• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a question about CGC Gold labels

13 posts in this topic

Yesterday I received Ryan Ottley signatures, and at the store he signed them at, after you got the comics signed you could turn them into CGC to get graded. I did not turn mine in cause I did not have enough money. I do however still have my receipts that say on the receipt the date, and who signed my comics. If I were to turn these comics into CGC in the future along with my receipts, is it possible for me to receive a gold label? Is there any way to get a gold label if you have proof of the signature, but did not turn it into the CGC at the time like I did? Is there an option where CGC looks at the signatures in detail to verify it is a real signature?

No.  in order for a book to qualify for gold label, CGC must retain possession of a book from signing to encapsulation.  

CGC doesn’t verify signatures that they didn’t witness, and the moment you walked away with the book it became, in their eyes, unwitnessed.

Small chance you can if in fact you are Ryan Ottley, or you live with Cgc witness and they never left the chain of custody of the Cgc witness

i would add that if you couldn’t afford it that day it probably won’t be a good use of your money in the near future

On 2/13/2022 at 1:01 PM, MaxMan12005 said:
  1. If I were to turn these comics into CGC in the future along with my receipts, is it possible for me to receive a gold label?
  2. Is there any way to get a gold label if you have proof of the signature, but did not turn it into the CGC at the time like I did?
  3. Is there an option where CGC looks at the signatures in detail to verify it is a real signature?
  1. No.
  2. No.
  3. No.

I am 53 years old and have been colleting since I was 8 years old.  I have an Amazing Spider-man #1 that was signed on the inside cover by Stan Lee.  The book was signed long before CGC offered the signature service.  I have a polaroid of him signing it, which clearly shows a Stan Lee that is younger, a pre-dates a time when CGC could have witnessed the signature.  I did sent it in many years ago (along with the photograph) and I got a Blue Label with a note saying there is writing on the inside cover.  What are my options with this book, as it seems unfair & clear that the event happened prior to the beginning of this service?  Are there exceptions that can be made?

On 2/13/2022 at 1:01 PM, MaxMan12005 said:

If I were to turn these comics into CGC in the future along with my receipts, is it possible for me to receive a gold label? 

Yes... at CBCS.  They offer sig verification whereas CGC does not.

On 2/14/2022 at 7:25 PM, robertlittle68 said:

I am 53 years old and have been colleting since I was 8 years old.  I have an Amazing Spider-man #1 that was signed on the inside cover by Stan Lee.  The book was signed long before CGC offered the signature service.  I have a polaroid of him signing it, which clearly shows a Stan Lee that is younger, a pre-dates a time when CGC could have witnessed the signature.  I did sent it in many years ago (along with the photograph) and I got a Blue Label with a note saying there is writing on the inside cover.  What are my options with this book, as it seems unfair & clear that the event happened prior to the beginning of this service?  Are there exceptions that can be made?

deleted comment.   Guess I'm not allowed to delete the post itself.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 2/14/2022 at 4:25 PM, robertlittle68 said:

I don't think anything in this regard has changed since you previously submitted it, with CGC.

You have options with other companies, if you think that is the right move for you. 

The point is, CGC does not have any kind of apparatus to verify the legitimacy or accuracy of signatures.  That is simply not a service they provide.  Essentially you're asking a chef at a restaurant to make your steak into a beef hummus dish.  It doesn't seem like the hardest thing ever and most chefs in theory could do it, but they choose not to run a restaurant where you can just order completely off the menu, and they don't have anyone qualified to make hummus at a high enough level.  And certainly there are restaurants where you can order a steak AND order a beef hummus, but those restaurants aren't as popular as this one currently.