• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Sign-up Thread CLOSED!!!
29 29

618 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 11:21 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It makes me curious as to how many will be eliminated for not submitting their grades. lol

Also how many who are so new they will submit grades A B C D or F.

On 1/18/2022 at 2:11 PM, PovertyRow said:

Filled up and the number of single digit post counts is very disturbing. With many 1 post counts just to post here they made it. Seriously?

It's all about the :flipbait:

That $500 grading carrot is the driver. Hopefully at least a small percentage will stick around and contribute in some way. 

@CGC Mike depending on how this one goes, maybe open up the next one to members only for a week first?

On 1/18/2022 at 4:12 PM, Davidor said:

"How dare people enter a competition before me, look at all these people who want to join in the fun. Don't they know they don't have enough experience for fun?" This is all I am reading right now in the comments.

A large majority of the entries were driven by email communication touting a $500 grading credit for the winner. The "fun" plays no part in most of the entries. If you've participated in past contests or know how they worked you might have a better understanding of what's driving those comments.  Previous contests were about improving your skills, bragging rights and yes some cool prizes. Those were all donations from other members which I doubt we'll see as part of this contest. Maybe I'm wrong on that point though...

On 1/18/2022 at 9:32 PM, universal soldier said:

If you've participated in past contests or know how they worked you might have a better understanding of what's driving those comments. 

You don't know the history people have outside of the CGC boards, or more for a fact of simply observing. I agree a chunk of participants are here for the prize, but you can't get annoyed for them entering an open competition with a offered prize. Incentives drive spreadability.

On 1/18/2022 at 4:25 PM, universal soldier said:

It's all about the :flipbait:

That $500 grading carrot is the driver. Hopefully at least a small percentage will stick around and contribute in some way. 

@CGC Mike depending on how this one goes, maybe open up the next one to members only for a week first?

Oh, I'd grab that grading credit, don't get me wrong, but the reason that I entered is strictly for bragging rights. :preach: 

On 1/18/2022 at 1:12 PM, Davidor said:

"How dare people enter a competition before me, look at all these people who want to join in the fun. Don't they know they don't have enough experience for fun?" This is all I am reading right now in the comments.

Absolutely nothing to do with experience.

PS - I have learned so much reading your 6 posts made in 3+ years!

Edited by PovertyRow

On 1/18/2022 at 4:58 PM, Davidor said:

You don't know the history people have outside of the CGC boards, or more for a fact of simply observing. I agree a chunk of participants are here for the prize, but you can't get annoyed for them entering an open competition with a offered prize. Incentives drive spreadability.

I really doubt that anyone is truly annoyed. If the driver was to increase board membership and at least 5% of the newcomers turn into contributing members to the boards, it was worth it. If the point was to simply promote submissions to an already overloaded backlog, meh not so much...

we've also seen the sudden re-appearance of boardies who definitely had to find the new web address to log in!

The more the merrier.

What am I surprised has not gathered more attention is that they asked us to add to the prize list. I can see this happening with smaller contests but 350 people? I hope I am proven short-sighted.

Hey n00bs, stick around. talking about flippin' marnies got old quick, we need some new blood

The ratio of lurkers to active posters on any public message board is higher than many people realize. This is often known as the 1% rule: "The 1% rule is a rule of thumb pertaining to participation in an internet community, stating that only 1% of the users of a website add content, while the other 99% of the participants only lurk." There is even some peer-reviewed evidence supporting this.

Cash prizes are something that can lure out lurkers, so I don't think it's surprising that there are a lot of lower post count entrants.