• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submission advice, please…
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Been about three years since I last submitted to CGC, and before I take the plunge again (and steel myself for a year-long wait for the books to come back to me), I figured I’d ask the experts here for some advice first. 

I have two high grade DD keys (131 and 168) that will definitely be submitted for a clean and press, but which which service should I pursue?

Edited by alexanderjk

On 1/19/2022 at 9:34 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:
On 1/19/2022 at 9:07 AM, alexanderjk said:

Thank you for the reply. No snark here, but will they ever “catch up”? 

They're working on it. I think that, eventually, they will.

I agree that they will eventually "catch up".  BUT I don't think it's worth it to wait, assuming you can afford it now and don't mind having your comics out of hand for a while.

For example, lets say it would currently take a FULL Calendar year for the whole process for press and sub right now.  But at best six months from now the whole process would take 9 months, which is a significant 25% improvement.  But you wouldn't get your comics back until 15 months from now, which means you would get your graded comics back later (meaning you might miss the chance to capitalize on a price spike in the 3 month difference), and you might be subject to CGC raising (or USPS/UPS) raising their prices on either grading/pressing/membership/shipping or any or all of the above within the six month wait (prices don't go down).  Now if you've got your money invested in something with a pretty good return for the six months (good for you!) prior to submission then maybe it's worth a wait for a shorter actual submission turnaround time.

As for submission tiers:

DD 131 Is almost certainly a 'standard' submission unless you think it'll press to a 9.8.  But I would submit as 'standard' and CGC can upcharge you later if they deem it necessary.

DD 168 I would submit 'modern' if you think it'll go 9.4 or less, and let CGC upcharge if they think it necessary.  If you're sure it'll go 9.6 or higher it should be 'standard', then you can submit on the same form as 131.  If you go modern, than fast track is optional of course.

Generally if you think you're near a border of tiers, you can try to submit to the lower tier in (reasonably) good faith.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:55 AM, FoggyNelson said:
On 1/19/2022 at 10:53 AM, revat said:

I agree that they will eventually "catch up".  BUT I don't think it's worth it to wait, assuming you can afford it now and don't mind having your comics out of hand for a while.

For example, lets say it would currently take a FULL Calendar year for the whole process for press and sub right now.  But at best six months from now the whole process would take 9 months, which is a significant 25% improvement.  But you wouldn't get your comics back until 15 months from now, which means you would get your graded comics back later (meaning you might miss the chance to capitalize on a price spike in the 3 month difference), and you might be subject to CGC raising (or USPS/UPS) raising their prices on either grading/pressing/membership/shipping or any or all of the above within the six month wait (prices don't go down).  Now if you've got your money invested in something with a pretty good return for the six months (good for you!) prior to submission then maybe it's worth a wait for a shorter actual submission turnaround time.

As for submission tiers:

DD 131 Is almost certainly a 'standard' submission unless you think it'll press to a 9.8.  But I would submit as 'standard' and CGC can upcharge you later if they deem it necessary.

DD 168 I would submit 'modern' if you think it'll go 9.4 or less, and let CGC upcharge if they think it necessary.  If you're sure it'll go 9.6 or higher it should be 'standard', then you can submit on the same form as 131.  If you go modern, than fast track is optional of course.

Generally if you think you're near a border of tiers, you can try to submit to the lower tier in (reasonably) good faith.

Thank you! This is all super helpful. 

I may move in the next 15 months, which adds an additional wrinkle, but I’m not in a rush to get the books back as I have no intention of selling. I’m guessing an email or phone call to CGC can resolve that issue. 

I’ll take your advice and submit both to the standard tier (pretty confident that they’ll grade at 9.6), hope for the best, and then…wait. Sigh.

Edited by alexanderjk

On 1/19/2022 at 1:10 PM, alexanderjk said:
On 1/16/2022 at 6:55 AM, FoggyNelson said:
On 1/19/2022 at 10:53 AM, revat said:

As for submission tiers:

Thank you! This is all super helpful. 

I may move in the next 15 months, which adds an additional wrinkle, but I’m not in a rush to get the books back as I have no intention of selling. I’m guessing an email or phone call to CGC can resolve that issue. 

I’ll take your advice and submit both to the standard tier (pretty confident that they’ll grade at 9.6), hope for the best, and then…wait. Sigh.

good luck, and although its obviously more expensive to go standard, putting them both on the same form does save a LITTLE bit in invoice and shipping fees.  If you send now for press and sub, you're probably in line to get them back for a Christmas gift to yourself (hopefully Halloween gift).  

On 1/19/2022 at 1:59 PM, revat said:

good luck, and although its obviously more expensive to go standard, putting them both on the same form does save a LITTLE bit in invoice and shipping fees.  If you send now for press and sub, you're probably in line to get them back for a Christmas gift to yourself (hopefully Halloween gift).  

Sounds like standard is the way to go. Didn’t even consider that timeline, but you’re right: opening that box will be a great “gift” to myself. Thank you for the input!