• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2023 at 2:15 PM, Bosco685 said:

This is very commonplace in every industry. 

Kevin Durant got busted pumping himself on Social Media like, MANY years ago. 

It doesn't surprise me that a corporation like Disney, with no integrity at all would lie, cheat and do anything at their disposal just to keep LOOKING successful while bombing behind the scenes. 

There is a new social order in the world, and weaponization of the media has become acceptable. 

The PR firms who took these jobs are just as guilty. They should be exposed and tarred and featherd. It's the only way things will change. 

This sort of thing makes me want to never watch another new Disney movie again. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/11/2023 at 3:15 PM, mr_highgrade said:

If the Yankees are smart they hire Buck as a bench coach immediately. I think he's the perfect guy for Boone to lean on. 

Interesting and good call.  (Imma toss that idea into my baseball chat). Didn't even consider that.  Buck was passed over for the Angels opportunity so I am hoping he keeps his foot in the game somehow.  If they Yankees will not part ways with Boone then having Buck on the bench cannot hurt.  He could be this generation's Don Zimmer. 

On 11/11/2023 at 1:54 PM, VintageComics said:

(thumbsu

Believe it or not you came up in my thoughts last night while stuck in almost two and a half hours of traffic.  

We decided to take a trip through the city and the tunnels to go to Hoboken yesterday.  Took in the views and went to dinner at Del Friscos as we wanted to be close to the waterfront.   The steaks were pretty good.  Nice recommendation from another board member and we had a lovely time.  I was not going to respond to this but after your post here and my response, as well as your explanationI feel compelled to address a few things especially after pointing out your misrepresentation and lie

You talk about advocating a "Long Island Mobster" mentality. I would more refer to it as a "fool around and find out" as the people say today.   You can only run your mouth so long before someone says that they have had enough of you.   Is that advocating violence?  Nope.  In fact I wish it never got that far.  However, sometime words fail, common sense fails, and some people don't learn when to stop.  I have learned that lesson myself the hard way some times.  I have watched others learn it the hard way sometimes. 

With that said, I hope this movie would have done better but I am starting to see a "who cares, I can wait for it to come on Disney+ mentality" from a lot of people.   Maybe some of the Marvel movies need to go away awhile.  I think it is next year where the only Disney Marvel movie will be Deadpool due to delays and reshoots for the other Marvel projects and perhaps that is the best thing possible. 

At one point we had three marvel movies a year.  

As the saying goes though, "How can we miss you, if you do not go away." 

Maybe Disney needs to relax their foot from the gas. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 11/12/2023 at 11:19 AM, VintageComics said:

Most people in the West can learn a lot from more the Japanese than the Japanese can learn from the West and I attribute it to the age and maturity of the culture. The mistakes the West are making now in all aspects, the Japanese were making 1000's of years ago. They've matured out of it. 

I've enjoyed learning about Japanese culture since Frank Miller introduced me to it circa 1982 and have tried to more or less incorporate a similar philosophy in my life since becoming an adult. 

Their greatest asset is self accountability and self editing, which is a lost art in the West. That's why they're respectful even to the things and people they dislike. 

When I lived in Europe, I had several German colleagues and students. They were more gracious and polite than any other group . Then I went to Tokyo and Yokohama for a conference, and the Japanese, likewise, were extremely courteous. After seeing dozens of WWII movies, I didn't expect either, but that is what I experienced. The same was true of my experience working for the Japanese game studio Square.

On 11/12/2023 at 7:54 PM, Buzzetta said:

Believe it or not you came up in my thoughts last night while stuck in almost two and a half hours of traffic.  

We decided to take a trip through the city and the tunnels to go to Hoboken yesterday.  Took in the views and went to dinner at Del Friscos as we wanted to be close to the waterfront.   The steaks were pretty good.  Nice recommendation from another board member and we had a lovely time.  I was not going to respond to this but after your post here and my response, as well as your explanationI feel compelled to address a few things especially after pointing out your misrepresentation and lie

You talk about advocating a "Long Island Mobster" mentality. I would more refer to it as a "fool around and find out" as the people say today.   You can only run your mouth so long before someone says that they have had enough of you.   Is that advocating violence?  Nope.  In fact I wish it never got that far.  However, sometime words fail, common sense fails, and some people don't learn when to stop.  I have learned that lesson myself the hard way some times.  I have watched others learn it the hard way sometimes. 

