• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd Annual Grading Contest Round 1 (Results are In)
11 11

221 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 6:43 PM, Point Five said:

Yup, right there with you! I hammered it for that. (I also thought the staples looked kind of dark/tarnished, but at 9.0 I assume that's not the case.)

+1 with those staples.

I'll ask a few questions next round. Still, even knowing it was not a stain and the staples were fine, I'd never have given it a 9.0.

GA + Pedigree bump.

Edited by grendelbo

On 1/14/2022 at 8:56 PM, Cushing Fan said:

Wow, I'm glad I didn't do too bad as those books all graded higher than I thought.

I thought

I thought the GA books looks nicer than my guesses, especially after C &P, but you don't usually see GA books come in that high! 

On 1/14/2022 at 6:59 PM, Funnybooks said:

never forget the GA bump and the WWBN32 bump...

GA bump

Pedigree bump

WWBN32 bump

Promise Collection mega-bump

What else has the CGC-approved bump?

On 1/14/2022 at 7:02 PM, Funnybooks said:

Of the 3, I was actually most confident about the Whiz being a 9.2 (shrug)

I should've factored in it was the likely Pedigree. Likely won't see one low-or-mid grade.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:37 PM, Croatbag said:

I based my master grade on what I thought whiz was, since I thought it had to be lower for sure.  They were both nice but the master has the sun shadow, I don't see how they could possibly both be the same grade, I think the whiz is clearly nicer.

Well, this is where we see that CGC doesn't really care about eye appeal (hence why the CVA sticker is an add on and not something that influences the actual grade), it's all about wear and tear. And in terms of that, both are the same one creases are pressed out.

We learn that at the 9.0 grade, sun/dust shadow (which the Master suffers from) does not impact the grade neither do any issues with ink during original production (which the Whiz suffers from).

And CGC is as strict on soiling as ever with that tiny spec of soiling at the top of the Whiz' back stopping it from going any higher.

We also see that the master had a lot more pressable defects than the Whiz.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:35 PM, grendelbo said:

I guess that's not a stain on the bottom edge of the back cover of the Master Comics.

We discussed it a bit earlier in the thread when someone asked, that reddish blob is from an ad on the other side of it. You can see it forming a word if you follow it through (don't know what it says though)

On 1/14/2022 at 7:04 PM, William-James88 said:

Well, this is where we see that CGC doesn't really care about eye appeal

I believe they do.

That's where we see the 0.5 grades. I grade the same. A book, for example, could be technically a 5.0 but if presents well it gets the 5.5 and the occasional 6.0 if other attributes outweigh the flaws.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:04 PM, William-James88 said:

We discussed it a bit earlier in the thread when someone asked, that reddish blob is from an ad on the other side of it. You can see it forming a word if you follow it through (don't know what it says though)

I did grade before that comment, and didn't think there would be comments even! I thought that was a tough stain and would hammer the book.

Like I said, wait until next round!  :sumo:

That's right. This has only just begun. Sure, I'm in 15th place right now. But with enough blood, sweat and determination, and enough long hours of research.... 14th place. (Possibly 13th.)  :sumo:

On 1/14/2022 at 8:41 PM, Bird said:

this is stupid

I quit

Hahahahaha

On 1/14/2022 at 8:43 PM, Point Five said:

Yup, right there with you! I hammered it for that. (I also thought the staples looked kind of dark/tarnished, but at 9.0 I assume that's not the case.)

It really seems CGC just hates soiling and wear and tear, which is understandable. These books were not meant to last this long, how it would look like 70+ years from then was not in anyone's mind, so when it comes to age taking it's natural toll, CGC doesn't really consider it. Just like how the same grade could have white pages or cream pages. It also answers your other question about why CGC allows foxing and shadow, CGC finds a difference between the natural passage of time hurting a book as opposed to purposeful handling of a comic.  Oxidation can happen on the staple, I don't think CGC minds as long as it doesn't affect the page touching, since then it becomes a stain. 

On 1/14/2022 at 8:43 PM, Croatbag said:

Press didn't take this out on the Whiz I guess? Sounds like something a press would fix

very small, very light, multiple indent top of back cover

That's why my 9.2 guess didn't pan out.

An indent can still leave a mark when pressed if it's been indented for decades, but I don't know. Sounds like something we wouldn't see unless looking real hard. Is that all there is to the notes?

On 1/14/2022 at 8:47 PM, Comics4All said:

So what were the end scores?

2 9.0s for the Shazams and a 9.8 for B&B?

Yup, and you are on the leader board (meaning you guessed well enough not to be in the negatives)

On 1/14/2022 at 8:53 PM, Croatbag said:

Sun shadow wasn't even mentioned in the notes, I'd much rather take light foxing than a sun shadow.

I preffer sun shadow. Foxing is bacteria/mold slowly deteriorating your book. While it might look nicer, the implications are worse for me. Also, pretty sure slabs are not air tight (someone correct me if wrong), which would mean your book keeps deteriorating.

I had

Whiz - 9.0

Master - 7.5

B&B (looked like water damage on the back bottom)  6.5,  I am stunned that got a 9.8.  was there a "$$ tip $$ " sent in with it?

Tough white back

Back – Bottom middle small tear or water stain (1.4 to 1/2 in.)  – small indentation

Back – Top Left – small black stain

Some general staining along spine.

Edited by mikej61

On 1/14/2022 at 9:08 PM, grendelbo said:

I believe they do.

That's where we see the 0.5 grades. I grade the same. A book, for example, could be technically a 5.0 but if presents well it gets the 5.5 and the occasional 6.0 if other attributes outweigh the flaws.

There is definitely evidence for what you say, I have seen it too. But CGC has many graders and not everyone grades identically. Some are straight up technical. I can't spoil anything, but ..well... we'll see.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:06 PM, grendelbo said:

I'm wary of pressing anything pre-1970. @William-James88 made the right decision.

For those three, we'll see about the rest.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:11 PM, Bird said:

I did grade before that comment, and didn't think there would be comments even! I thought that was a tough stain and would hammer the book.

Like I said, wait until next round!  :sumo:

Looking forward to it. And yeah, comments happen, especially since it's fair to ask questions to clarify things.