• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battle of the Golden Age Sci-fi Series
2 2

125 posts in this topic

Of course they all swiped from each other. Bellamy admired Matania, for example. Even the great Frazetta swiped from Wally Wood!

"I did those covers at a time when I had total mastery; I could draw anything and draw it superbly. Remember that, up to that point, I had been drawing in pen and ink for 10 years professionally. I was drawing every day. The more you draw, the better it gets. At least, that's the way it worked with me. I tried to vary my approach on each one of the Famous Funnies covers -- different subjects and different rendering techniques. I don't want to bore the fans by imitating myself and I certainly don't want to bore myself. On one cover I used Craftint board just to change the look a bit. I even swiped an interior rocketship scene from Wally Wood on one of the covers. I did it deliberately. Why not? If you're going to swipe a rocketship interior, who better than Wally Wood? I try never to swipe. I prefer to make things up. This was a little tribute to Woody. Wally was very pleased. We used to have fun with one another in those days by doing that kind of thing. The guys loved my covers; Steve Douglas (the art editor of Famous Funnies) just loved my stuff. It really is some of the best drawing I ever did. Some would argue that the Canaveral Plates from the early '60s were better. Maybe they're right. All I know is that I was very pleased with those Famous Funnies covers; they are me at my very best."

lf_008.jpg

On 1/16/2022 at 5:21 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Flex throwing the gauntlet down on all things Sci-fi 💪. Lots of super cool pieces!

Apart from my Planets, most of my sci-fi is now in collected editions. A great deal of the greats have now been collected! Sadly, DC has not properly collected Strange Adventures, though just before the DC Archives line ended, they trailed a Captain Comet Archive. It was never published, but if they had restored the artwork in preparation, perhaps one day it will see the light of day. They did at least collect Adam Strange.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Tuf7GsF2q74/UPkxTviDO4I/AAAAAAAApls/NXym4a5E3m0/s1600/capt-comet-arch.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo