• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ways to Prevent Slab Fraud
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Hello. I'm not sure if this is even the right place for this, but I was thinking about how rampant slab fraud is out there on eBay and the like, and thought there must be a better way to ensure this can't happen nearly as frequently as it does.

So I came up with an idea... I'm not sure if it's been brought up before, or if it's even being implemented now, but what about etching in the CGC certification number onto the inner well in such a manner that it IS visible if you look for it (maybe the very bottom, or top), but so that it isn't obtrusive and glaring, such as HUGE and in the middle of the comic? Because it's unique to the graded book, people should not be able to easily duplicate this and just switch out the label on the top, because it would no longer match what's etched into the inner well.

Also, maybe add a bit more information on the inner well... such as the grade and the book title, vol. and issue number.

Just food for thought... 

Edited by IThinkILikeComics_PleaseHELP

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message and interest in CGC.  Our holders are designed to be tamper-evident and difficult to open and remove the collectible. There is no way to re-seal a holder once it has been cracked.  Our holders certainly have changed over time and will continue to evolve in the future.  I can definitely pass your suggestions on to our management team for consideration.  

Thank you!

I've been around a while and although slab fraud exists at least on the rare occasion when I've seen it it's been evident although perhaps not to those new to the hobby.

Please note I buy book, not the slab label, whereas most who've joined the hobby the last decade do not. Thus I do not foresee a situation where those like myself fall victim.

Hello all, and thank you for the replies. I suppose I was a bit carried away when I used the word "rampant". I'm just a paranoid person. Though I have seen examples of people removing the label and replacing it with another one, without any evidence of it having been done that I could see. They posted videos of it, which is how I know.

In any case, I still think it's a good idea to etch that information into the inner well for that added bit of security.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, GreatThingsforCheap said:

Hello all, and thank you for the replies. I suppose I was a bit carried away when I used the word "rampant". I'm just a paranoid person. Though I have seen examples of people removing the label and replacing it with another one, without any evidence of it having been done that I could see. They posted videos of it, which is how I know.

In any case, I still think it's a good idea to etch that information into the inner well for that added bit of security.

Please post those links.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:10 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thank you for your message and interest in CGC.  Our holders are designed to be tamper-evident and difficult to open and remove the collectible. There is no way to re-seal a holder once it has been cracked.  Our holders certainly have changed over time and will continue to evolve in the future.  I can definitely pass your suggestions on to our management team for consideration.  

Thank you!

Have you been paying attention to recent events regarding this particular issue? It seems maybe your post wasn't very accurate.