• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Line's MORTAL KOMBAT 2 (TBD)

61 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: New Line is getting back into a fighting stance on a sequel to Mortal Kombat, the action adventure film based on the blockbuster video game franchise. The studio has hired Jeremy Slater to write Mortal Kombat 2.

Slater was head writer on the Marvel/Disney+ series Moon Knight, which stars Oscar Isaac, Ethan Hawke and Gaspard Ulliel, the French actor who last week died in a skiing accident after the series’ first season had been completed. Slater is also writing to direct Thread for Screen Gems, with James Wan and Atomic Monster producing. His recent scripting credits include the Netflix/21 Laps film Uprising with Travis Knight directing, and adapted Stephen King’s The Tommyknockers for Universal and James Wan. He also developed The Umbrella Academy for Netflix/UCP/Dark Horse and was creator and co-showrunner of The Exorcist on Fox.

Based on the Ed Boon and John Tobias-created video game phenomenon. The last film was released in April 2021 during the pandemic, simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max opening number one at the box office and ranking among the top feature titles ever on HBO Max since the platform launched. The film was directed by Simon McQuoid, who produced with Todd Garner, E. Bennett Walsh and James Wan. In last year’s action-fest, an MMA fighter sought out Earth’s greatest champions in order to stand against the enemies of Outworld. It was a battle for the universe. No other deals are locked at this point. Lewis Tan, Jessica McNamee, Josh Lawson, Joe Taslim, Mehcad Brooks headed the cast.

Yes, this is great news! Fingers crossed for Skarlet, Ermac, Noob Saibot (he's a shoe-in though), Kuai Liuang, Kenshi, Kira, and of course we'll be getting the man himself, who I won't name for the Meta's sake. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

I didn't bother listing Kitana because I figured she was a given. 

Spoiler

Iirc the Mileena actress has signed on for multiple films. Of course she could be just another Mileena clone, but that seems a tad unlikely. 

On 1/27/2022 at 1:06 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Yes, this is great news! Fingers crossed for Skarlet, Ermac, Noob Saibot (he's a shoe-in though), Kuai Liuang, Kenshi, Kira, and of course we'll be getting the man himself, who I won't name for the Meta's sake. 

Recognize most of those names

What about Cyrax, Kabal and Jade? Or where they in the first one?

On 1/29/2022 at 2:30 AM, The Meta said:

Recognize most of those names

What about Cyrax, Kabal and Jade? Or where they in the first one?

Kabal was in the first one, he even had one of the most memorable scenes IMO. 

On 1/29/2022 at 4:39 AM, The Meta said:

Nice, loved that guy

He looks and sounds good in the film. We just don't his story, which is a common theme for many characters, as expected, but not even a line hinting at it. Still, he does manage to stand out, IMO. I won't spoil how. Just remember, this isn't a film big in explaining. 

Jeremy Slater: The Mortal Kombat sequel is awesome. I’m having a ton of fun. I can’t really share any details about it, but we want to make something that the fans really love and I think it’s a really great creative team. They have been listening to the fan reactions and they know what fans loved about the first movie and what they didn’t. Everyone is creatively setting out to really make a sequel that tops the original in every way. We’re still very early in the process, but the fans should be really excited. It’s going to be awesome.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:53 AM, The Meta said:

I take this back

This movie was terrible

The bit about Kabal I thought was memorable was his death. The way he says his 'oh sh*t' cracks me up. 

So, what didn't you like about it? 

On 6/26/2022 at 7:13 AM, Cat said:

The bit about Kabal I thought was memorable was his death. The way he says his 'oh sh*t' cracks me up. 

So, what didn't you like about it? 

It was super cheese

Lui Kang and Kung Lao are terrible, as is Sub Zero

Scorpion was ok, but thats it, just ok

The only real good thing was the CGI, it was well done 

I really liked the actor who played Kung Lao. I'm trying not to be biased because Lao is one of my favourites, but I thought he did a good job and was a bit of a show stealer (outdone by Kano). I was horrified to see his fate. I wanted a Shaolin Monks spinoff film. 

But fair enough, it was absolutely a flawed film. 

EXCLUSIVE: After the most recent pic overachieved at box-office, New Line is ready to get back in to the arena on a new Mortal Kombat pic as sources tell Deadline, Simon McQuoid is set to return as director to the sequel to New Line’s hit 2021 action adventure. Mortal Kombat was McQuoid’s feature directorial debut and was released simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max during the pandemic in April 2021.

The featured opened number one at the box office and ranks among the top feature titles ever on HBO Max since the platform launched. While some point to F9 or A Quiet Place Part 2 as to when audiences returned to theaters post-pandemic, Mortal Kombat was one of the early features to take a crack to seeing audiences’ interest in returning to theaters and the results surprised many, especially since the film premiered day-and-date on HBO Max as well. Execs were quick to get a sequel in development and one of the first orders of business was bringing McQuoid back to direct.

The only thing that movie overachieved was cheese

And people thought the 90s movie was cheesy. And it was. But it was also enjoyable, had a story you could follow and characters with depth and logic