• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I Get Scammed? Restoration & Lessons Learned
5 5

49 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2022 at 8:37 AM, Pontoon said:

If it's all over now, why can't we know who the seller was?

I will reveal the seller, but not at this time.

I purchased several comics from them as well as others and they'll soon be back from grading. In addition, I purchased comics from WorldWide Comics (Texas) and Cyber Comics & Toys (Washington) spanning a period of years. I will post the condition they assigned as the time of the sale followed by CGC's grade.

On 1/30/2022 at 8:21 PM, KCOComics said:

Does the seller sell only raw books? 

There are a few sellers known for this scam. Kellysuperheros being one and Beatlesbluecat being another. I'm sure there are others... 

Both sellers sell only raw books. Kellysuperheros tends to sell beautiful looking raw books and will bury the restoration in the notes, knowing perfectly well it will be overlooked, but he can prove it was in the description.

BlueCat will buy graded books in F to VF range, crack them out and sell them as NM for multiples of the purchase price. 

If a big ticket book, sold online, isn't graded in today's market, you have to really ask yourself why? 

OK, I found one of the examples you referenced (not the person I purchased from). You read all of the way through the verbiage about their experience and accurate grading and then all the way at the bottom, last sentence...Slight color-touch, trimmed. Which we all know means Restored. Note that under "Details about the item" the, "seller has not specified the condition of the item." At best, even if this comic came back graded a 9.0, with the C rating it will get on the quality of the Restoration, it would be worth, at most, $10,000.

I wonder if within eBay you would get a refund because he included in the Item Specification, "Grade: 9.4NM".

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.24.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.33.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.36.06 AM.png

On 2/4/2022 at 11:42 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

OK, I found one of the examples you referenced (not the person I purchased from). You read all of the way through the verbiage about their experience and accurate grading and then all the way at the bottom, last sentence...Slight color-touch, trimmed. Which we all know means Restored. Note that under "Details about the item" the, "seller has not specified the condition of the item." At best, even if this comic came back graded a 9.0, with the C rating it will get on the quality of the Restoration, it would be worth, at most, $10,000.

I wonder if within eBay you would get a refund because he included in the Item Specification, "Grade: 9.4NM".

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.24.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.33.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.36.06 AM.png

scam artist with many years of experience ripping off collectors.