• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite YouTubers Who Talk Comics?
2 2

52 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2022 at 9:30 AM, Ninja0215 said:

Gemmint is another good one. 

Is that the guy with comictom?

Too scripted. 

Tom's ok but I like him best when he's just chatting with Russ, Jeff or Ryan.  Do we really need more lists? 

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 1/29/2022 at 10:40 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Is that the guy with comictom?

Too scripted. 

Tom's ok but I like him best when he's just chatting with Russ, Jeff or Ryan.  Do we really need more lists? 

Im not sure, it might be. 

On 1/29/2022 at 8:29 AM, D84 said:

Most of them I can't stand. They feel like people trying to hype the books they want to unload.

ETA Nick and Comic Tropes are rare exceptions to mass hoards of dumb f:censored:s.

I gave Comic Tropes a try but clicked out after a couple episodes because in one episode it was clear he was pulling his “information” out of his arse and didn’t know what he was talking about. 

That’s one of the problems I have with a lot of pop culture journalism:  I get that it’s just toys and comics and video games, nothing super important in the grand scheme of things, but at least put in the effort to get the “journalism” aspect of it halfway right. 

On 1/29/2022 at 10:52 AM, Number 6 said:

I gave Comic Tropes a try but clicked out after a couple episodes because in one episode it was clear he was pulling his “information” out of his arse and didn’t know what he was talking about. 

That’s one of the problems I have with a lot of pop culture journalism:  I get that it’s just toys and comics and video games, nothing super important in the grand scheme of things, but at least put in the effort to get the “journalism” aspect of it halfway right. 

Who said Comic Tropes was journalism?

On 1/29/2022 at 9:33 AM, D84 said:

Who said Comic Tropes was journalism?

When someone lays out a narrative for how things transpired historically with a particular item from pop culture and then offers that narrative up as fact, that to me is an attempt at engaging in journalism. 

If you want to take issue with my use of the term “journalism” then by all means, but I think the underlying concern about comic book YouTubers is still valid. 

His video that I took issue with happened to be an area that is of interest to me and that’s why I caught the inaccuracies. But there is far more about comics and pop culture that I know little about. It would be nice to know that what I’m watching is reasonably accurate. 

If we’re going to excuse these YouTubers as ‘not serious journalists, they’re just guys talkin’ ‘bout comics’ and therefore don’t have to fact-check, then personally I really don’t see the point in watching any of it. 

I like sites that showcase specific books, and lots of them, like Comic Collector Geek, with some history but no spec.  The dude is constantly adding to his collection (20K+ books).  In all of his vids, 100s of old books (mostly GA but also many SA Marvel and DC keys) are displayed on the walls and table tops.  It's a cool, immersive vibe no matter what the vid is about.  But you need to be comfortable with a random experience because the vid titles often say little about what you'll actually see, and the vids are often on the longer side.  Lots of GGA and even some cool, rare risque books (like Zombie Trap #1).  

For comic talk, Bronze and Modern Gods, Automatic Comics, Reapertate728 and ETA Nick (when he's not being too cynical about the hobby :nyah:). 

Edited by Pantodude

On 1/24/2022 at 9:12 PM, Ijiwaru Sensei said:

There are quite a few YouTube channels that discuss comics, but I think my favorite has to be Comic Tropes hosted by Chris Piers. He's not posting content every day, but I've found his content well-researched and informative.

Comic Tropes

Who are some of your favorites?

So many "preview screens" (if that's the term) of these speculation guys just turn me off. They seem to be using comic talk as a secondary thing to promote themselves, to paraphrase a YouTube comment I read recently- and though that comment was a troll (I think), I agreed with that specific point. I do like ComicTropes, and I like Very Gary- while Very Gary does a lot of speculation stuff, he comes across as a very affable, sincere guy who runs his show quite well and also has gone to lengths to stress that what turns one collector on doesn't necessarily mean every collector needs to follow it. 

I want to enjoy Comic Book Historians but I'm amazed that a show calling itself that would call itself that without knowing the total score of things. Very recently, the host remarked on Stan Lee's oft-recorded claim about winning a writing contest so many times that the Editor called him down to ask him to stop so others could have a chance to win. He wondered aloud if this was Stan possibly exaggerating... which means that a channel calling itself Comic Book Historians did *not* read Tom Spurgeon's book about Stan Lee which debunked and proved this story to be false, due to something called research.

My point is, there's a glut of comic YouTubers who read one thing or hear enough things said in hearsay and then go and make content without knowing everything possible about that subject. I'm still waiting for the comics show I would fall in love with. Probably something with a horror host/Svengooli vibe, just about comics. Hmm...

I think Comic Tropes is the only one I can stand. So far I've yet to discover anyone else I consider watchable. Always trying to hype up their own , or they've got voices fit for print. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic