• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Arthur Adams Commissions
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm looking to buy some original art or commissions by Arthur Adams. It is my friend's birthday in a few months and he's turning 40 so I would like to surprise him. If you have any and you are looking to sell, please let me know. I'm fairly open to characters but my friend is fairly die-hard Marvel.

Thanks!

Hello, I know Arthur Adams just finished up a commision list that he opened about a month ago only on instagram. He mentioned he might do it again soon.If you don't mind waiting you might get lucky on instagram but you'll have to be quick.He opened like 10 spots at $1K each and gave a notice before he opened the list..  He did them pretty fast ,posted them up to see and they look amazing.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:24 PM, Snaakpac said:

Hello, I know Arthur Adams just finished up a commision list that he opened about a month ago only on instagram. He mentioned he might do it again soon.If you don't mind waiting you might get lucky on instagram but you'll have to be quick.He opened like 10 spots at $1K each and gave a notice before he opened the list..  He did them pretty fast ,posted them up to see and they look amazing.

ugh, that is annoying. I am on his commission list for a few years now, never heard a peep from him. And I follow up periodically.

now I am annoyed

I have 2 guys who promised it would get done and since it is no money down I was fine with waiting...Art Adams and JHW3. (I am leaving off Travis Charest because that is 20 years now and I get no reply if I message Morger.)

On 2/3/2022 at 9:25 AM, Bird said:

ugh, that is annoying. I am on his commission list for a few years now, never heard a peep from him. And I follow up periodically.

What was even more annoying was actually being at the con he was supposed to attend, and missing the post being busy with con stuff. meh

On 2/3/2022 at 9:34 AM, Bird said:

now I am annoyed

I have 2 guys who promised it would get done and since it is no money down I was fine with waiting...Art Adams and JHW3. (I am leaving off Travis Charest because that is 20 years now and I get no reply if I message Morger.)

How's this one for you? Back when he had his (old?) rep handling them, I signed up for one at Comic-Con in San Diego. I was told not to expect anything for a few months. A few months for an Art Adams piece? No problemo!

So I waited 6 months and then ping'd his rep. Just a little reminder. He told me he had not gotten around to it. No worries.

I waited three months later and asked a second time. Still no luck. Was told HE would contact ME when the commission was done.

Three months later was Comic-Con again. I rolled up to his booth first thing on preview night and there were already people of course gathered around. Lo and behold I see my commission sitting on the table... with a price tag on it! And the price was double what I'd been quoted when I asked for it!!

"Hey John.... Isn't that my commission I signed up for on last year's list?" Both John and Art kinda mumbled and looked down at the ground in unison, unable to make eye contact.

John did sell me the piece at the previously quoted price. He of course sold out all his stuff by Thursday. Mine would have been gone if I hadn't showed up there on Preview Night. I could just see myself inquiring 3 more months later. "Nope, sorry, Art still hasn't gotten around to it"

Epilog: I never could look at it without getting a little cranky. Sold it a few months later. 

On 2/3/2022 at 4:17 PM, J.Sid said:

Epilog: I never could look at it without getting a little cranky. Sold it a few months later. 

I am not there yet but today was the first real obvious clue that the list might not mean anything.

I've had my love for their art ruined by both Michael Lark and Teddy Kristiansen. Lark ended up doing a piece overnight (after forever) and it was stunning but I was annoyed with the whole ordeal. Nick Pitarra too, I was in on him early on and he apologized eventually and sent me my money back (I was done with the whole thing by then, he said he would still do it for me gratis anyway but again nothing); he paraphrased me in his his response saying I was an early fan willing to back it up with money when no one else was so he did understand in the end I think. Those 3 took money so that was annoying but I don't (or maybe didn't until now) really mind it taking forever if they get to it and somewhat in order.

well, it is what it is. it is so much nicer when they surprise you with being awesome, innit? Nowlan, Kaluta, Perez, PCR, Cheung, Simonson, Julie Schwartz, Cockrum, so many more all awesome.

On 2/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, Bird said:

well, it is what it is. it is so much nicer when they surprise you with being awesome, innit? Nowlan, Kaluta, Perez, PCR, Cheung, Simonson, Julie Schwartz, Cockrum, so many more all awesome.

Totally agree.... but it's my "fail" stories that get all the clicks! :D 

Edited by J.Sid
typo

On 2/3/2022 at 6:56 PM, J.Sid said:

Totally agree.... but it's my "fail" stories that get all the clicks! :D 

laugh it up, but I garONtee I get grief for mentioning at least one of those names

what artists and their...apologists...fail to realize is they lost a fan. As in FANatic. Someone who sought them out and offered them money to do their thing, someone they do not know who has invested themselves with hope and interest in an artist and watching them grow and maybe even become a name.

Anyway, not gonna stop being a fan of Art Adams in any reality. And he's cool, he does not owe me anything. And sorry to derail OPs thread.

And chalk up a "fail" for me for not mentioning that in my 20 yrs going to Comic-Con, I've probably talked to Art a dozen times, and every other time he was nothing but a gentleman. And that one instance it wasn't even him I was dealing with, it was his at-the-time rep who was there with him.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm sorry to hear that a lot of people haven't had the best of luck getting a commission. It does sound extremely difficult. 

I guess  I will keep at it and hopefully find something. Cheers.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:05 PM, LorneStar said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm sorry to hear that a lot of people haven't had the best of luck getting a commission. It does sound extremely difficult. 

I guess  I will keep at it and hopefully find something. Cheers.

Just the nature of the beast with an artist as popular as he is. On a positive note, a few years ago at SDCC, he did a remark for me on a print I bought from him. Basically for free. 

On 2/3/2022 at 12:25 PM, Bird said:

Sorry to hear this, this post is dredging up some stories.

so...the SF art show had another round of Art Adams pieces and I was really thinking maybe the hobby was passed me by. 'WTF, what is the point anymore' basically.  But I tossed another message via instagram the other day and then today was in FB messenger and saw that I had tried that once as well. I sent a message this morning and guess what, a reply! So maybe it will happen after all. At least I have contact now!!!

It's already more than twice the original $1k price, but one of Arthur's recent commissions from last month (February) is already on ComicLink now. It's a great Mohawk Storm piece, so it is Marvel and available. But secondhand they still go for quite a bit more because he is so hard to get a commission from. I live near Arthur and see him at a lot of shows and I always try to get a piece from him and rarely make it. I have made this list many times but generally too far down to get mine done, but twice in the past 15 years of trying I actually made the list and he did it. (most recently a month ago at the SF Comic Art Show where I picked up my piece) So it is hard to get art from him direct, and the prices are even higher from someone else. But in case you still want it, here's the link to the auction and a pic.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2022mar%26itemtype%3D1%23Item_1560713&id=1560713&itemType=1

It's not mine and I have no dog in this fight but figured I'd point you at it. Good luck on the hunt!

RADF4457202234_103552.jpeg