• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The cost of pressing

17 posts in this topic

several members seem to have some expertise in the art of pressing.

So,a simple question; How much does it cost to press a typical book. I'm sure the price varies,so please let us know what the minimum would be.

I figure that with that figure,plus the $35 minimum to get it slabbed,we can begin to get an idea of the cutoff point where we don't need to worry about a book being pressed.

For example-if it cost $50 to press a book,and at least $35 to slab it,then you can safely assume that almost all books priced at $100 or less are press free.

Is it cost effective to press a raw 8.5 Avengers 100

into a 9.0?

I'm assuming that pressing is done mostly on hi-$ books,but I've never seen a discussion on how low the debris field of pressed books might get.

Like anything else, you get what you pay for. I had a book pressed by Matt Nelson, and the cost was $80.

Who knows what PCS will charge.

As far as I know, I am still in possession of my living soul.

Your assumption is flawed.

What's to say Jason Ewert (or Matt Nelson for that matter), doesn't press their own books. It cost nothing. Only their time (and my guess is that isn't very long).

Say Jason buys a raw $10 NM- book knowing if it gets a CGC 9.4 it's worth $80.

Pay $10, press, slab for $25 and make a $45 profit. Without the pressing the book might not even be worth slabbing.

Go to Classics Incorporated and click on "services" & then "Conservation".

I was looking at this for some time this morning. I would imagine the basic outline of what Heritage/CGC & Classics Incorporated believe to be conservation can be found here.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Classics Incorporated

Go to Classics Incorporated and click on "services" & then "Conservation".

I was looking at this for some time this morning. I would imagine the basic outline of what Heritage/CGC & Classics Incorporated believe to be conservation can be found here.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Classics Incorporated

That is one scary website.