• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never A Shortage Of Spiderman Comics
3 3

43 posts in this topic

Man. Whenever a new auction cycle comes up, I enjoy browsing. On each site, there are TONS of Spiderman comics. Pages of them. Same with sales pages. Pages and pages of those things. Doesn't matter if it is before during or after a movie cycle. Doesn't matter if Spiderman is gigantically popular or is seeing an ebb in popularity.

It's like every person in the US - the WORLD - received tons of Spiderman books at birth. I can't think of another title that boasts so many available back issues at all times.It's aggravating to a degree to scroll through pages of them on a new auction listing. I just brace myself for it. Just jump ahead 5 or 6 pages and I'm STILL in Spiderman land.

Edited by Randall Ries

On 1/18/2022 at 12:59 PM, Randall Ries said:

Man. Whenever a new auction cycle comes up, I enjoy browsing. On each site, there are TONS of Spiderman comics. Pages of them. Same with sales pages. Pages and pages of those things. Doesn't matter if it is before during or after a movie cycle. Doesn't matter if Spiderman is gigantically popular or is seeing an ebb in popularity.

It's like every person in the US - the WORLD - received tons of Spiderman books at birth. I can't think of another title that boasts so many available back issues at all times.It's aggravating to a degree to scroll through pages of them on a new auction listing. I just brace myself for it. Just jump ahead 5 or 6 pages and I'm STILL in Spiderman land.

after issue 150 i'm betting.

On 1/18/2022 at 12:59 PM, Randall Ries said:

It's basically the same 200 books in every auction, though.

On 1/18/2022 at 4:05 PM, kav said:

after issue 150 i'm betting.

That doesn't seem to matter. Go to any sales or auction site and look. It's remarkable. Maybe the same could be said for Batman, Superman, Detective Action etc. I was thinking that as "hot" as Marvel is, SO. Many. Spiderman. Books.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:49 AM, Buzzetta said:

Board member once asked me why I collected a full run of Amazing Spider-man instead of X-Men.  I told them that collecting X-Men ran past my bedtime. 

Where a book is in an auction can be a big factor. I suspect a lot of people have blown their wads early in auctions and are broke by Day 4 of these multiple day auctions.  Everyone is on edge for Amazing Spiderman but by the time you get to the X's, exhaustion and cash flow has ebbed.

On 1/19/2022 at 5:45 PM, shadroch said:

Where a book is in an auction can be a big factor. I suspect a lot of people have blown their wads early in auctions and are broke by Day 4 of these multiple day auctions.  Everyone is on edge for Amazing Spiderman but by the time you get to the X's, exhaustion and cash flow has ebbed.

What used to kill me is when I purposely pass on books that I have interest in to go after books that are later in an auction only to lose those and find I could have won the books that were earlier in the auction. 

Now I try to bid things up to draw out some competition to see where things are at before the final day. 

On 1/19/2022 at 2:52 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 1/19/2022 at 2:45 PM, shadroch said:

What used to kill me is when I purposely pass on books that I have interest in to go after books that are later in an auction only to lose those and find I could have won the books that were earlier in the auction. 

Now I try to bid things up to draw out some competition to see where things are at before the final day. 

My experience is basically related to clink only, but my experience is that the first day of auctions closing is the best day to score under-priced stuff. However, Spider-Man is not what I bid on.

On 1/19/2022 at 6:05 PM, lizards2 said:

My experience is basically related to clink only, but my experience is that the first day of auctions closing is the best day to score under-priced stuff. However, Spider-Man is not what I bid on.

I know I overpaid for last night's purchase but every time I don't pay what I think it is worth, it only goes up and then I wind up paying more.  The prices are getting too high for my tastes and I feel that this might be the last year I am upgrading any silver Spider-man's. 

On 1/19/2022 at 3:15 PM, Buzzetta said:

I know I overpaid for last night's purchase but every time I don't pay what I think it is worth, it only goes up and then I wind up paying more.  The prices are getting too high for my tastes and I feel that this might be the last year I am upgrading any silver Spider-man's. 

Let me know if you are getting rid of your down-grades.

On 1/19/2022 at 6:21 PM, lizards2 said:

Let me know if you are getting rid of your down-grades.

Nah... lol 

My goal is to eventually take up three spaces in the registery's top 100 sets of ASM 1-100.

I currently occupy #37, 96, 159, 371, 413 and 508

539292332_ScreenShot2022-01-19at6_35_40PM.thumb.png.c265f574e6d2de4bc7580d2f1a864521.png

On 1/19/2022 at 6:41 PM, shadroch said:

Every collector I know wants to trade for Ditko Spidey's.  It's as if they just discovered him.

I think Romita was better to be honest.  But on the flip side my favorite silver age ASM cover is #23... by Ditko. 

On 1/19/2022 at 4:44 PM, Buzzetta said:

I think Romita was better to be honest.  But on the flip side my favorite silver age ASM cover is #23... by Ditko. 

I'm not a fan of Ditkos art but I appreciate his growing following.