• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2023 at 9:50 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

Super hero movie fatigue. No genre lasts indefinitely. 

Wether you like/dislike them or they are awesome or not, general audiences are moving on with only fans remaining imho.

Disney, Warner, Sony etc should focus on providing a product to their remaining audience that is cost effective and profitable, i.e. lower budgets, better movies or TV shows and most importantly, realistic expectations.

Personally, I wish there was more animation.

Everything does go in cycles, and done well on a smaller budget with reasonable expectations,  and the MCU could be revived and be solid for years.

As an example, the Yellowsrone universe, for lack of a better thing to call it.  Now you could argue that is quickly becoming to much also, but it is proving that westerns, well written, and with good characters, are still viable.

I wish these guys would get on the same-day streaming bandwagon. I'd pay $20-$30 to watch this at home. Same thing with the upcoming Napoleon. I'm just not going to the theater again, and I know I'm not the only person I know who feels that way. It's just a different world now - going to the movies is not the event it once was.

On 11/10/2023 at 4:25 AM, fantastic_four said:

But he couldn't have known COVID would drag it out this long so I can't fully blame him.

Nah.

As soon as it all started I told my friends it would be 2-3 years before we got back to normal and I planned my life around it.

It's why I decided to stop drinking heavy, stop smoking, work on myself and made the conscious decision to come out on a high note rather than a low note. It was a conscious, calculated decision on my part and if I knew it would be that long, there's no way big industry didn't. Big industry has insider info that Joe Public doesn't. 

Or maybe it was just a lucky guess. :wink:

On 11/10/2023 at 9:50 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

Super hero movie fatigue. No genre lasts indefinitely. 

Wether you like/dislike them or they are awesome or not, general audiences are moving on with only fans remaining imho.

Disney, Warner, Sony etc should focus on providing a product to their remaining audience that is cost effective and profitable, i.e. lower budgets, better movies or TV shows and most importantly, realistic expectations.

Personally, I wish there was more animation.

Super-heroes haven't fatigued in 80 years, but I do agree that there is too much coming out all at once. 

Just slowing it down a hair, or pulling their foot off the gas for a second would allow everyone to breath and want more, but the push to make more money as fast as possible is what's killing everything. 

On 11/10/2023 at 11:54 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm just not going to the theater again, and I know I'm not the only person I know who feels that way. It's just a different world now - going to the movies is not the event it once was.

I had no idea you were in Generation Z until just now.  :whatthe:

Welcome to the geriatric ward!  Please excuse the smell.  :blush:

On 11/10/2023 at 11:57 AM, VintageComics said:

It's why I decided to stop drinking heavy, stop smoking, work on myself and made the conscious decision to come out on a high note rather than a low note.

I went in the complete opposite direction thanks to the US legalizing hemp in 2018.  :blush:

Not sure I'm on a low note though.  How's your high note going?

On 11/10/2023 at 11:54 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I wish these guys would get on the same-day streaming bandwagon. I'd pay $20-$30 to watch this at home. Same thing with the upcoming Napoleon. I'm just not going to the theater again, and I know I'm not the only person I know who feels that way. It's just a different world now - going to the movies is not the event it once was.

The problem with that is that same day streaming does not make the same money as going to theaters.  You could have 20 friends watch that film for that $30. Now that same 20 people goes to a theater and spends $15 each, that is a massive difference. The streaming model and its failure to generate consistent profits, means that studios would need to adjust budgets and expectations downward. 

I still like going to theaters occasionally, just like i love going to concerts.  There is a certain energy and communal and cultural experience that can not be replicated from home.

On 11/10/2023 at 10:59 AM, paperheart said:

via Deadline: : Marvel Studios‘ sequel, The Marvels, has clocked around $6.5M in Thursday night previews we hear from sources. Disney will be reporting their official figure this morning and we’ll update you then.

If accurate, based on recent multiples for MCU of 6-7x preview night for opening weekend, could be looking at disastrous $40-45M. Would be lowest MCU ever ($55M IH) and lower than $61M opening day for CM. #fireFeige

Just think of the implication of these numbers.  Say this movie is now looking at $300 to $350M in world wide box office?  That would put it at 65% to 70% less box office then Capitan Marvel. Now figure inflation into those number in relation to the number of tickets actually sold. With 30% inflation in addition to the box office drop, this movie has potentially 80% lower actual ticket sales.  That means this movie has potentially lost 80% of the audience from the original film. WOW.

Any producer not named Feige, would be fired next week. 

Take that to the broader discussion here about the MCU and Disney trying to find and cultivate a new audience over the last 5 years. It has been an absolute failure.  Many people and outlets have called fans criticizing this direction an assortment of awful things in defense of the changes that have been made. Given the size of the audience at the peak, that would mean massive swaths of the general population must also fall into those categories. It implies that the bulk of original MCU fans are bad people, and we live in a truly horrible society given how many people that encompasses.  I personally do not believe that is the case for the bulk of the fanbase. We are passionate fans, that love the material, and want it to succeed.   

On 11/10/2023 at 12:31 PM, fantastic_four said:

I still love going out to the movies.  Why don't you guys?  ???

Who said they don't like going out to the movies? Or is it because they are not excited over The Marvels.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:49 PM, drotto said:

Just think of the implication of these numbers.  Say this movie is now looking at $300 to $350M in world wide box office?  That would put it at 65% to 70% less box office then Capitan Marvel. Now figure inflation into those number in relation to the number of tickets actually sold. With 30% inflation in addition to the box office drop, this movie has potentially 80% lower actual ticket sales.  That means this movie has potentially lost 80% of the audience from the original film. WOW.

Any producer not named Feige, would be fired next week. 

David Heyman, Kathleen Kennedy, Jerry Bruckheimer, Neal Moritz, and Frank Marshall are not amused.  :taptaptap: