• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists Who Don’t Generally Sell Their Work?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2022 at 5:48 AM, modelmaker said:

Phil hasn't sold any of his work ever since he went totally digital, which has gotta be at least 10 years by now.  There are definitely pages floating out there from his analog days, but they are usually from less popular titles.  His style has evolved so much since his analog days, that those earlier pieces really aren't that appealing imo.  With each passing day, more and more digital artists are offering monoprints of their work; artists like Pepe Larraz, RB Silva, Pasqual Ferry, and a bunch of other artists that are repped by Chiaroscuro Studios, Artcoholics, and Essential Sequential.  Nice income supplement there!  It would be cool if Phil ever decides to go that route.

Funny I always though Phil painted his pieces - didn't realise he was a digital artist.

I know that digital work and monoprints are generally disliked in this forum. I won't go into it but I disagree with that general consensus. Would you buy a monoprint of Phil's work if he decides to produce them?

On 1/30/2022 at 8:22 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I recently went looking for some artwork by Phil Winslade, and after contacting him, he responded that he doesn’t sell his art. Checking on CAF showed that there is, indeed, very little published work of his out there that has been sold.

As a convenience to the community, I was wondering what other artists, aside from Walt Simonson, also make it a practice not to sell. Even then, some things will occasionally slip out, or the artist does’t follow that rule, like with Simonson’s preliminaries. I also don’t count commissions since their whole purpose is to be sold. So, anyone to add, with qualifications or otherwise?

I think Simon Powell was the one of the few that got Phil to sell some of his published work. That’s how I wound up with the box art Phil did for the X-Men Sega Genesis game. I didn’t even know he was the artist until Simon posted it and up until that point could find no credit on who had done the artwork.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:43 PM, Mephisto said:

I think Simon Powell was the one of the few that got Phil to sell some of his published work. That’s how I wound up with the box art Phil did for the X-Men Sega Genesis game. I didn’t even know he was the artist until Simon posted it and up until that point could find no credit on who had done the artwork.

I was trying to get him to part with a page or two from Future’s End, Phantom Stranger. Well, as they say in the comics: “sigh”.

On 2/7/2022 at 7:33 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

Funny I always though Phil painted his pieces - didn't realise he was a digital artist.

I know that digital work and monoprints are generally disliked in this forum. I won't go into it but I disagree with that general consensus. Would you buy a monoprint of Phil's work if he decides to produce them?

I should add that I'm a big fan of Phil Noto's work and have commissioned him many times.  I would absolutely buy monoprints of his work; in fact, I already have my wish list ready.  I don't know if he'll ever sell his interior pages or covers in that format.  But I do know that he has sold prints of some of his digital covers; his prints aren't limited edition, but he only sells them for a limited time, just after the release of the comics, and only at conventions.  I suppose it all comes down to whether or not it's worth his time and effort to go that route.  

I was against monoprints in the beginning, but they've grown on me, and I'm okay with the idea now.  After all, the artist still did spend the time and skill to draw the piece.  It comes down to how much of it was the artist's work, and how much was computer assisted.  You'd be surprised by how many 'analog' artists aren't 100% analog anyways.  For example, some artists draw it out on the computer, make a blue-line print, and will then ink/color it by hand.  On Feb 4, 2022, Mark Brooks posted this piece on his Instagram, and responded to a question from fellow artist, Mike Krome.

image.png.9232e5b8f099191a0127359ee6629cd7.png image.png.2df632fddef32bb16ae3d10b4439b71a.png

image.png.974d05813dc1f7dd205edbb12648cae3.png

Though it does amaze me how much some of the monoprints go for.  I've seen some go for between $1K to $3K, and that's not even ones from the top-tier artists.  But I will only buy a monoprint if:

1) The artist has drawn published sequential comic art.  I want to support true comic artists (those that love comics, grinded it out, paid their dues, and added value to the industry).  I find there are too many 'outside' artists (that don't have meaningful knowledge of the characters) that are being hired just to do covers.  

2) The artist's analog work is just as impressive as their digital work.  If their analog work looks pale in comparison, then you know they are just a digital hack.

P.S.  I hope I haven't sidetracked this thread with my monoprint thoughts; I know that topic has been debated nicely in other threads.  If anyone feels that I have, please say so, and I will gladly delete this post. 

Edited by modelmaker

On 2/8/2022 at 5:04 AM, modelmaker said:

I should add that I'm a big fan of Phil's work and have commissioned him many times.  I would absolutely buy monoprints of his work; in fact, I already have my wish list ready.

Seems as we have similar tastes! I am desperately after work by Phil Noto but don't think I'll ever get the chance to see him at a convention. Nice to know there's some chance of owning a piece, albeit quite slim.

On 2/8/2022 at 5:04 AM, modelmaker said:

P.S.  I hope I haven't sidetracked this thread with my monoprint thoughts; I know that topic has been debated nicely in other threads.  If anyone feels that I have, please say so, and I will gladly delete this post. 

Thanks for your views on this. It's nice to know someone shares your thoughts on this subject in the hobby. I'll keep my response brief in an effort to not sideline the thread as you mentioned but I too also have similar criteria regarding the purchase of monoprints. Namely, it has to be an exceptional piece (in my opinion). I am surprised to hear of monoprints going for $3K though, who is selling these?