• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resubmitting slabbed SS book for regrading
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying I am not here to trash CGC. I am, by and large very happy with CGC particularly with their customer service. 

I have had about ~200 books either graded or in the process of being graded by CGC over the last 18 months when I opened by account. Generally speaking I have been satisfied with the grades received, sometimes they are a bit higher and sometimes a bit lower than I had hoped for. And to be honest I’ve actually had more pleasant surprises than disappointing ones as I consider myself a tough grader so my expectations are never sky high. 

that said I submitted an SS order in person at TorpedoCon this summer and I was assisted by the incredibly helpful Brittany. I received this order a few weeks ago and honestly I was pretty shocked by the grades I received. So much so that I’m considering a resub for a second opinion. Normally when people are unhappy with a blue label sub, they simple crack out and resubmit, however with an SS it’s a little tricky because it has to be sent in it slab. So I have a couple of questions and I’m hoping you can shed some light on..

if I submitted a slabbed SS book does the person who ends up regrading the book know that this is a submission of a previously graded book? If so do they know what the previous grade was?

my issue is obviously that if they do know that it’s a resub then they know it wasn’t given a 9.8 initially and this may cause them to not be open to giving it a 9.8 grade and furthermore if they have access to the previous grade it seems to me that they may be disinclined to overrule a coworkers opinion. Clearly I can’t know if a grader might act in this way however I’d rather not burn money in order to find out. 

thanks 

PS - I am aware that the grades I received may be a result of some internal defect rather than the cover. If this turns out to be the case and I overlooked some internal damages, that is something I believe needs to be accounted for with grader notes. I actually completely understand why CGC doesn’t provide notes on every book. However if the damage is not visible when slabbed I believe it should be absolutely mandatory to be explained in grader notes. 

Edited by Dimez

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message. Yes, any time you resubmit a CGC graded book, the previous grade will be logged into the system and can be viewed by the graders.  This does not mean, however, that this information would affect the regrade.  They would grade the book just as they would any raw book coming in.  Sometimes we have changed the grade on books coming in for a regrade and sometimes not.  It really just depends on the book and what the graders see when the re-examine it. 

Graders notes, however, are not always provided.  Notes are there as a means of communication between the graders.  If one grader wants to point out a specific defect to another grader they will make a note.  But often they don't feel the need to point anything out so no notes will be made.  The graders notes were never there specifically for the customers.  We allow the customers to view the notes when available but they are not a guaranteed part of the grading service, unfortunately.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

Hi Jennifer

thank you for your fast response. 

allowing the grader to see the previous grade seems really odd to me, in fact I’m really having a hard time imagining a purpose for this other than to influence the new grade and to avoid a huge gulf between the old grade and a new one. 

I do appreciate the information though, thank you.