• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rick Jones...thoughts?
2 2

Rick Jones...ultimate sidekick or ultimate annoying character?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of Rick Jones?

• Ultimate sidekick
    • Ultimate annoyance
    • Somewhere in between.. I have liked and disliked him at times
    • Rick who?

34 posts in this topic

I know that Stan and Jack tried hard to make him seem cool and groovy, but before he became Bucky, he was annoying.  Rick was also annoying in those Marvel TV cartoons from the 1960s.  He only became useful, and thus interesting, when he became fake Bucky for several issues in the late Silver Age.

ca113-won.jpg

On 1/4/2022 at 9:38 AM, KirbyJack said:

I say that’s RJ, right under Stretcho’s glove.

509F54D3-CDD0-4CFD-A9B3-FF325D115077.thumb.jpeg.6f707193bdb94a12edc9610208af7650.jpeg

I loved this book.  It is from a time when they knew how to make annuals.  That being said, why is WWII Nick Fury on cover and also Kid Colt.  If you are putting Kid Colt on there, why not add the Rawhide Kid and the Two-Gun Kid too?

On 1/5/2022 at 11:09 PM, toro said:

I loved this book.  It is from a time when they knew how to make annuals.  That being said, why is WWII Nick Fury on cover and also Kid Colt.  If you are putting Kid Colt on there, why not add the Rawhide Kid and the Two-Gun Kid too?

WWII Nick Fury actually appeared in FF #21, so it makes sense to bring him back in the annual as part of the big reunion.

444148356_FantasticFour21CGC9.4.jpg.5806f812b3306f67bd02cbd80e8e62c8.jpg

I'm not remembering about Kid Colt but I know @KirbyJack will. 

On 1/5/2022 at 11:57 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

WWII Nick Fury actually appeared in FF #21, so it makes sense to bring him back in the annual as part of the big reunion.

I'm not remembering about Kid Colt but I know @KirbyJack will. 

I can't remember any early interaction between The Kids and the FF. I think they just threw him in there. Kirby did WAY more Rawhide Kid stories, so you'd think he would've gone that way. I believe the intention was just to include the entire Marvel gang.

I always got a kick out of Fury being on there as the WWII Sarge and Colonel Nick!

On 1/6/2022 at 6:09 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Avengers 97 ruined Rick Jones for me.  Arguably the most disappointing end to what was one of the coolest story arcs until that issue.

Like getting kicked in the johnnies.

I agree.  Cop-out deus ex machina ending. Turned it into more of a brief skirmish than a war.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/5/2022 at 11:09 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Avengers 97 ruined Rick Jones for me.  Arguably the most disappointing end to what was one of the coolest story arcs until that issue.

Like getting kicked in the johnnies.

Have you read Avengers Forever?

On 1/4/2022 at 7:38 AM, KirbyJack said:

I say that’s RJ, right under Stretcho’s glove.

509F54D3-CDD0-4CFD-A9B3-FF325D115077.thumb.jpeg.6f707193bdb94a12edc9610208af7650.jpeg

Love this

All this action happening and he's standing there, with hemet guy, like

"I think I'll get me a cup of coffee"

On 1/6/2022 at 9:01 PM, Randall Dowling said:

No, that was during the short period I was out of comics.  Do you recommend it?  I heard it wasn't very good.

Really?  I've heard nothing other than that it's very, very good. 
I have the tpb on the pile and have yet to get to it myself  :(