• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2023 at 7:26 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I wanted to go to see it in true imax but none were near me and then i was going to go with my brothers but they ended up going on their own

it did come down to either seeing barbie or oppenheimer (a director who i love) and I went with barbie

i may one day regret as much as never seeing interstellar (top 10 movie for me) in the theater

I haven't been to the theatres in over 20 years.  Interstellar is in my top 5 and I've probably watched it 20 times now. Not seeing it theatres in a huge regret for me. The scene "stay" will always remain one of my favorite . I'm going to watch it again this evening:cheers:

On 11/15/2023 at 2:33 PM, TupennyConan said:

"Fatigue" is trying to find posts about MARVELS in this thread. 

Hey bosco, do we need a second MARVELS thread? It could be called something like The MARVELS thread about MARVELS. 

How about “The Marvels Thread Where We Don’t Talk About Ourselves”? 

On 11/15/2023 at 11:33 AM, TupennyConan said:

Hey bosco, do we need a second MARVELS thread? It could be called something like The MARVELS thread about MARVELS. 

On 11/15/2023 at 11:42 AM, bentbryan said:

How about “The Marvels Thread Where We Don’t Talk About Ourselves”? 

Fair enough.  My bad 

On 11/15/2023 at 12:33 PM, TupennyConan said:

Just think MARVELS everytime someone mentions ESG and you'll be fine. 

On 11/15/2023 at 12:34 PM, namisgr said:
On 11/15/2023 at 11:54 AM, jaybuck43 said:

I like data.  Not gut feeling, not beliefs, but hard data.  

But believing is seeing.  At least I think that's how the old axiom goes.  :wink:

How about you stop being a fly in the ointment in this thread. All you've done is enter and throw stones without offering anything productive.

I don't have any agendas, asked for the data and I'm thankful that Jaybuck and jsilverjanet provided it. 

M'kay? Thanks. 

bgf8f8f8-flat750x075f-pad750x1000f8f8f8_u2.jpg.e7851363f4a6bdd88f20c953e8fe3f52.jpg

On 11/15/2023 at 12:31 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

That man is a Canadian Hero!

I have been telling your fellow Canadian boardies that now for years!

He quite literally changed my life for the better. I recommend him to all my friends, male and female, and every time I do they tell me they love him (whether in the US or Canada). 

I actually listen to his inspirational stuff daily and I've never felt better because of it. 

On 11/15/2023 at 12:38 PM, jaybuck43 said:

I just checked, those numbers are ONLY Universal, not including Universal owned subsidiaries (i.e. Focus Features).  I include all subsidiaries.  

Can I just say that I'm genuinely interested in the facts, productive discourse and not "gotcha" moments? The tit for tats have to stop (and not directed at you in General). 

I've committed to Mike to try to make this a better place and I stand by it. 

I haven't been interested in "gotcha" moments in years. 

Thanks for producing those numbers. 

Do you have all the data for Universal as well?

On 11/15/2023 at 3:07 PM, VintageComics said:

Can I just say that I'm genuinely interested in the facts, productive discourse and not "gotcha" moments? The tit for tats have to stop (and not directed at you in General). 

I've committed to Mike to try to make this a better place and I stand by it. 

I haven't been interested in "gotcha" moments in years. 

Thanks for producing those numbers. 

Do you have all the data for Universal as well?

I do, the entire US industry.

On 11/15/2023 at 8:15 AM, VintageComics said:

That's like saying the reason many people disliked Lennon's work when he was with Yoko was because he was no longer a Beatle. No. They just didn't like Yoko so it's a complete misdirection of the facts. 

People disliked Lennon's work when he was with Yoko? News to me. Sure people blamed Yoko for breaking up the Beatles (which was unfair), but I don't think that bled into a dislike of Lennon's solo output. Plastic Ono Band has long been recognized as one of the greatest classic rock albums of all time. Lennon churned out many classic songs like Imagine, Working Class Hero, Instant Karma, Jealous Guy etc. as a solo act.

I can see people getting fatigued with the similarity of the "sound" of his last few albums, something that happened to McCartney around the 80s, and also to Harrison. I personally tend to grow bored of musical acts when they just keep churing out the same stuff without evolving. 

On 11/15/2023 at 2:33 PM, TupennyConan said:

You are not wrong.  

