• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a good finder’s fee? [2022 Update]
1 1

57 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2022 at 2:00 PM, thehumantorch said:

If the seller is asking too much and the buyer will have to pay too much the chances of you getting a finder's fee is poor.  

The seller on the other hand could be willing to give 10% to get his $50K if all his other offers are $20K.  But I'm sure the next guy will offer him $35K and the seller will hold steady and the whole thing will be moot.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:20 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

It all comes down to whether or not the collection has been picked at all.  Are there multiples?

Yes for instance multiples Tec 871s and even 2nd printings. And we’re talking high grades. It’s a pretty complete collection.. can’t say it has a Hulk 377 3rd print .. but it could .. bagged and boarded yes

Edited by littledoom

On 2/9/2022 at 10:51 AM, shadroch said:

The best way to get rid of garbage books is not to buy them in the first place.  When possible, I find it better to offer more for less. If a person is asking a quarter a book, I'd rather give him $1 a book for twenty percent of his stuff and leave the rest.

One shot kinda deal, one payment deal. Take it all or nada

On 2/9/2022 at 10:54 AM, 1Cool said:

200 long boxes is what - 50,000 books?  Unless they have been picked over like crazy why didn't you buy them at that price?  Plenty of 80s books where you could get the $50K back in a hurry if most keys are there.

I'm not sure how many people have 50K laying around to do this. And the time to sell them. Or even store them. 

On 2/9/2022 at 2:35 PM, littledoom said:

Yes for instance multiples Tec 871s and even 2nd printings. And we’re talking high grades. It’s a pretty complete collection.. can’t say it has a Hulk 377 3rd print .. but it could .. bagged and boarded yes

How about the ASMs?  238, 252, 300, etc?

On 2/9/2022 at 12:19 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

How about the ASMs?  238, 252, 300, etc?

I have not gone through every single box nor do I have the time to.. this is the sellers stuff and I don’t even think he’s gone through every box. And by that I mean comic by comic. He’s had them for many years and has recently started rediscovering what’s inside them. They’ve been sitting in a big room for roughly ten years. 

Edited by littledoom

On 2/9/2022 at 2:35 PM, littledoom said:

Those are yucky modern books - is it an assorted collection that somehow has ballooned into 200 long boxes?  If it's mostly DC vs Marvel will significantly effect price offered.  

On 2/9/2022 at 2:46 PM, wombat said:

I'm not sure how many people have 50K laying around to do this. And the time to sell them. Or even store them. 

Quite true.  It would be a part time job for a couple years to do this amount of books justice with storage expenses and other costs.  I passed on a similar sized collection a  few years ago and I occasionally kick myself since I know there was long boxes of books that have popped over the last 5 years that would have netted a small fortune.  I had just bought a 80 long box collection a year prior and just didn't have the time or network to sell off 200 long boxes at the time.  But the money is definitely there for someone to buy a large collection for $1 a book and make a killing depending on the books. 

On 2/9/2022 at 12:37 PM, littledoom said:

One shot kinda deal, one payment deal. Take it all or nada

They all are, until they aren't.  Keep your eye on it as I doubt anyone will meet that asking price.

On 2/9/2022 at 1:01 PM, 1Cool said:

Those are yucky modern books - is it an assorted collection that somehow has ballooned into 200 long boxes?  If it's mostly DC vs Marvel will significantly effect price offered.  

I would rather take a rare modern key than an common 80s key. Say Goon 1 vs Thor 337

On 2/9/2022 at 4:24 PM, littledoom said:

I would rather take a rare modern key than an common 80s key. Say Goon 1 vs Thor 337

I’d agree to that example 100% but getting a ton of rare modern books in a collection is well . . rare.  The number of collections with multiple nice books like Thor 337 or X-Men 141 are way more common and can bring in a ton of cash.  Let us know how it goes.

On 2/9/2022 at 2:52 PM, 1Cool said:

I’d agree to that example 100% but getting a ton of rare modern books in a collection is well . . rare.  The number of collections with multiple nice books like Thor 337 or X-Men 141 are way more common and can bring in a ton of cash.  Let us know how it goes.

Yeah.. someone earlier scoffed at Malibu Sun 90s comics.. but I’d take that whole preview run in a heartbeat.. insanely rare as a full set with previews of major 90s indie characters 

On 2/9/2022 at 4:55 PM, littledoom said:

Yeah.. someone earlier scoffed at Malibu Sun 90s comics.. but I’d take that whole preview run in a heartbeat.. insanely rare as a full set with previews of major 90s indie characters 

Dont have the full set, but most of it

On 2/9/2022 at 4:42 PM, The Meta said:

Dont have the full set, but most of it

I would either pass them to friends or put em back in the dollar boxes .. I knew they were good at the time (about five yrs ago) but not valuable… no longer!

Edited by littledoom

On 2/9/2022 at 8:56 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:
On 2/9/2022 at 8:52 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Undercut. 9.99% yo.

Too stressful. Makes me think of 99.99, the amount of germs we can kill. I'll never sleep soundly until we can get that last .01%. I mean, we haven't even made any progress on this number. What are we doing, people? 

This belongs in the General Science Thread. :baiting:lol