• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE EQUALIZER 3 starring Denzel Washington (2023)
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Theater counts: The Equalizer 3 charges into 3,965 theaters

It will be one week and done for Blue Beetle as the widest release as this weekend’s only new wide release makes its way into theaters and to the top of the list in the form of the third installment of The Equalizer franchise. While Blue Beetle pulled in a solid $12 million in its second weekend, it was stymied by newcomer Gran Turismo: Based on a True Story, along with the continued success of worldwide phenom, Barbie, which took the first and second place prize respectively at the box office.

Launching in 3,965 cinemas, The Equalizer 3 brings back Denzel Washington as ex-government assassin, Robert McCall, who since giving up his work and moving to Italy finds himself taking on the mafia in order to protect his friends. The film is directed by Antoine Fuqua and reunites Washington’s Man on Fire co-star, Dakota Fanning. The first chapter went on to score $34 million from 3,236 locations in its opening weekend, while the second installment earned $36 million from 3,388 theaters from its debut weekend four years later.

While The Equalizer 3 is the only true new wide release arriving to North American cinemas this week, MGM’s high school sex comedy, Bottoms is expanding into 715 venues this week. The film opened in 10 select cities last weekend and took in an excellent $461,052. The Emma Seligman-directed film follows two girls who set up a fight club to hook up with cheerleaders before graduation.

On 9/1/2023 at 5:58 PM, paperheart said:

I applaud the ability for all involved to reach the third film in a series which I had no idea existed

I was skeptical at first because I enjoyed the original series but Denzel nails it. Had it been a different actor, I doubt it would have made it to 3 except for direct to videos.