• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible to remove Pen Ink?

6 posts in this topic

I just bought an original copy of Spider-Man #62. The comic seems to be in almost near mint condition with the exception of one thing. The original owner wrote his name in ink at the bottom of the cover and on the first page. Is there a way to remove the ink without destroying the value? Please see the pictures included. If there is a link to another thread that addresses this, pleas point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Spider-Man #62 Cover.jpg

Spider-Man #62 First Page 1.jpg

To the OP, there is no non-restorative way to remove ink from paper as ink is fundamentally different from graphite.  Where as a pencil mark is on the surface of the paper and can be erased, ink is absorbed into the fibers of the paper and is more difficult to remove.  There are solvents that will remove ink, however, they damage the paper as well and would reduce the value of the book much more than just leaving the ink.

I wouldn't mess with it, personally.  If you want a copy without the name, find a different copy.  2c