• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men 101 - Grade is In!
4 4

26 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Reaching out for some help grading an X-Men 101 that I recently picked up on eBay. The book presents well and doesn't appear to have ever been pressed. The book is a Mark Jewelers variant which was a happy surprise since it wasn't advertised as such. The only 2 major issues are some noticeable color bleeding through to the front and back covers from the interior pages. I've been told that this is pretty common on books of this vintage but its the first time that I've seen it. The other (bigger) flaw is a less than half inch tear along the outer edge of the back cover and the last 4 interior pages.... The tear is clean and difficult to see with the book closed but its there. Any ideas what this might grade out to with a press? Thinking of sending it in to CGC for Chris Claremont's signature. Thank you in advance for the collective wisdom.

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

Edited by Nilo2

I cannot answer your questions on pressing since I do not use this service.

Uneven trim of top cover, slight edge wear, slightly blunted corners, slight spine roll, a couple of spine ticks that break color, very slight staple tear on top staple, 3/8" tear on outer edge of rear cover and 4 interior pages.

Without taking the tears into consideration... with the tears a 1 point drop in grade to FN/VF 7.0???

8.5 VERY FINE+ (VF+):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Fine but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

8.0 VERY FINE (VF):  Back to Top
An excellent copy with outstanding eye appeal. A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. Spine is almost completely flat with a possible minor color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present. Paper is cream to tan and supple. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

I agree.  No more than 7.0 due to the tears going through the back/pages.  I would get a clean and press to make sure it looks so nice they wouldn't dare go lower than that, if it comes out nice enough, maybe they gift you up to 7.5?  :)    

Thanks for all the feedback, the book is packed up and will be shipping out to CGC this week for a Claremont SS, clean & press. I’ll post the results as soon as the book is back. Hopefully it won’t be 12 months from now!….🙄

On 7/22/2022 at 7:50 AM, Funnybooks said:

congrats :applause: and a headscratcher :wavingwhiteflag:

On 7/22/2022 at 11:24 AM, gradejunky said:

I would have said 7.0 tops even after clean and press.  Book looks pretty good in the slab but I'm thinking gift grade on this one.  It seems CGC grading is all over the place right now?

nice book (thumbsu

It's a little shocking to see a book with a 3/8-in. tear going through one of the covers and multiple interior pages get an 8.0.  But yes, CGC grading is all over the place right now... as you'll soon see with my FF 176 that's on its way back.

On 7/22/2022 at 12:59 PM, Engr62 said:

It's a little shocking to see a book with a 3/8-in. tear going through one of the covers and multiple interior pages get an 8.0.  But yes, CGC grading is all over the place right now... as you'll soon see with my FF 176 that's on its way back.

absolutely, unless standards have changed (shrug)

single page/wrap...ok...multiple pages...c'mon

@grendelbo @Galen130

I actually didn't give an estimate on this book for some reason.  I have to agree with @Funnybooks though, this is typical CGC shenanigans.  If the OP plans to sell this, you may want to disclose that info.  I, personally, wouldn't buy it if I didn't know what I now know.  If you're keeping it, good.  It will be yours and CGC's dirty little secret. :whistle:

Looking at the book in it's holder it looks clean and sharp. If those tears are it's only significant flaw then an 8.0, although generous, is fair.

8.0 An attractive collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.

I agree grades lately have been all all over the place - some consistent with expectations, others high and still more books coming back with grades lower than you'd think. 

Pays to have CCS press a book that's for sure.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:39 PM, grendelbo said:

Looking at the book in it's holder it looks clean and sharp. If those tears are it's only significant flaw then an 8.0, although generous, is fair.

8.0 An attractive collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.

I agree grades lately have been all all over the place - some consistent with expectations, others high and still more books coming back with grades lower than you'd think. 

Pays to have CCS press a book that's for sure.

@grendelbo              voice of reason

@Galen130    and I    voices of DooM

Edited by Funnybooks

On 7/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, Funnybooks said:

@grendelbo              voice of reason

@Galen130    and I    voices of DooM

Guess it's just The Two Amigos.....:sorry: