• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excess cover, not cut completely

3 posts in this topic

I can't seem to find the answer to this question, slthough it might be due to me searching incorrect keywords. 

How does excess cover, not properly trimmed cover effect the grade? I have attached some photos. Thank in advance!

20220117_172031.jpg

20220117_172108.jpg

20220117_172042.jpg

20220117_172118.jpg

20220117_172130.jpg

Overall the book appears to be a higher grade copy.

I think it would depend on weather this is a Bindery Defect or if it happened after the fact.

How do you determine if this is a Bindery Defect?

If it is a Bindery defect, according to the Grading Standards...

NM 9.4 - MT 9.9 "Only Subtle Bindery Or Printing Defects Are Allowed".

VF 8.0 - NM- 9.2 "A Limited Number Of Bindery Or Printing Defects Allowed."

Of course grade is determined by the overall condition of the book, how would CGC view this?

How do you determine if this is a Bindery Defect???

Bindery Defect - Defects associated with the binding process, including mistrimming, miswrapping, inaccurate stapling, etc.
Bindery Trimming Defect Taxonomy - Comic is not cut/trimmed correctly at the bindery.

Type I - Cover cut squarely:

• la. - Cover square--rectangular part of back cover shows along spine or right edge of front cover.
  • lb. - Cover square--triangular part of back cover shows along spine or right edge of front cover.
  • lc. - Cover square--white unprinted rectangular strip at either top or bottom of front cover indicating that cover travelled before trimming.
  • ld. - Cover square--white unprinted triangular strip at either top or bottom of front cover indicating that cover travelled before trimming.
  • le. - Same as la but applies to back cover.
  • lf. - Same as lb but applies to back cover.
  • lg. - Same as lc but applies to back cover.
  • lh. - Same as ld but applies to back cover.

Type 2 - Cover not cut squarely:

• 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d, 2e, 2f, 2g, 2h. - Cover not square/otherwise same as la, lb, lc, 1d, le, lf, lg, lh.
  • 2i. - Cover not square/no other defects.