• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the 90's not be modern age?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Well I was looking back and in 2004 there was a thread just like this. But it was someone asking when the 80's would spark the Copper era. But that did get me to thinking that for me personally I feel the early to mid 90's was the last normal paper page comic era. After that the overall look and feel of comics changed. With that said I also feel that the 90's books get flooded by all the new books and variants. At what point will early to mid 90's books not be considered "modern"? I mean that was almost 30 years ago plus....

On 2/7/2022 at 3:15 PM, KCode98 said:

I think it would help if this board had dates on the Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Copper.

There are various yardsticks people have used

The search function used to work too

Been some really good threads on the subject

I like CA 1982-1991. To me, Image and a few other overprinted books started the "Modern" age and the beginning of the end/crash of the late 90's. I'd love to see something like this. 

• COPPER AGE:1982-1991
  • "CHROMIUM" AGE: 1992-2002 (hinging around these...X-Men #1 - October 1991, Spawn #1 - May 1992, Death of Superman run in late 1992)
    • Chromium/foil covers, a new #1 "limited edition" every week, publishers out the wazoo, everyone/everything had their own series, cards/action figures, the news hyping up Superman 75 as your next 401k...then CRASH
  • MODERN AGE: 2003-present (Walking Dead #1)...felt like this is when the industry started dragging itself back in to relevance and this is an incredible one to hinge off of.

See the source image

Edited by AGGIEZ

On 2/8/2022 at 3:33 AM, Blankedboy said:

I mean, the 90’s is only ten years ago, so I guess it really is still The Modern Age.

Wait…

oh no….

Right there with you

On 2/8/2022 at 12:07 AM, 500Club said:

Always preferred GARBAGE for this time frame. :grin:

Drek :luhv:

On 2/8/2022 at 1:07 AM, 500Club said:

Always preferred GARBAGE for this time frame. :grin:

A lot of that "garbage" is now selling for ridiculous amounts of money these days. People drooling over ASM365...really? I tended to agree up until about 18 months ago when books like Youngblood #2 started selling for $200. One man's trash is now that same man's treasure...SMH...

On 2/8/2022 at 12:25 PM, AGGIEZ said:

A lot of that "garbage" is now selling for ridiculous amounts of money these days. People drooling over ASM365...really? I tended to agree up until about 18 months ago when books like Youngblood #2 started selling for $200. One man's trash is now that same man's treasure...SMH...

Depends if you define ‘garbage’ by value or quality. (shrug)

On 2/8/2022 at 1:29 PM, 500Club said:

Depends if you define ‘garbage’ by value or quality. (shrug)

HA! Good point. Personally, I loved reading early Spawn and Valiant books at the time, but you're right...most of the stuff out at that time was pure money-grab garbage. It now sells for more than it should, but that doesn't mean it isn't just more expensive garbage.  

On 2/8/2022 at 4:35 PM, AGGIEZ said:

HA! Good point. Personally, I loved reading early Spawn and Valiant books at the time, but you're right...most of the stuff out at that time was pure money-grab garbage. It now sells for more than it should, but that doesn't mean it isn't just more expensive garbage.  

Until 1990s books get $10,000+ prices, nothing is as expensive garbage as the $10,000+ limited edition variants of "nothing happens at all in this book" of the 2010s "modern" age.

On 2/8/2022 at 2:25 PM, AGGIEZ said:

The amount of Venom Lethal Protector 9.8 make me want to throw up. I swear it seems like 12 more show up for sale daily.

On 2/8/2022 at 8:23 PM, KCode98 said:

The amount of Venom Lethal Protector 9.8 make me want to throw up. I swear it seems like 12 more show up for sale daily.

It was the third biggest book of 1992.  https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1992.html

Amazing Spider-Man #361, also from 1992, came in 207th.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, lostboys said:

Guys really need to stop pooping on 90s comics.

Theres some real crapitty on the stands these days and they all have 17 covers each.

I dont see how thats any better.

It is so much worse.  Looking back at 1990s comics now, it's easy to figure out what's fun to collect, what's worth having, etc. 

Brand new comics are going to fail to maintain value 99% of the time, just like every other shelf full of brand new comics from any time in the past 50 years.

According to DC Comics via their app....

Golden Age = 1938-1956
Silver Age = 1956-1971
Bronze Age = 1971-1986
Modern Age = 1986-2011
New 52 = 2011-2016
Rebirth = 2016+

Which is at least good for a laugh. 

As for the current state of things I dropped almost everything just over a year ago.  A variant or 1:XX once or twice a year per issue is fun, several times a month is not.  Also getting creative direction fatigue, and cross eyed over trying to keep track of crossovers.