• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention, May 6-8, 2022, Lombard, IL
1 1

41 posts in this topic

We're now just four months away from the 21st Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention! This year's show will be held May 6-8, 2022 at our usual venue, the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center, Lombard, Illinois. We've sold out all 180 of our dealer tables, to dealers spanning the U.S., from Canada and the U.K. We'll be celebrating the 100th anniversary of pulp and comic publisher Fiction House.

In addition to pulps and paperbacks, there are always many dealers there with Golden Age, Silver Age and other vintage comics, as well as original comic art.

At this point, we don't know what COVID requirements may be in place when the show takes place. Currently, masking would be required, but protocols may change during the next four months. We'll update those as we learn them.

As has been the case in years past, this year's convention will feature some incredible material in our estate auctions. Friday night (May 6), our auction will focus on material from the estate of legendary collector Robert Weinberg (including many more issues of Weird Tales and a complete run of Planet Stories), while on Saturday night, (May 7) material from the estate of Glenn Lord, literary agent for the estate of Robert E. Howard, takes center stage. In addition, we also will have a number of interesting items from other consignors.

The deadline to book your hotel room and receive the convention rate is 5:00 central on April 12, 2022. The link for con hotel reservations is:

We hope to see you there!

img20220109_13481271.jpg

Several beautiful issues of Weird Tales from the estate of Bob Weinberg will be in the Friday night (May 6) auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL). They include this one, dated October 1928.

Weird Tales 1928 10.jpg

Among the pulps that will be in the Friday night (May 6) auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL) from the estate of Bob Weinberg will be in a complete set of the classic space opera pulp, Planet Stories. This beautiful issue, dated Spring 1949, is one of 'em. Clear ether!

Planet Stories 1949 Spring.jpg

The strongest early competitor to Weird Tales was the pulp, Strange Tales, which ran for seven issues between September 1931 and January 1933. A complete set of Strange Tales will be in the Friday night (May 6) auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL) from the estate of Bob Weinberg. Here's the copy of the first issue which will be in the auction, with a classic cover by Hans Wesso and stories by authors such as Clark Ashton Smith and Ray Cummings. Smith's story in the issue, "The Return of the Sorcerer," would be reprinted in 1942 in the CAS Arkham House collection, "Out of Space and Time."

strange tales 1931 09.jpg

In addition to material from the estates of Bob Weinberg and Glenn Lord that will be in the Friday night (May 6) and Saturday night (May 7) auctions at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL), we'll have some rare items from other consignors.

Here's one of those, the Holy Grail of Robert E. Howard collecting, the 1937 Herbert Jenkins edition of "A Gent from Bear Creek." Per The World of Robert E. Howard website, only 18 copies are know to exist. This copy comes from the estate of Alistair Durie, who bought it at a London bookshop. The dustjacket (which I'll show in the comments) is not original, but a color copy that Alistair got from Glenn Lord. This book will be in our Friday night (May 6) auction.

Gent from Bear Creek.jpg

Here's one of rare paperbacks that will be auctioned in the Friday night auction (May 6, 2022) at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, Illinois). This one is exceedingly scarce -- "The Human Bat v The Robot Gangster" by Edward R. Home-Gall, published in London by Mark Goulden Ltd. in 1950. As the blurb on the back cover says, "...it provides hours of exciting reading as only Edward Home-Gall can write." Who am I to argue? :)

Besides our auctions, the dealer room will feature 180 tables filled with pulps, paperbacks, vintage comics, original illustration art and much more, from dealers across the U.S., Canada and the U.K. We hope to see you there!

Home-Gall Human Bat vs Robot Gangster 1950.jpg

There will be several rare Clark Ashton Smith items in the Saturday night auction (May 7, 2022) at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, Illinois). In addition to rare books -- many signed by CAS -- and correspondence from him, is this piece of original art. We'll be posting photos of the auction material sometime in April.

sn0104.jpg

If you're looking for rare or signed Clark Ashton Smith items, there will be several in the Glenn Lord Estate Auction being held Saturday night, May 7, 2022, at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, Illinois).

Here's one of 'em - Smith's "The Black Book". This is Smith’s notebook from 1930-1961. It was transcribed and edited in 1961 by Donald Sidney-Fryer with R.A. Hoffman (editor of “The Acolyte”). Although it was later printed by Arkham House in 1979, this is a copy made from the original transcription between October 14 and November 14, 1961, which Lord had professionally bound in black boards. Annotated and with notes on the text by Fryer. A unique CAS item.

We'll be posting photos of the auction material on our website (www.windycitypulpandpaper.com) sometime in April.

sn0099.JPG

If you're a fan of pulp artist P.J. Monahan, several Munsey pulps featuring his covers will be in the Saturday night auction (May 7, 2022), at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, Illinois).

Here's one of 'em - The All-Story February 1914. In addition to the cover novel, by Rex Stout, the issue features the third part of Edgar Rice Burroughs' third John Carter novel, "The Warlord of Mars", which was serialized in four installments.

sn0113.jpg

With the 2022 Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention rapidly approaching (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL), I thought I'd post this piece by the great Frank Kelly Freas, which was sold at our 2005 show.

The Saturday of that show, a guy walked in with a portfolio of SF art that he'd collected but now wanted to sell, all from Planet Stories. The good news was that he stopped at my table first. The bad news was that I wasn't at my table. So he went to the next table, where my friend Bob Weinberg was smart enough to be sitting, waiting for just such an opportunity. Bob quickly bought all of the art, which he was happy to show me when I returned to my table.

However, taking pity on me, Bob did sell me a few of the pieces that he'd just picked up, including this Freas, which ran in the March 1954 issue of Planet Stories for "Grandma Perkins and the Space Pirates" by James McConnell.

Freas Planet 1954 03 Grandma Perkins and the Space Pirates restored.jpg

For those looking to acquire complete sets of the classic SF pulps, Famous Fantastic Mysteries and Fantastic Novels, in one fell swoop, look no further than the Saturday night (May 7, 2022) auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center).  Lot 128.1 will be a complete set of all 81 issues of FFM, while Lot 128.2 will be a complete set of all 25 issues of Fantastic Novels.

sn0128-1.jpg

sn0128-2.jpg

The auction images for this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center) are being loaded in the next few days to our website (www.windycitypulpandpaper.com). The first 100 lots for Friday are on there now, and instructions on how to bid are at the website's first Friday night auction page.  In the meantime, you can download or view the catalog and the images here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hpby1vfm8mh1u13/AAD5FO0PIWrw4zci6avaegxca?dl=0

Among the rare pulps in the auctions at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL), is this issue of Juicy Tales. Bearing a cover date of November 1929, it would prove to be the first and only issue; with its second issue, it was renamed Joy Stories (nearly equally as rare). Published by Merwil Publishing, this was one of Harry Donenfeld’s first pulp publishing companies (in conjunction with Frank Armer and Merle Hersey). Donenfeld and Armer would later launch Culture Publications and the Spicy chain of pulps, and Donenfeld would later take over what became DC Comics.

FN0100-3.jpg

On 4/15/2022 at 7:18 PM, Stevemmg said:

Three short weeks to go!  My absolute favorite show for many reasons. Randall Dowling and I will be there and I will have a booth with a few thousand comic magazines. Can’t wait!

Have an extra pass? :devil: