• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration: Does restoration lower the grade?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have a comic book I'd like to submit for grading. It has restoration. How does this effect the grading?

Does CGC start with a base grade (as an example, I'll use 9.0) then deduct grades for each restoration (trimming -0.5, color touch up -0.5)? I'm sure there are more factors and I'm all ears.

Regards

On 1/26/2022 at 1:43 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

I have a comic book I'd like to submit for grading. It has restoration. How does this effect the grading?

Does CGC start with a base grade (as an example, I'll use 9.0) then deduct grades for each restoration (trimming -0.5, color touch up -0.5)? I'm sure there are more factors and I'm all ears.

Regards

Hi, no restoration does not affect the grade negatively (usually). If CGC sees a colour touch, like the use of a sharpee  to cover a colour breaking crease on a black background) CGC deducts 0 points for it and instead does as if the colour breaking crease is not there. So the grade is improved. They do slab your book and give it a purple label, signifying that the book includes restoration.

Edited by William-James88