• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC Grade The Scent?
4 4

27 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2022 at 5:04 PM, joeypost said:

I have also seen certain graders “smell” certain books to help verify which pedigree they were. Freaked me out the first time I saw it, but was later educated as to why later on.

At your convenience, I would enjoy an elaboration.

I was at a show in Chicago where they offered on-site grading and one dealer had two books he thought were from the Church Pedigree. Two of the graders came to his booth to look over the books and they both smelled them. I was later told the closet they were stored in was lined with cedar, and the books had a slight odor to them based on that fact. It was one of the ways they used to identify that particular pedigree. I took them seriously, but hope it was not some elaborate joke on their part, as I am sharing it with others today. 

Smell can be an issue. I had a Golden Age collection a few years ago and it took forever to get the musty basement odor out of them as I had to store them separately from other comics or the odor would transfer to other comics. 

Also, the smell of a book can assist in identifying a pedigree book as I've done over the years with a few of the Church pedigree copies that turned up in the wild. There are still a few out there even today.