• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question Regarding VAT number for art coming from Portugal
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I bought a page from a seller in Portugal, and their custom form is asking that they get a VAT or tax identification number from me. I’m a private citizen and not a business in the US. Anyone have any idea what they need to enter for this? They’ve tried NA and leaving it blank, and it’s not working. 
thanks

This came up once for me doing a deal out of Italy. I just made up a number with 9 digits.

Does anybody think they're actually verifying anything? Maybe a checksum at most, but I'd put $50 on a "no" even there.

No doubt this is all illegal in Italy, but I'd like to see them try to petition The Hague to bring criminal charges against me in New Hampshire :) 

On 1/17/2022 at 1:46 PM, vodou said:

This came up once for me doing a deal out of Italy. I just made up a number with 9 digits.

Does anybody think they're actually verifying anything? Maybe a checksum at most, but I'd put $50 on a "no" even there.

No doubt this is all illegal in Italy, but I'd like to see them try to petition The Hague to bring criminal charges against me in New Hampshire :) 

I mean, there’s no way on earth I would give anyone my social security number over a comic art sale. So the fake number worked? Did you declare the actual amount of the sale?

On 1/17/2022 at 6:29 PM, BCoffee said:

I mean, there’s no way on earth I would give anyone my social security number over a comic art sale

I wouldn't worry about it, all of China and Russia already have it.

So the fake number worked?

Sure. Everyone just needed the form completed. That's the Beauty of Bureaucracy.

Did you declare the actual amount of the sale?

I was the buyer, so it -the actual amount of the sale- was recorded outgoing on the export form by the seller.

But the amount is immaterial as long as your seller fills the forms out correctly as to "what" it is.

image.thumb.png.51c4d29cdc1647b1ba130ae15a6daba7.png

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-360?language=en_US