• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is coverless book an "apparent" grade?

12 posts in this topic

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-apparent-vf-75-white-pages/a/122205-19036.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Am confused on this week's Heritage auction.  The above Amazing Fantasy receives a "restored" grade of 7.5... but the description says the cover is a color photocopy.  Yes, it says incomplete on the label, but how can a photocopy be an "apparent" anything?  Couldn't you just make a photo-shopped color copy to be a 10.0?  Anyway... just curious if this is just a one-off mistake, or is actually a "thing".  It's at over $6000 with 2 days to go.

The last coverless copy went for over $15k on Heritage, so I think this one has a way to go. Single pages have been hitting $3-5k on ebay. Nutty. Those were sales from The Dentist Jr., too, so I'm inclined to believe they're legit.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 1/28/2022 at 4:53 PM, Bookery said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-apparent-vf-75-white-pages/a/122205-19036.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Am confused on this week's Heritage auction.  The above Amazing Fantasy receives a "restored" grade of 7.5... but the description says the cover is a color photocopy.  Yes, it says incomplete on the label, but how can a photocopy be an "apparent" anything?  Couldn't you just make a photo-shopped color copy to be a 10.0?  Anyway... just curious if this is just a one-off mistake, or is actually a "thing".  It's at over $6000 with 2 days to go.

And I like how they cite prices for a 2.0 - 8.0 ("Overstreet 2021 GD 2.0 value = $9,600; VG 4.0 value = $19,200; FN 6.0 value = $38,400; VF 8.0 value = $110,400.") rather than prices for a .5/NG/coverless, which is how it would be graded now.

I saw that book and wondered the same thing.  Here is another book in an old label (although when I enter the cert #, it says cannot be found so I am guessing it was resubbed or CPRed along with the label so it was removed or my eyesight may just not be good) so I can't compare the grading dates.  The AF 15 was graded 10-21-2002.  

But these books have the same grade.  I had always assumed even at the beginning of CGC the AF 15 would have gotten a GLOD.  In any event, these two books grade-wise are the same and just like the change up of how tape is viewed is not only confusing but can distort sold price data (my opinion anyway).  Buy the label not the book....

BTW, the All Select #2 sold on HA on March 6, 2003 for $1,322.50 (and we were probably amazed it got that much back then :blush:)

1199213384_allselect.thumb.jpg.18819c5f304489c63b40b5840d1a2bd6.jpg

On 1/28/2022 at 4:53 PM, Bookery said:

Yes... quoting myself.  In my final sentence I should have worded it "just curious if this was just a one-off mistake, or was actually a "thing".  Obviously it's an old label (2002 per above) and isn't how CGC grades books now.  Just to be clear.

They stopped doing it a very long time ago

Here is another example. 0605266001 from 2004

In 2009-2012, at a time coverless copies were a $1,500- $2,000 proposition, this very deceptive 4.5 label sold on ebay for well over $2,000.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:53 PM, Bookery said:

Couldn't you just make a photo-shopped color copy to be a 10.0?

In that scenario the cover would be minty, but the interior contents are all original with all the original damage.  If you "qualify" the book with a repo cover, the interior needs to count against the 10.0 cover, right?  No way it should be a "restored" book.  However, your question is specific to how CGC addresses the issue and they change their grading criteria all the time.  It's universal grade SHOULD be 0.5.

Photo-shopped covers are not reproduction covers though.  Photocopy covers or facsimile covers on the other hand...

Have you heard of Jay Company Museum Editions?  Photo-shopped covers printed (nicely on high-end rag paper) attached to existing comic books and CGC gives them all Universal labels.  :wavingwhiteflag: