• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost/Possibly Stolen Cover Art NOW FOUND!
2 2

22 posts in this topic

On January 17, 2021 I got an order request for the cover art to Hawkeye vol. 5 #13 by Julian Totino Tedesco. I sent a PayPal invoice to the buyer and it was paid quickly. I packed the art up and printed out the shipping label. I took that package, along with others to the Post Office in Rosenberg, TX on the 18th. I usually drop off all my outgoing packages at this post office since the North Houston Distribution Center is the next stop in the delivery chain. All the packages were scanned when I dropped them off. All were scanned when they left the Post Office later that day.

I periodically check the tracking on packages I ship out. Every package that got shipped out on the 18th was delivered by the 24th, but this one. On the 28th, I called USPS to see if they could run a trace and find where this one package was in the system. I was told that I would hear back within 2-3 business days with an answer.

On February 2nd I hadn't heard from anyone, so I called and the representative on the phone said that they have determined that the package is LOST. I contacted the buyer to check and see if the art had somehow arrived without being scanned. He informed me that it hadn't show up. I apologized and told him I would issue him a refund and file the postal insurance claim myself.

I filed the claim which initiated a missing mail search as well. Today I checked the status of the insurance claim and it has been approved to be paid, so I will get the money back that I refunded the buyer.

Unfortunately that means that the art either got damaged, lost or maybe stolen. I am posting this along with my scan of the art, so that if you see this piece in someone's collection or offered for sale please contact me at the link below or the US Postal Inspection Service at https://www.uspis.gov/

Here's the tracking number for the lost package and the missing mail search ID

USPS Tracking 9406111699000543626259
Missing Mail Search Request ID 13801525

https://abeloriginalart.com/contact/

Hawkeye_v5_13_Cover_OA_CAF_2000.jpg

Edited by cmaeditor
Updated with new info

On 2/15/2022 at 10:19 AM, cmaeditor said:

On January 17, 2021 I got an order request for the cover art to Hawkeye vol. 5 #13 by Julian Totino Tedesco. I sent a PayPal invoice to the buyer and it was paid quickly. I packed the art up and printed out the shipping label. I took that package, along with others to the Post Office in Rosenberg, TX on the 18th. I usually drop off all my outgoing packages at this post office since the North Houston Distribution Center is the next stop in the delivery chain. All the packages were scanned when I dropped them off. All were scanned when they left the Post Office later that day.

I periodically check the tracking on packages I ship out. Every package that got shipped out on the 18th was delivered by the 24th, but this one. On the 28th, I called USPS to see if they could run a trace and find where this one package was in the system. I was told that I would hear back within 2-3 business days with an answer.

On February 2nd I hadn't heard from anyone, so I called and the representative on the phone said that they have determined that the package is LOST. I contacted the buyer to check and see if the art had somehow arrived without being scanned. He informed me that it hadn't show up. I apologized and told him I would issue him a refund and file the postal insurance claim myself.

I filed the claim which initiated a missing mail search as well. Today I checked the status of the insurance claim and it has been approved to be paid, so I will get the money back that I refunded the buyer.

Unfortunately that means that the art either got damaged, lost or maybe stolen. I am posting this along with my scan of the art, so that if you see this piece in someone's collection or offered for sale please contact me at the link below or the US Postal Inspection Service at https://www.uspis.gov/

Here's the tracking number for the lost package and the missing mail search ID

USPS Tracking 9406111699000543626259
Missing Mail Search Request ID 13801525

https://abeloriginalart.com/contact/

Hawkeye_v5_13_Cover_OA_CAF_2000.jpg

I will keep my eyes open. Really absurd for this to be “lost.” Luckily insurance covers the financial loss.

I empathize with the buyer and with you the seller. The buyer is not out of pocket financially but most likely will never get to cherish the art work they evidently cared enough about to purchase.

I empathize with you the seller. It’s always a bit of “hold your breath” gut test until the package you mail off arrives safely to the buyer. That didn’t happen and you feel awful that you were unable to get the art into the sellers hands and make them happy.

Most collectors on the buying or selling end of art feel a responsibility to act as a conservator, a protector of one of a kind art. When art goes missing be it theft or loss, there is an awful wound to that protective soul.

I am sorry this happened to both of you. You handled this professionally and the seller is lucky to deal with someone like you.

God willing I truly hope the art surfaces and maybe you two can hit the refresh button.

🍇 🦍 

I had a piece that was "lost" by USPS. After weeks of communicating with them and a couple of different case numbers, they eventually had someone walk the distribution line (or whatever sorting machine they use) and found it had fallen off the conveyor belt and was just sitting on the floor. Since it was a flat package, no one caught it or some mess.

Hope it turns up and hope the original buyer is no longer interested, cause I am! =)

On 2/17/2022 at 3:00 PM, cmaeditor said:

Good News! The tracking now shows that the package arrived at the North Houston Distribution Center as of Feb 16 at 11:37pm. I am calling USPS to find out what is going to happen now. I hope it's not damaged in any way.

Let us know with an update how it turns out please.

I talked to a Consumer Affairs Rep from the USPS. The package is being returned to me. The reo said that the Insurance Division would cancel the claim and I wouldn't have to worry about returning the payout check. Went to the Post Pffice this morning and no package yet, but the payout check was in my box. Now I have to wait until Tuesday to call and find out what's going to happen when the package gets back to me.

I just checked the tracking again, and rather than send the package back to me like I was told would happen Thursday evening. USPS tried to deliver it to the buyer. He wasn't home so a notice was left. This is becoming a real pain in my side. Now I have a customer who might take possession of art they have already gotten a refund for and an insurance check I can't deposit since the piece has been found and will most likely be delivered on Tuesday. Waiting on a call back from the USPS right now to see what is going to be done.

On 2/19/2022 at 2:56 PM, cmaeditor said:

I just checked the tracking again, and rather than send the package back to me like I was told would happen Thursday evening. USPS tried to deliver it to the buyer. He wasn't home so a notice was left. This is becoming a real pain in my side. Now I have a customer who might take possession of art they have already gotten a refund for and an insurance check I can't deposit since the piece has been found and will most likely be delivered on Tuesday. Waiting on a call back from the USPS right now to see what is going to be done.

Fed Ex Next?

On 2/19/2022 at 2:34 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Fed Ex Next?

I am thinking about using UPS. Their 3-Day select service is priced about the same as Priority Mail, and in all the times I have had anything shipped to me via UPS, I haven't seen a package get lost in the system for a month without any updates.

On 2/24/2022 at 1:21 AM, thethedew said:

Any news?

I was finally able to get in touch with the local Post Office in Oakland and it's being returned to me now. I am going to make sure it wasn't damaged and then reach out to the original buyer to see if they still want it. If not, it's going back for sale on my website.

On 2/26/2022 at 2:22 PM, cmaeditor said:

The package was at the counter when I went to the PO Box today. it looks like there is no damage of any sort. I've contacted the Original Buyer to see if they still want to purchase it. Gonna probably ship via UPS this time if the buyer wants it.

Ship UPS?   NO!!!