With that said, I hope this movie would have done better but I am starting to see a "who cares, I can wait for it to come on Disney+ mentality" from a lot of people.   Maybe some of the Marvel movies need to go away awhile.  I think it is next year where the only Disney Marvel movie will be Deadpool due to delays and reshoots for the other Marvel projects and perhaps that is the best thing possible. 

When I lived in the Netherlands, we had a fantastic theater in town. It took fifteen minutes to ride over on my bike. I loved going there for movies, often with colleagues, students, and family. The MCU films were my favorites. I wanted three movies a year but I don't think they were doing that yet when I moved to the US.

On 11/12/2023 at 8:02 PM, paqart said:

When I lived in the Netherlands, we had a fantastic theater in town. It took fifteen minutes to ride over on my bike. I loved going there for movies, often with colleagues, students, and family. The MCU films were my favorites. I wanted three movies a year but I don't think they were doing that yet when I moved to the US.

2017 saw Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, Spiderman Homecoming, Thor Ragnorak

2018 saw Black Panther, Avengers Infinity War, Antman and the Wasp

2019 saw Captain Marvel, Avengers Endgame, Spider-man Far From Home

EDIT:  hm 2021 gave us four films but one of those went straight to DisneyPlus

2021: Black Widow, Shang Chi, Eternals, Spiderman No Way Home

2022: Dr Strange 2, Thor 4, Black Panther 2.

2023: Guardians III, Antman III, The Marvels 

2024: Deadpool 3 

They have three films slated for 2025, but if they are smart then perhaps that push one further back to wean everyone back in.  

"They can't miss you if don't go away."

Edited by Buzzetta

On 11/12/2023 at 5:23 PM, Cozmo-One said:

Saw it today with my daughters.  We all liked it, and I in a particular like it a more than the other recent MCU movies.  Not sure if would have been confusing for those that haven't watched any of the corresponding Disney+ plus shows

How dependent was it on seeing Ms Marvel the series? 

On 11/12/2023 at 7:26 PM, Buzzetta said:

How dependent was it on seeing Ms Marvel the series? 

A main part of the movie is around a pair of bangles that is a large source of power (of which Ms Marvel has one and the villain has the other).  I think it's touched about in the movie, but the series goes a lot more in depth on how Ms Marvel acquired hers...if you find that interesting like I do.  So there may be some things around her history and family that are quickly glossed over in the movie.  ScreenCrush does a real nice recap of the entire series:

I hadn't read the comics so I'm not sure how closely they follow her origin story there.

First off, I don't mine Buzzetta's posts at all, but why doesn't anyone complain when HE posts off topic in movie threads?

Why do certain characters only complain when I'm posting off topic? Asking for a friend. :devil:

Anybody? :D

I genuinely don't care, I just find it funny that I get constant complaints but when Buzz posts pics of plumbing pr talks about dinner, nobody cares.

Well, actually I care. I enjoy posts like this. It's what makes us human. :headbang:

Moving on:

This is definitely part of it, but it is absolutely NOT the main reason.

The main reason is that Disney and other companies have an agreed upon system of operation, that much like in the blue collar world, they need to have a certain TYPE of content in their product to represent all sorts of people. It has to be delivered a certain way and with certain messaging. Their product needs to conform to certain ideals. This is unequivocally true. If anyone wants to see the hows and whys, all they need to do is ask.

This is WHY corporations are interfering with the art of story telling. 

A writer may want a certain type of character, or type of story and if the story doesn't conform to their strategy, they change it. But what they do in effect is they CHANGE THE ARTIST'S CREATION and add corporate content. 

Imagine a Zeppelin record being recorded, but in 1973, say...cowbell is all the rage. So they start putting cowbell in Zeppelin songs all over the place. 

But Zeppelin is in their "country and folk" era, and Cowbell doesn't belong, scream Jimmy Page and Robert Plant!!

"Well, I'm the record label owner, and I'm funding this record and the audience wants cowbell, so I WANT YOU TO PUT IN MORE COWBELL!"

So they put in cowbell everywhere, and it doesn't make sense to Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham. 

And the record tanks because there's too much cowbell. 

And then the Big Money guys blame the band. lol

And they all get fired and more Cowbell goes into the NEXT record in line.

This may sound funny, but the analogy is perfect and this is EXACTLY what is happening and why the movies are failing at the box office.

Just like in Spiderman 3. They had too many foreign corporate interests. Sony even ADMITTED to it. 

You want to see a movie that isn't failing? Find the movies that don't have too much cowbell and more true art in them.

That's what people want. 

cowbell.thumb.jpg.e445ee6864e43712669d8b380dc1e4d1.jpg

Edited by VintageComics