• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd Annual Grading Contest Round 1 (Results are In)
11 11

221 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2022 at 5:27 PM, William-James88 said:

Contest results so far. If you do not see your name on this list, it's because you scored a negative number. This is just the beginning though, 6 more books to come, and all as hard.

image.png.84cd38589ab4a85b420f69cc0bb699ad.png

Extra grading stats per book

Whiz Comics 78

Lowest grade given: 5.5

Highest grade given: 9.2

Average grade: 8.0

Master Comics 76

Lowest grade given: 5.0

Highest grade given: 9.0

Average grade: 7.0

Brave and the Bold 200

Lowest grade given: 7.5

Highest grade given: 9.8

Average grade: 9.2

Interesting how the Averages are exactly the grades I assessed these comics to be before being pressed

Aka “if you do not see your name on the list, ya suck!”

Ill step up my game…

I teetered between 9.2/9.0/8.5 on the Whiz, settling with what I figured was a conservative 8.5.

The Master I hammer on that red being a stain and gave it the all time low 5.0. I would not have gone up to 9.0 on it at any point. 8.0 maybe, but I really just don’t look at or handle golden age at all.

B&B, I figured that crease would have been color breaking from the scan.  So 9.4/9.6. Again conservatively, went 9.4.

All great looking books and fantastic grades @William-James88

On 1/14/2022 at 8:57 PM, grendelbo said:

+1 with those staples.

I'll ask a few questions next round. Still, even knowing it was not a stain and the staples were fine, I'd never have given it a 9.0.

GA + Pedigree bump.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:59 PM, Funnybooks said:

never forget the GA bump 

Firstly, the bumps are factors. So you're not adding, you are multiplying to get the grade :D

But joking aside, I think the results instead show the opposite, that there is no GA bump. Because if there was, that Whiz 78 would be higher than 9.0. That Master simply had lots of defects that are not due to wear and tear and thus looks worse but has as little wear.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:04 PM, grendelbo said:

I should've factored in it was the likely Pedigree. Likely won't see one low-or-mid grade.

I own some mid grade pedigrees. While the Promise collection does seem overgraded at times, I think for the most part Pedigrees do not get a bump (well Church might, but those are the nicest books on the planet, everyone bumps them).

Edited by William-James88

Heh, am I the only one who thought the Master looked higher graded than the Whiz comic? I thought structurally they were both pretty good looking, but the Whiz just seemed a little more worn/faded.  

And I even thought the B&B could possibly be a 9.8, but there wasn't a lot of percentage in guessing that.  xD

On 1/14/2022 at 9:40 PM, Crops068 said:

All great looking books and fantastic grades @William-James88

Thanks, more to come. And I will be posting pics of these in slabs when they arrive. So we'll get to see what the final look is. 

By the way (this is for anyone curious) that colour from the inner page seeping through also happens on the front cover of Master 76.

Here is the inner page, which is an add for a magic kit:

Master Comics #76 Page 2

image.thumb.png.5ed78a870da5e9c67d90ac02890c874e.png

Edited by William-James88

On 1/14/2022 at 10:01 PM, Axelrod said:

but there wasn't a lot of percentage in guessing that

I briefly considered taking that angle but want to try and nail the grades (which is why I won't read for comments as I don't want to see other guesses)., which is why I did so well with 1 pt total!

On 1/14/2022 at 10:01 PM, Axelrod said:

Heh, am I the only one who thought the Master looked higher graded than the Whiz comic? I thought structurally they were both pretty good looking, but the Whiz just seemed a little more worn/faded.  

And I even thought the B&B could possibly be a 9.8, but there wasn't a lot of percentage in guessing that.  xD

Yes. While some gave both Fawcetts the same grade, you are the only one which thought Master looked higher.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:21 PM, Point Five said:

That's right. This has only just begun. Sure, I'm in 15th place right now. But with enough blood, sweat and determination, and enough long hours of research.... 14th place. (Possibly 13th.)  :sumo:

I too will be surfing.... for better answers next round.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:09 PM, Tombofdracula50 said:

Thank you for your concern. I apologize for not participating but my mother passed away. 

There are no words.  Many of us have been through this.

If you need anything feel free to PM. 

On 1/14/2022 at 6:53 PM, Comics4All said:

I think we should have given  @Tombofdracula50 more time to answer!

By the way, Based on how he responded not so promptly to this, I would hate to see how he would hold up the live picking for the raffle! 

Yep I would hold anything for my mother who passed away today. Sorry my mind has been else than a grading contest.