• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else over the Promise Collection?
6 6

235 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2022 at 4:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Depends, if you are a an old school type of collector, you would downright love the look and the strong colors of the book.  :luhv:  :takeit:

If you are more of the new generation CGC label collector who likes the big number on the top left hand corner of the slab, not so much.  :fear:

Neither of the above, its not a binary choice,at least for me, and, all due respect, you have no idea what I might be thinking. Planet #38 is one of my very favorite comics. I love the cover, which I find beautiful and strange, and the interior art is some of the best in all of Fiction House. It's also one of the first Planets I ever owned, so it holds a special place for me, regardless. I am endlessly fascinated by the way Fiction House used [or abused] the CMYK model. Thanks to your post, I now find myself thinking more about Green than hitherto, and I'm grateful for this.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:18 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Neither of the above, its not a binary choice,at least for me, and, all due respect, you have no idea what I might be thinking. Planet #38 is one of my very favorite comics. I love the cover, which I find beautiful and strange, and the interior art is some of the best in all of Fiction House. It's also one of the first Planets I ever owned, so it holds a special place for me, regardless. I am endlessly fascinated by the way Fiction House used [or abused] the CMYK model. Thanks to your post, I now find myself thinking more about Green than hitherto, and I'm grateful for this.

No Michael, all old school collectors would like it.  All of them.  You're not a true collector.  How dare you step out of line. 

On 1/27/2022 at 6:58 PM, buttock said:

No Michael, all old school collectors would like it.  All of them.  You're not a true collector.  How dare you step out of line. 

Well, I was tempted to go green, and say that I'm somewhat jaded by the Mint discussion, but one pines for - well, you get the idea.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:25 PM, buttock said:

I thought the Church Planets had above average, but not ideal, colors as a whole.  I was really happy the 5 had above average colors.  It's notoriously difficult to find unfaded.  

planet 5.jpg

...tragically, neither of them by me. (And last time I checked, I only have two kidneys.)

On 1/27/2022 at 9:18 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Sorry, my bad and certainly meant no disrespect to you at all as I was really talking more in terms of the overall general state of collecting nowadays and definitely not specifically about your particular collecting choices.  :sorry:

As for the Green colors to which you are alluding to, I guess this is one of the main reasons why I have always been attracted to this particular issue of Planet, as Green has always been my favorite color.  As for this particular copy here, I always loved to purchase books that presents far nicer than the technical grade that's been assigned to them.  (thumbsu

Although I am certain that others might tend to disagree, from my own personal point of view I feel that this copy of Planet 38 certainly presents a lot nicer than the majority of other CGC 6.5 graded books, at least from a front cover image POV.  I guess its books like these that if they were in a CL or CC auction, would most likely have one of those CVA or QES stickers attached to them.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Always hoped to acquire this particular copy here one day, but highly doubt it will ever happen since I've been waiting for years now, but still no dice.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap: :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/27/2022 at 9:18 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Green covers are my favorite. Especially FH green ones. My favorite FH book is Fight #35. I have upgraded for color several times and am always looking for a better one. Now you got me curious. I got to pull out my Planet #38 and check it out again.

On 1/27/2022 at 1:21 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Cue gazillions of PM's from boardies happy to take those off your hands.

https://quotefancy.com/media/wallpaper/1600x900/2124382-Haile-Selassie-Quote-You-must-always-remember-that-to-lead-one.jpg

I thought about it. I’ve been after a #3 since like forever. I know, me and what army?  But I quickly realized I probably couldn’t even afford what Richard even paid the nice older couple for it…:roflmao:

On 1/27/2022 at 10:07 PM, october said:

Cheap BIN a few years ago off eBay. I was going to resell it, the pieces out of the bottom edge bothered me, but my hydrocephalic hypodermic cover set wouldn't be the same without it. 

373762323_001(473).thumb.jpg.61afd526d18284c4d0a6a30c607669f4.jpg

:gossip: I think @MrBedrock just got a copy in his shop this week 

On 1/27/2022 at 10:07 PM, october said:

Cheap BIN a few years ago off eBay. I was going to resell it, the pieces out of the bottom edge bothered me, but my hydrocephalic hypodermic cover set wouldn't be the same without it. 

Those chips wouldn't bother me the colors make up for it (thumbsu

On 1/28/2022 at 4:14 AM, comicjack said:

Those chips wouldn't bother me the colors make up for it (thumbsu

Yeah, no worries here as that's just Fiction House chipping, similar to Marvel chipping which the CGC graders tend to go very lightly on.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/27/2022 at 7:07 PM, october said:

Oh wow! Beautiful colors on that copy. Pieces out of the bottom edge? What pieces? I would be over the moon for a copy that pretty!