Here's some stuff I didn't like about this movie:

Spoiler

The "villain" of this film might have been the worst Marvel villain I've seen yet.  I cannot, as of this moment, even remember her name, so I will refer to her as "Bad Teeth Lady."  Bad Teeth Lady also has one of the dumbest villain plans yet in the Marvel Universe.  Her planet is in bad shape (but I guess people are still living there).  So she is going to rejuvenate her planet by stealing the atmosphere from one planet (didn't this literally happen in Spaceballs?), the water from another planet, and the sun's energy from a third.  This is a cartoon looney toons level ridiculous scheme for a serious film (I am using the term "serious" loosely, but still).  She can apparently do this because she found a magic armband and it can open dimensional portholes in space, and, I guess if you open the porthole in just the right spot, the specific thing you are trying to suck up gets sucked up?  It also gives her super strength and stuff.  I think.  

Also, she blames Captain Marvel personally for the misfortunes of her planet, because Captain Marvel destroyed the supreme Kree AI leader, after which the Kree empire apparently descended into civil war, and it was during the civil war that her planet got messed up (i.e. by other Kree), so she targets planets that Captain Marvel personally cares about.  At least sort of.  How she knows these things?  Who cares.  

Then there's the central conceit of the film.  The plot device everything gets built around.  Which is that - completely coincidentally and completely by accident - Captain Marvel, and Monica Rambeau and Ms. Marvel all happen to be either (a) using their powers, or (b) touching a dimensional porthole, at the exact same moment, at which point they get "quantum entangled."  And now, whenever they use their powers, they physically swap places with one of the other ones across the universe.  Except for the times they don't.  It's not especially consistent.  Putting aside the ludicrousness of that, it's mostly played for laughs.  There aren't any significant ramifications from this incident.  There's a montage of them basically learning how to live with it, and then it just goes away at the end when they "win."   It's really bad writing.  

And other than that, the whole movie is just silly.  Like, really silly.  Planet of singing people and baby Flerkins eating everyone (temporarily) levels of silly.  I understand this was intentional, and I don't mind some humor and silliness in my Marvel films, but this one went way over the deep end, even more so than Thor: Love and Thunder, which was the previous champion of silliness. 

If there's retooling to be done in the Marvel Universe, I suspect it's going to be working on the tone of their films, and trying to get back to something resembling a normal balance of humor/seriousness.  Because they really lost the thread here.    

This is what worked for me:

Spoiler

Umm, some of the silliness made me smile?   Not all the humor fell completely flat?  I liked Ms. Marvel.  Out of all of them, she seemed like she was having the most fun. 

It was not aggressively disagreeable.  Just mostly silly and dumb.  A light soufflé, when I prefer my Marvel a little meatier.  But that's where other people can have reasonable disagreement about what they like/enjoy.  

I thought the call out to the Avengers/Young Avengers at the end was cute.  

(shrug)

On 11/15/2023 at 12:24 PM, Axelrod said:

You are not wrong.  

Reveal hidden contents

The "villain" of this film might have been the worst Marvel villain I've seen yet.  I cannot, as of this moment, even remember her name, so I will refer to her as "Bad Teeth Lady."  Bad Teeth Lady also has one of the dumbest villain plans yet in the Marvel Universe.  Her planet is in bad shape (but I guess people are still living there).  So she is going to rejuvenate her planet by stealing the atmosphere from one planet (didn't this literally happen in Spaceballs?), the water from another planet, and the sun's energy from a third.  This is a cartoon looney toons level ridiculous scheme for a serious film (I am using the term "serious" loosely, but still).  She can apparently do this because she found a magic armband and it can open dimensional portholes in space, and, I guess if you open the porthole in just the right spot, the specific thing you are trying to suck up gets sucked up?  It also gives her super strength and stuff.  I think.  

Also, she blames Captain Marvel personally for the misfortunes of her planet, because Captain Marvel destroyed the supreme Kree AI leader, after which the Kree empire apparently descended into civil war, and it was during the civil war that her planet got messed up (i.e. by other Kree), so she targets planets that Captain Marvel personally cares about.  At least sort of.  How she knows these things?  Who cares.  

