• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Constitutes a "Medium" Spine Split?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct forum for this post, but I was wondering if there's a general guideline to what constitutes a "medium" spine split in grader's notes, rather than small or large. Is it 1"-2"? More? Less? Just curious. There may not even be a guideline and it's just how the grader felt like describing it, but thought I'd ask. Thanks!

That's actually a great question, but I'm not sure that we can get a definitive answer about the grader's criteria for "medium" in this context.

Personally, I would consider anything less than 1" to be small. I suppose that I would consider 1-2" to be medium, and then 2"+ to be large.

@The Lions Den, is there a streamlined criteria that you can comment on, or does it differ from person to person?

On 1/26/2022 at 8:20 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's actually a great question, but I'm not sure that we can get a definitive answer about the grader's criteria for "medium" in this context.

Personally, I would consider anything less than 1" to be small. I suppose that I would consider 1-2" to be medium, and then 2"+ to be large.

@The Lions Den, is there a streamlined criteria that you can comment on, or does it differ from person to person?

First, I love the phrase "streamlined criteria." That's great, man!  (thumbsu

Next, I think the word medium shows that the grader thought it was significant but not severe. Of course, a quick measurement with a common ruler would have been helpful in this situation...   hm  

Edited by The Lions Den

Spine splits are not measured in small, medium and large, they are measured in inches.

0.5 POOR (PR) Can have extremely ragged spines or a complete, book-length split.

1.0 FAIR (FR) Spine split can extend up to 2/3 the length of the book. 

1.5 FAIR/GOOD (FR/GD)  May have a spine split between 2" and 2/3 the length of the book.

2.0 GOOD (GD) May have up to a 2" spine split.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG) May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2".

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG) Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split.

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN) A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. 

6.0 FINE (FN) A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:36 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Spine splits are not measured in small, medium and large, they are measured in inches.

0.5 POOR (PR) Can have extremely ragged spines or a complete, book-length split.

1.0 FAIR (FR) Spine split can extend up to 2/3 the length of the book. 

1.5 FAIR/GOOD (FR/GD)  May have a spine split between 2" and 2/3 the length of the book.

2.0 GOOD (GD) May have up to a 2" spine split.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG) May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2".

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG) Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split.

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN) A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. 

6.0 FINE (FN) A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break.

I mean, I would assume you'd list it in inches, but on these CGC grader's notes it just says "Medium Spine Split Bottom Spine"

On 1/26/2022 at 12:37 PM, Yale Stewart said:

I mean, I would assume you'd list it in inches, but on these CGC grader's notes it just says "Medium Spine Split Bottom Spine"

I cannot answer the question of what does CGC consider a "Medium Spine Split", the definition of medium is "about halfway between two extremes of size or another quality; average."    

By that definition only, one can only assume that the split is anywhere from 4" - 6" long.

What grade did the book receive?

Can you see the split through the slab and measure it.

Have you contacted CGC and asked them what their definition of a "medium spline split" is?

On 1/27/2022 at 9:46 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I cannot answer the question of what does CGC consider a "Medium Spine Split", the definition of medium is "about halfway between two extremes of size or another quality; average."    

By that definition only, one can only assume that the split is anywhere from 4" - 6" long.

What grade did the book receive?

Can you see the split through the slab and measure it.

Have you contacted CGC and asked them what their definition of a "medium spline split" is?

The book was graded at 2.5. It's a listing, so I'm unable to look at the spine myself. As for contacting CGC, that's kind of what I thought I was doing via this thread, but I posted in the Ask CGC forum as per silverseeker's recommendation.

Without seeing the actual book one would assume that with a grade of GD+ 2.5 that the spine split would be between 1" and 2" according to the grading standards, unless the book was a higher grade and the spine split reduced the grade to a GD+ 2.5.