out since Avengers Endgame (Iron Man dead and Captain America retired) has been "ehh" at best and spoon at worst (I don't count Spiderman because that is a Sony Movie, we are talking Marvel Studios here).

On 2/23/2023 at 10:18 AM, media_junkie said:

Ok, granted this wasn't a review, but it was a good statement on the situation.  I think we can all agree that Iron Man was the face/center of the MCU from the moment he was introduced.  Iron Man 1 (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), Iron Man 3 (2013), along with the Avengers movies (where he was an actually player, not some glorified cameo).

So along comes Captain Marvel in 2019 and Feige says "she is the brand going forward", well here it is 4 years later and still nothing but one movie, some crappy cameos in TV shows that have bombed on streaming, and a sequel that has now been split from 1 "star" to 3.  Push all you want, Captain Marvel cannot, and will not be able to carry the MCU forward like Iron Man did.  It started with him and ended with him.  Everything that has come out since Avengers Endgame (Iron Man dead and Captain America retired) has been "ehh" at best and spoon at worst (I don't count Spiderman because that is a Sony Movie, we are talking Marvel Studios here).

Captain Marvel has always been important to the company brand because of the “Marvel” name, why publisher Martin Goodman copyrighted the name in 1967 when it became public domain due to DC’s legal shenanigans.

As far as being the face of the MCU, what Mr Feige said in 2019 is “she will soon be at the forefront of the MCU.” That’s a little different from “she will be the brand going forward.” “Soon” in feature film time is a relative term, and Marvel Studios is obviously playing the long game with its characters, taking ten years alone to map out the Infinity Stones saga. And even though RDJ’s Iron Man was the face of the MCU, he wasn’t in every MCU movie. And characters like Steve Rogers and Doctor Strange weren’t immediate fan favorites. I argue Mr Rogers didn’t become a true favorite until his elevator scene in Winter Soldier. I argue Doctor Strange didn’t become a true favorite until he took on Thanos mano a mano in Infinity War. I argue that Carol Danvers is still a work in progress as Marvel Studios is slowly building out her world. With “The Marvels”, she will finally get a present-day circle of friends like other major MCU heroes have. I think she’ll also finally get the emotional gut punch story that defines other MCU heroes, because admittedly her first movie lacked that emotional gut punch narrative being a more lighthearted origin story, by design,  sandwiched between the movies with the biggest one-two emotional gut punch in MCU history. The Marvels needs to be a good movie, and delaying it a few months will help ensure that.  Marvel Studios  has also slowly shown Carol’s growing  influence in Phase Four, ie her best friend Maria Rambeau is the founder of SWORD, or consulting newbie Shang Chi in his mid credit scene. Carol Danvers will also finally finally be the leader of The Avengers in the comic books this spring.

While not necessarily looking to be the ONLY face of the MCU, signs point to Carol Danvers definitely headed towards being at its forefront in the stories and on the lunchbox, just as Kevin Feige foretold.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 2/23/2023 at 11:13 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Soon” in feature film time is a relative term, and Marvel Studios is obviously playing the long game with its characters, taking ten years alone to map out the Infinity Stones saga. And even though RDJ’s Iron Man was the face of the MCU, he wasn’t in every MCU movie.

No, he wasn't in every movie, however over the course of the "ten year plan" for the Infinity Saga he got top billing in 8 of them, Iron Man, IM2, IM3, Avengers, Avengers 2, Avengers 3, Avengers 4, Captain America 3 (and those 8 pretty much encompass the infinity stone saga).  So again, if Captain Marvel is the "Forefront" of the MCU where the heck has she been?

You don't want to admit it but "Captain Marvel" was a fluke.  It was put smack in the middle of the two most important Avengers movies (and was even set up at the tail end of one of them).  When it is all said and done "The Marvels" won't get close to what "Captain Marvel" did.  I'm talking "Wakanda Forever" drop off ($400ish million difference).  

On 2/23/2023 at 12:41 PM, drotto said:

It has already been changed multiple times, and this one will magically fix the problems? It is also not the best date, there are a few other films, that while they should not have the draw the Marvels does, are going after a similar audience.  This is a far more competitive date than the July one was.  Again, this could be viewed as burying the film. 

This,

As I've said, I'm a huge fan of the first Captain Marvel film.

It was shockingly well-written, initially presented as an '80s buddy comedy genre film with Danvers & Nick Fury - that turned out to be a solid psychological drama with at least three twists.

In short - it was better than it had any right to be - and has stood up to repeat viewings for me.

But reality matters.

1) We've past the apex of comic book superhero movies in general. 10 years of oversaturation will do that.

2) Streaming penetration is far higher today, in 2023, than it was 4 years ago - meaning that fewer people are going to the movies in general.

And there is no way to put a positive spin on either

3) Captain Marvel's losing top billing in her own sequel; or

4) A date shift from a July summer tentpole position...to November.