Then there's the central conceit of the film.  The plot device everything gets built around.  Which is that - completely coincidentally and completely by accident - Captain Marvel, and Monica Rambeau and Ms. Marvel all happen to be either (a) using their powers, or (b) touching a dimensional porthole, at the exact same moment, at which point they get "quantum entangled."  And now, whenever they use their powers, they physically swap places with one of the other ones across the universe.  Except for the times they don't.  It's not especially consistent.  Putting aside the ludicrousness of that, it's mostly played for laughs.  There aren't any significant ramifications from this incident.  There's a montage of them basically learning how to live with it, and then it just goes away at the end when they "win."   It's really bad writing.  

And other than that, the whole movie is just silly.  Like, really silly.  Planet of singing people and baby Flerkins eating everyone (temporarily) levels of silly.  I understand this was intentional, and I don't mind some humor and silliness in my Marvel films, but this one went way over the deep end, even more so than Thor: Love and Thunder, which was the previous champion of silliness. 

If there's retooling to be done in the Marvel Universe, I suspect it's going to be working on the tone of their films, and trying to get back to something resembling a normal balance of humor/seriousness.  Because they really lost the thread here.    

Reveal hidden contents

Umm, some of the silliness made me smile?   Not all the humor fell completely flat?  I liked Ms. Marvel.  Out of all of them, she seemed like she was having the most fun. 

It was not aggressively disagreeable.  Just mostly silly and dumb.  A light soufflé, when I prefer my Marvel a little meatier.  But that's where other people can have reasonable disagreement about what they like/enjoy.  

(shrug)

You are ruining this thread with your serious story driven critique instead of blaming the film on the ESG illuminati.

On 11/15/2023 at 2:11 PM, sfcityduck said:

But "bad storytelling" does NOT mean centering a film on strong women characters as some here appear to be arguing.  

Nor is "bad storytelling" departing from Marvel Comics' "heritage" view of the characters by introducing a <gasp> Latino Spider-Man or a female Captain Marvel.   

I genuinely have NO IDEA where or how you made the leap to this. ???

Nobody said introducing women or minorities was bad storytelling, least of all me. In fact ESPECIALLY me since I happen to LOVE women and LOVE women from 'minority groups. One ex was Eastern European and the other was part Indian, so If anything, I'm biased because I prefer them to "white women'.

What I said was that they were MISSING THEIR TARGET AUDIENCE with the Superhero genre, of which women have MUCH less interest in than men do. Many of the women going to superhero movies were DRAGGED there by men. That's real life. 

----------------------------

When my girls were growing up, they were playing "princess" and house. 

Being a man, I would play Hulk with them, and they ALL had to take me down. I literally TRIED to indoctrinate them with male ideas. They all pretended to be superheroes for a while and I would have 4 munchkins crawling all over me, trying to take me down and it was fun as heck, but eventually they'd go back to playing house, dolls or princess and my son and I would shoot water guns, wrestle or play sports. 

I tried to get them into comic books. Like DEARLY. No interest. 

You can't stop nature. 

If you want to write compelling storylines FOR WOMEN, you need to involve emotion, complexity, depth, justice, community. Women are wired that way (even the neuroscientists in the room will agree with me). Women are "communally minded" out of necessity.

1) Fear for their safety because they are the physically weaker sex AND

2) because evolutionarily they have evolved to raise children in a community and are wired to be communally minded.

It's why they make great bankers. They don't think with their testosterone like men, who overshoot the mark and take larger risks. Women running female banks didn't go bankrupt during the great financial crisis of 2007-8. Banks run by men almost destroyed the world. 

Women WILL NOT take risks that will endanger the community. They will NOT invest in something they don't understand whereas MEN generally WILL. They'll start a fistfight in the streets.

So PLEASE STOP PAINTING PEOPLE as either being overly chauvinistic or misogynous simply because they feel the stories AREN'T suited to women. 

EVEN THE WOMEN ARE TELLING YOU THEY DON'T LIKE THE STORIES but men like you are trying to prove otherwise. 

Goodness. doh!

As has been rehashed, the stories the women in MY life love are like V for Vendetta. Evey is obviously the hero in the story, V is obiously the supporting cast, and how that was conveyed was incredibly empowering, incredibly thoughtful, incredibly REAL. 

For Evey to become the hero, she had to shed her FEMALE QUALITIES and take on MALE qualities. 

And my two youngest daughters say it's their favorite movie of all time. 

On 11/15/2023 at 3:24 PM, Axelrod said:

You are not wrong.  

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

(shrug)

Woah! Was not expecting a post about the Marvels. Carry on and thanks!